Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m trying so hard to read the milkman by Anna Burns. It’s great but I need to be very awake to read it and as I read by night I'm losing concentration.

I think it’s a book best read in little bites. Anyone else read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Ipso wrote: »
    Ulysses. I think my voyage is tougher than the one the Greek lads had.

I finished it a while back, tough going but well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I recommend reading this book if you are into GAA or Dublin GAA in particular:

'Dublin: The Chaos Years: How the Dubs Made a Mess of Things for So Long - and How They Turned It Around' by Neil Cotter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dublin-Chaos-Things-Turned-Around/product-reviews/1844884317

Great for anyone who can remember the years 1996-2010 (It has me cursing reading it)
    Also good for anyone who would like to know what happened in that era, there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff in the book.
    Some former Dublin players do not come across well in it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I finished it a while back, tough going but well worth it!

I think I'm going to throw in the towel, and maybe take up the journey at a later point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Inside Rehab: The Surprising Truth About Addiction Treatment--and How to Get Help That Works by Anne Fletcher.

Summary: Don't go to rehab. Any. Ever. And avoid AA.

Note that this is about Rehab facilities in the US. I would not expect Ireland to be better, probably worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm currently reading The Years with Laura Diaz by Carlos Fuentes. Good but very long, so I am finding it slow going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

After reading Micharl Caine's 'Blowing the bloody door off' (worth a read) I got interested in one of his movies but decided to read the book first.

Its an oldie and led to Michael Caine starring in the 1961 movie adaptation;

The Ipcress File by Len Deighton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Got Mythos by Stephen Fry for Xmas. Very good, explains all the mythology without sounding too dry and dull and yes....everything that went wrong in mythological Greece was because Zeus couldnt keep his little lightning bolt in his pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Noveight wrote: »
    Starting 1984 by George Orwell later.

Looking forward to it.

It's a very good read - read it a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Bit behind the times but finally got reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz. Great read but I’ve read lots of Holocaust survivor books so wasn’t as shocked as some people have been after reading it.

Also finished Noel Fitzpatrick The Supervet’s autobiography, “Listening to the Animals”. A very interesting autobiography and have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Finished it in 2 days over Christmas.

On to “Educated” by Tara Westover now.. finding it fascinating so far. About 3/4 of the way through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Just started reading In the Galway Silence, the latest Jack Taylor novel by Ken Bruen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sadiesligo

Just finished importance of being aisling. Really struggled with it. Very disappointed as I loved the first one. Found this one more serious and didn't warm to any of the characters. Can't believe it got such great reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

smeal wrote: »
    Bit behind the times but finally got reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz. Great read but I’ve read lots of Holocaust survivor books so wasn’t as shocked as some people have been after reading it.

Also finished Noel Fitzpatrick The Supervet’s autobiography, “Listening to the Animals”. A very interesting autobiography and have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Finished it in 2 days over Christmas.

On to “Educated” by Tara Westover now.. finding it fascinating so far. About 3/4 of the way through

My daughter read this just after we were home from Krakow and a visit to Auschwitz. She said she was able to relate a lot of the story and descriptions to our visit to the camp.

Its one I'll read, but the memories of Auschwitz and particularly Birkenau (which I found particularly harrowing) are still raw enough so I think I'll give the book a little time before I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just finished reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" - fascinating read but also very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Igotadose wrote: »
    Inside Rehab: The Surprising Truth About Addiction Treatment--and How to Get Help That Works by Anne Fletcher.

Summary: Don't go to rehab. Any. Ever. And avoid AA.

Note that this is about Rehab facilities in the US. I would not expect Ireland to be better, probably worse.

Ooooh must read that - I've experienced pretty much every rehab centre in Ireland, would be interested to compare notes! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Just finished reading:
    • White Fang by Jack London; Decent read and I'm glad I finished it. Admittedly I was close to giving up early on because it simply wasn't interesting me.

• Let The Universe Help You!: How to Get All The Money That You Want In An Honest And Fulfilling Way by M Alexander; What a load of bollocks that was. Will appeal to those who believe in the healing powers of essential oils and salt lamps. Preaches the power of truly believing that something will happen in order to make it happen. Used a scenario of a girl in college who kept failing this exam, but then discovered the power of belief and amazingly she passed next time.

Gave up on:
    • Supernatural: Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind by Graham Hancock; I really wanted to love this book because I'm a big fan of GH but it just felt so needlessly long that I was forcing myself to read it. Made it about 85% of the way through the book and I can't face it anymore. I will probably go back and finish it for the sake of completeness.

Next up:
    • Elevation by Stephen King - First time reading a Stephen King novel. Figured I'd start with some recent short work to get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Hegemony or Survival by Noam Chowsky, about the USA's quest for global dominance. And he doesn't hold back either.
    And Vietnam by Max Hastings

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Milkman...totally gave up, don't have time to read something that I am not enjoying.

John Boyne,the hearts invisible furies is what I am reading right now,almost finished and I have loved it,must get more of his books cause I liked the boy in the striped pyjamas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Currently reading Markevicz: A Most Outrageous Rebel by Lindie Naughton. I'm really enjoying it so far and am learning so much more about the Countess and the Rebel Leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Fear Index by Robert Harris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

David Baldacci-Long Road to Mercy

Normally I don’t mind Baldacci but this has to be one of the worst written books I’ve ever had the displeasure of forcing my eyes to read.

I’ll finish it out of pigheadedness, but I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s a good story but the writing is chronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m trying to stick with the Milkman but I’m failing. The fact that I read when tired isn’t helping.
    Fir some light relief I read Nick Spaldings Fat Chance. I bloody loved it. A great read

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Just started "Chuck Feeney - the billionaire that wasn't" by Conor O'Clery

A good read so far........what an amazing man.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

"The Old Man And The Sea" by Earnest Hemingway...bought hardback version in Eason's donkey's years ago...decided to re-read it so extricated it the other day from the back of the bookcase.
    Price tag still on it...60p !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm reading Lee Childs "Echo Burning" - a far slower read than most other Lee Child /Jack Reacher books. I'm enjoying it and have no idea where this one will go. He said just said NO to helping someone - how can this be!?!!! Maybe its the wine talking! I can-t decide whether the books are better than the amazing life and backstory of the guy who writes them. Brideshead revisited anyone?(Original series of course). Same guy. Well worth the 2 hours of your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Terry Pratchett' Eric, discworld novels been going from the start, Eric like the first two has Rincewind in it who is a great character so really looking forward to finishing this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

Just finished Christmas present book
    David Baldacci's Long Road
    To Mercy..
    It was long and mercifully its finished.
    Total and utter rubbish..

The New New Thing. Michael Lewis is a great writer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

THE PSYCHOLOGY OF THE TRANSFERENCE by C.G. Jung

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

... Lee Child...I can-t decide whether the books are better than the amazing life and backstory of the guy who writes them. Brideshead revisited anyone?(Original series of course). Same guy...
    He worked for the production company. I think I'll continue giving most of the credit for Brideshead to Evelyn Waugh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement