Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

The Force by Don Winslow.
    New York based cop who is dirty and corrupt. Reminds me of the tv series The Wire...very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just finished Only Child by Rhiannon Navin. Had the makings of a good book if it wasn't ALL told from the viewpoint of a six-year-old boy, would have been interesting if the narration switched between him and his parents. Would have allowed for a lot more depth.

Next on the list is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey, been meaning to read this for quite a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Just finished Hell Or Some Worse Place:Kinsale 1601 by Des Ekin.

A brilliant account of the Battle of Kinsale and the aftermath from the perspectives of the Irish, Spanish and English with a particular focus on General Juan del Águila who led the Spanish Armada into Kinsale.

Hmmm
    Like the sound of that....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So do I, adding it to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dinner Lady

Just started Normal People by Sally Rooney....so far it's not doing anything for me....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've been let down (once again) by an ebay purchase not arriving so I'm wondering now about switching to a Kindle.

The last time I tried one I found it dull and hard to read, anyone got any suggestions?.

The book I'm waiting for is Company Commander by Russell Lewis.

With this let down I'm between books at the moment and dying for a read.

Anyone here in Dublin got Company Commander to burrow or sell?.

I've been let down (once again) by an ebay purchase not arriving so I'm wondering now about switching to a Kindle.

The last time I tried one I found it dull and hard to read, anyone got any suggestions?.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Have you tried asking the library to order it for you while you wait for a copy of your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I have the Kindle app on my phone and find it a lot better to use than the Kindle itself. I have the everything customised to my preferences and the bonus is I always have it with me if I have a few minutes to pass. I wouldn't go back to the Kindle itself at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Kindle is good to read when you want something right now immediately. It still pales in comparison to reading an actual book in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I, Partridge. Again! :)

It's in the library catalogue, and on the shelf in a few branches, so you won't have to wait. If you order today, it'll be with you in a couple of days (assuming you are a member of library somewhere in Ireland!). God, I love the libraries in Ireland since they hooked up all the branches :)

Thanks guys.. Re. the library, I really don't like visiting it. My nearest one is in a shopping center so there's the hassle of parking etc, plus its tucked away in an upper floor of the SC.

The phone app is an option but I read to get away from my phone!. One of the more positive things I've done in the last few years so to leave my phone switched off or in another room, and sometimes for hours. It really makes a difference to your day.
    It still pales in comparison to reading an actual book in my opinion.

THIS!. This is my main concern. I love a good read and part of that experience is getting excited at opening the cover for the first time, turning the pages, the weight of it, seeing my progress through the first pages to counting off the last and hoping the next book arrives before I close it on the last page

Sort of like we bought records years ago, that excitement of dropping the record from its sleeve.

Any of that make sense?.

I'm looking at a Kindle Paperwhite for €169, its a lot of money if I'm disappointed in the experience.

It's in the library catalogue, and on the shelf in a few branches, so you won't have to wait. If you order today, it'll be with you in a couple of days (assuming you are a member of library somewhere in Ireland!). God, I love the libraries in Ireland since they hooked up all the branches :)

Ok, I'm almost ashamed to admit this.. But I haven't been a member of a library since I was a child and the only times I've visited was when my own children (early twenties now) needed stuff from our local library for school.

So (gonna make myself sound really silly now) I can check online if my library has a book in or even order it online?.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You should be able to - check www.library.ie, or, even better, http://librariesireland.iii.com/iii/encore/?lang=eng

I'd say if you haven't been in one in over ten years it'd be worth trying going back, it may be a whole different experience for you. It's worth going during "quieter" times, too, if you don't like crowds (e.g., maybe not on a Saturday).

Also, these guys are very good.
    https://www.bookdepository.com/Company-Commander-Russell-Lewis/9780753540312
    It says the book would be shipped from the UK within 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

It by Stephen King, less than 175 pages in to this colossal book. Loving it so far tho.

New Home wrote: »
    You should be able to - check www.library.ie, or, even better, http://librariesireland.iii.com/iii/encore/?lang=eng

I'd say if you haven't been in one in over ten years it'd be worth trying going back, it may be a whole different experience for you. It's worth going during "quieter" times, too, if you don't like crowds (e.g., maybe not on a Saturday).

I'm an absolute idiot, you've just reminded me that a library truck actually parks right outside my house :o

I'm feeling rather silly right now.

I'm an absolute idiot, you've just reminded me that a library truck actually parks right outside my house :o

I'm feeling rather silly right now.

Just do what I do; reserve your books through the library catalogue, they will let you know when they are in, then just go to the desk and pick them up. You'll be in and out of the library in a minute! There are no charges for reserving books, and they have even abolished fines! Plus because the catologue covers the whole of Ireland, you can get a book from a library in Donegal (for example) in a couple of days. Did I mention I love the library? :pac::pac::pac:

Guys, I've just joined online :D

• Advertisement

Just do what I do; reserve your books through the library catalogue, they will let you know when they are in, then just go to the desk and pick them up. You'll be in and out of the library in a minute! There are no charges for reserving books, and they have even abolished fines! Plus because the catologue covers the whole of Ireland, you can get a book from a library in Donegal (for example) in a couple of days. Did I mention I love the library? :pac::pac::pac:

In my library the last time I ordered a book I was charged the pricely sum of 20c. :pac: Not sure if that's still the case or not.

Just looked there and my local library isn't my local at all, I have one in Howth and there's one in Finglas on my way home from work :D

I'm easily excited lol

Just looked there and my local library isn't my local at all, I have one in Howth and there's one in Finglas on my way home from work :D

I'm easily excited lol

Donaghmede, Raheny, or Baldoyle? All close enough to Howth.

New Home wrote: »
    Donaghmede, Raheny, or Baldoyle? All close enough to Howth.

Turns out after all that my son has bought me a Kindle Paperwhite 32gb for my birthday (53 years young today) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Our library service is one of the few things we can genuinely crow about in this country. My local library is an “open” one now, meaning it can be accessed sundays, bank holidays and outside normal opening hours. The overdrive online borrowing service is worth checking out too.

For accessing rare/out of print the old books, the nationwide system is a godsend. Couldn’t live properly without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Mind on Fire: A Memoir of Madness and Recovery, by Arnold Thomas Fanning.
    Couldn’t put it down till the end. He’s a Dublin man who suffered terrible mental health problems.
    A recent AH thread discussed curiosity about mental illness, this book is fascinating, sad and a brilliant glimpse of “what it’s like”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Just finished Hell Or Some Worse Place:Kinsale 1601 by Des Ekin.

A brilliant account of the Battle of Kinsale and the aftermath from the perspectives of the Irish, Spanish and English with a particular focus on General Juan del Águila who led the Spanish Armada into Kinsale.

I see he has a book on The Spanish Armada and my local library here in California has it. Must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Ipso wrote: »
    I see he has a book on The Spanish Armada and my local library here in California has it. Must check it out.

Do, it's very good and very well researched.

He also wrote a book about the villagers from Baltimore that were abducted by Algerian pirates and sold into slavery. That's on my list to read as is his book about Ireland's Pirate Trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

About to start John Boyne, The Absolutist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, it's class. The protaganist relives the day of a murder at a remote woodland mansion seven times from the bodies of different people in an effort to solve it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement