Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I'm reading The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick at the moment. It is speculative fiction that explores what the world would be like if Nazi Germany and Japan had won the second World War and divided control of the world between them. It took me a little while to get into it but I am enjoying it. It's really interesting.

Other Philip K. Dick books I would recommend are A Maze of Death, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and A Scanner Darkly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Pretty Little Mistakes, by Heather McElhatton, it's like a modern choose-your-own-adventure book. It's fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

A Street Cat named Bob, a lovely read.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Reading the latest in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child...Past Tense.

Totally formulaic.....reliably brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    I'm reading The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick at the moment. It is speculative fiction that explores what the world would be like if Nazi Germany and Japan had won the second World War and divided control of the world between them. It took me a little while to get into it but I am enjoying it. It's really interesting.

Other Philip K. Dick books I would recommend are A Maze of Death, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and A Scanner Darkly.

I used to read a lot of PKD about 40 years ago; other authors I was keen on at the time included John Brunner and Robert Sheckley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Rosie Rant wrote: »

There's an Amazon-made tv series based on The Man in the High Castle. I've only seen the first episode, but it seems interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've started The Rosie Effect. I loved The Rosie Project, but in this, it feels a bit forced ... like the main character is an exaggerated caricature of himself. It's still funny though, just not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've two books on the go at the moment, one is a biography of Grace O'Malley/Granuaile, which is a lot duller than I was expecting, and I'm also rereading The Passage by Justin Cronin, which isn't really standing up to a repeat engagement, it has to be said.

After that, it'll be one of these:

52609062_10158177300207678_1763066061915160576_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=323fe783d2e23ce1c2d52965faa36dd2&oe=5D24B130

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm reading Erebus by Michael Palin at the moment. It's a biography of the Arctic and Antarctic adventures of the HMS Erebus in the 1800s. They only found the wreck of the ship in 2014. Enjoyable so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'm reading Erebus by Michael Palin at the moment. It's a biography of the Arctic and Antarctic adventures of the HMS Erebus in the 1800s. They only found the wreck of the ship in 2014. Enjoyable so far.

The Terror by Dan simmons is a fictionalisednaccount of it’s final expedition, well worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 TaitsClock

I have not started it yet but 'the dirt' by motley crue is waiting on my nightstand, only ever heard good things about it so i'm excited to get stuck into it very soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

CJ Sansom - Tombland. A very relaxing and enjoyable read.

The historical detail and its true-to-life feel makes Sansom's books thoroughly enjoyable, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The Forward Book of Poetry 2019.

Theres à wonderfully cynical poem about Monica from Friends which had me laughing deliriously, and lots of other smashers. If you're going to buy any book of poetry this year, give it a shot.

Lots of upcoming talent included in it too, and I don't mean that in that 'they're a bit sh1te yet', they're already master poets, and it's 12 quid well spent.

#IReallydon'tWorkForThem

Thanks for this. I'm going get myself a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Landscape and memory by Simon Schama, I have tried to read it a few times the subject is interesting but the book is very dense, basically, it's about history mythology and naturalism.

Although it does not mention it the book would give you a perspective on some of the mad mythologies and fantasies of the Na Fianna and of a pure Celtic past, which a lot of the 1916 leader were infused with.

Doesn't The Golden Bough by James Frazer touch on the same topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Ipso wrote: »
    Doesn't The Golden Bough by James Frazer touch on the same topic?

It is much broader than that. it's very interesting on the German culture of the forest and Nazism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Is the O'Malley book by Anne Chambers? I could not get past the first page of that one. There were lots and lots of long Gaelic names at the start of the book which was off putting. I have often thought how a writer could begin a book which was so heavy and ploughy. Surely she could have had a more engaging start to that story? I gave up. The names made no sense. There was no engagement. There was no sense of a good story about to be revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

John Connolly - The Wrath of Angels. First foray into John Connolly and randomly chosen. Also LOTR as a bedtime book, very slowly!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The Sixth Man by David Baldacci, a real page turner.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

bobbyss wrote: »
    Is the O'Malley book by Anne Chambers? I could not get past the first page of that one. There were lots and lots of long Gaelic names at the start of the book which was off putting. I have often thought how a writer could begin a book which was so heavy and ploughy. Surely she could have had a more engaging start to that story? I gave up. The names made no sense. There was no engagement. There was no sense of a good story about to be revealed.

Yeah, that's the one. I've a degree in History so have read many extremely dry biographies and textbooks in my time but Chambers just isn't a particularly good writer, imo. She repeats herself quite a lot and there are quite a few editorial errors in the book, which considering it's been in print for 40 years should really have been caught by now. I also have a degree in English so that kind of thing irks me beyond all reason :pac:

I'll finish it eventually but it's on hold for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

To Kill the Truth, a thriller by Sam Bourne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Maneaters and Marauders, by John Taylo, originally from Dublin.
    A fascinating collection of stories about cases when he was called to the assistance of terrified villagers being devistated by man eating lions, leopards & crocodiles, crop-raiding elephants and buffalo, during his 35 years in south eastern Africa.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Just finished the lost soul of eamon magee . And the ice man - confessions of a mafia hitman. Both very good. Half way through Kevin kegans autobiography. Its OK not great

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

John Waters new book censored by Easons but it can be bought "give us back our old roads" - enlightening!! read it and then listen to Gemma & him on interview
    https://youtu.be/yEnOwn4v2Yk

Hmmm.

https://www.easons.com/give-us-back-the-bad-roads-john-waters-9781782189015

Censored how?

Pherekydes wrote: »

I think they need to read a dictionary first.

Reading The Dark Room by Jonathan Moore, which was recommended by someone a few pages back. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Back to the classics, reading Uncle Silas by Joseph Sheridan LeFanu

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Just finished Hell Or Some Worse Place:Kinsale 1601 by Des Ekin.

A brilliant account of the Battle of Kinsale and the aftermath from the perspectives of the Irish, Spanish and English with a particular focus on General Juan del Águila who led the Spanish Armada into Kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier. It's a slow burner but i am hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Steve Cavanagh : The Liar :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement