Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

He also wrote a book about the villagers from Baltimore that were abducted by Algerian pirates and sold into slavery. That's on my list to read as is his book about Ireland's Pirate Trail.

The Stolen Village. Excellent book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It wouldn't take a genius to figure what I'm reading after my last few posts.

Company Commander by Russell Lewis (on my new Kindle)
    In 2008 Major Russell Lewis commanded a company of two hundred soldiers from the British Army's legendary Parachute Regiment on a six-month tour in the most dangerous part of Afghanistan.

Company Commander is his story, a riveting first-person account of incredible bravery, telling what it is like to have 200 Paras depending on you constantly, to make decisions which can and do cost lives, to see men under your command killed and injured and being under the most intense pressure imaginable every minute of every day for six long months.

Company Commander is a true leader's story – a unique and vivid mix of front-line battles and strategic decision making and an intensely personal and inspiring account of a tour in the most perilous theatre of war on the planet.

First impression of my kindle is that it was exceptionally easy and comfortable to read in bed. With the back light dimmed really low I could read in the dark without straining my eyes. I think I'll love this thing :D

If I can ask another question of the Kindle users, are the free Kindle books worth reading?. I see lots of titles in my fav genre (war, spy and Roman empire times) but I don't want to be wasting too much time on rubbish either. And have you any free Kindle book recommends?.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Just looked there and my local library isn't my local at all, I have one in Howth and there's one in Finglas on my way home from work :D
    If my local library doesn't have a book I just order it from another branch (via my online library account). I can end up getting books from any library in Ireland - though usually from Dublin. For just published books in high demand the wait can be a few months, but for older books I've never had to wait more than a few weeks. It's a brilliant service and means my "local" library is all of Ireland.

Just finished an autobiography of a friend's great (great?) grandad who led a pretty interesting life in England and Malaysia.

How I wish my antecedents did something that interesting, or at least wrote something about their lives, however mundane. I think we should all write our life stories. It may not be of much interest now, but your future great grandchildren will be glad of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, by Karen Joy Fowler. Not loving it but can't stop reading it. :/

• Advertisement

Just finished an autobiography of a friend's great (great?) grandad who led a pretty interesting life in England and Malaysia.

How I wish my antecedents did something that interesting, or at least wrote something about their lives, however mundane. I think we should all write our life stories. It may not be of much interest now, but your future great grandchildren will be glad of it.

I wish my great grandfather had done that.

I look like him in photos, and like me he was a soldier (9th Royal Dublin Fusiliers, WWI vet). And get this for a coincidence, I was on duty one night in Lebanon and got talking to a lad on duty with me.

Like a lot of military people we got talking about military history in our families and it turned out that both our grandfathers were in the same home unit and traveled to war together, fighting in what they thought was the war to end all wars.

Then a couple of generations later their grand children are serving in the same home unit but sadly the 'war to end all wars wasn't to be and we were again both serving in another mans war (although thankfully not in trenches).

rushfan wrote: »
    The Stolen Village. Excellent book.

I just downloaded a preview of it [to my new Kindle lol], looks like I'll be buying it. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

If I can ask another question of the Kindle users, are the free Kindle books worth reading?. I see lots of titles in my fav genre (war, spy and Roman empire times) but I don't want to be wasting too much time on rubbish either. And have you any free Kindle book recommends?.

I have mine about 2 & 1/2 years and it's like anything I guess. You get what you pay for, you'll pick up some gems for little or nothing but there's some turkeys too. I've a paperwhite and love it. Can be read in the dark or in glaring sunlight on the beach.

For accessing rare/out of print the old books, the nationwide system is a godsend. Couldn’t live properly without it.

Some years ago before the kindle came along, there was a brand-new book about Elvis just published by Peter Guralnik. We were heading away on holidays and I didn't fancy buying it to end up with it knocked about etc. So I contacted the local library , asked roughly how long before they might have it in stock. They asked me to get a ref no for it & that they'd order it in, which they did. And I read it on holidays!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just finished Joe O'Connor's The Trill of It All novel, about friendship through the story of 2nd generation Irish in the UK forming a band, struggling for years and hitting the big time, with everything that goes with it - some great insights into the student scene in the UK in the 80s. It's hard to avoid reading some of the long lists of things in his inimitable voice that became so familiar through the radio columns - an enjoyable read.

• Advertisement

rushfan wrote: »
    I have mine about 2 & 1/2 years and it's like anything I guess. You get what you pay for, you'll pick up some gems for little or nothing but there's some turkeys too. I've a paperwhite and love it. Can be read in the dark or in glaring sunlight on the beach.

Yup, it was a joy to read in the dark last night. I'll have to wait for a sunny day on the beach now :cool:

I wish my great grandfather had done that.

I look like him in photos, and like me he was a soldier (9th Royal Dublin Fusiliers, WWI vet). And get this for a coincidence, I was on duty one night in Lebanon and got talking to a lad on duty with me.

Like a lot of military people we got talking about military history in our families and it turned out that both our grandfathers were in the same home unit and traveled to war together, fighting in what they thought was the war to end all wars.

Then a couple of generations later their grand children are serving in the same home unit but sadly the 'war to end all wars wasn't to be and we were again both serving in another mans war (although thankfully not in trenches).
    My grandmother did something like that. A few years ago (it may have been around the millennium) some guy from RTE was going around the country interviewing old people who had interesting stories to tell about their memories of growing up in a different Ireland. But by then her memory was failing and she was only half-remembering some of her interesting experiences (including being put beside CJ Haughey at a dinner once; this annoyed her right up to the end of her life!)

I do a bit of amateur history research for a local historical society down home, since I live in Dublin and can easily pop into the National Archives or the National Library. It is so exciting to find some local document, especially a letter, about the area describing the social and economic life of the place in the 1700s or 1800s.

After I first heard that interview with my Grandma a few years ago, I recorded interviews with some of my older relations and neighbours, and I would suggest anyone with an interest in history does the same. Not only is it worthwhile as a historical project, it's a great way of getting to know more about your relatives, and perhaps finding out things that you hadn't previously known because you hadn't thought of asking.

Now, sorry for the tangent. To keep on topic, and on a somewhat related topic, I've just started Adam Rutherford's A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived. I'm only 40 pages in, but it's an interesting account of the human genome, which flits between how genetics affect our society, our appearance, future healthcare solutions - and plenty of trivia too. Did you know, for example, that Prince William has Indian blood? And that there is no genetic basis for 'race'? Lots of material there to irritate the Brexiteers with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

First impression of my kindle is that it was exceptionally easy and comfortable to read in bed. With the back light dimmed really low I could read in the dark without straining my eyes. I think I'll love this thing :D
    I love them..very handy to have !

As somebody mentioned above I still prefer reall books but only so much space and I hate selling books om.

Regarding recommendations , this book about Erwin Rommel is a great read:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0108SGZFW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

I love them..very handy to have !

As somebody mentioned above I still prefer reall books but only so much space and I hate selling books om.

Regarding recommendations , this book about Erwin Rommel is a great read:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0108SGZFW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pekitivey

Just started "Pandora's Star" by Peter F. Hamilton, a sci-fi. pretty heavy reading but loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I just downloaded a preview of it [to my new Kindle lol], looks like I'll be buying it. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

A great read. The Kindle is fantastic, I got one a couple of years back (basic model) and loads of good books are available free....great going on holiday. Though I am more attached to my iPad....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I've just finished Sam Kean - The Violinist's Thumb: And other extraordinary true stories as written by our DNA
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Violinists-Thumb-extraordinary-stories-written/dp/055277751X
    Well written, informative, entertaining and easy to read

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

The Shining by Stephen King.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

TinCanMan wrote: »
    The Shining by Stephen King.

One of the best books I've ever read. If you're a fan of Kubrick's film version, you may be inclined to downgrade your assessment of the movie of after you read the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Godfather Returns, with its alternate title, The Godfather: The Lost Years, by Mark Winegardner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Educated by Tara Westover, I am about 1/3rd of the way through.
    Really loving it so far very compelling read.

Blurb below

Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, Tara Westover was seventeen the first time she set foot in a classroom. Her family was so isolated from mainstream society that there was no one to ensure the children received an education, and no one to intervene when one of Tara’s older brothers became violent. When another brother got himself into college, Tara decided to try a new kind of life. Her quest for knowledge transformed her, taking her over oceans and across continents, to Harvard and to Cambridge University. Only then would she wonder if she’d traveled too far, if there was still a way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

pekitivey wrote: »
    Just started "Pandora's Star" by Peter F. Hamilton, a sci-fi. pretty heavy reading but loving it
    Amazing series, enjoy, I have a signed copy, have a look at his Nights Dawn trilogy afterwards aswell.

I've been let down (once again) by an ebay purchase not arriving so I'm wondering now about switching to a Kindle.

The last time I tried one I found it dull and hard to read, anyone got any suggestions?.

the paperwhite is the one to go for over the most basic one. it has a very good screen (probably better than the one that you were looking at) and built-in lighting - useful for reading without any external light source or to make things brighter if you wish.

the new version of the paperwhite is actually waterproof.

usually on sale around black friday with the biggest discount (down 30£) and not really any other time to that level - maybe 20£ off

I find it much better than reading on a tablet or phone. it's very light also

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Kindle-Paperwhite-Waterproof-Twice-Storage/dp/B07747FR44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1552501110&sr=8-1&keywords=paperwhite

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Sycamore Row by John Grisham.

Another brilliantly crafted courtroom drama from the master. It’s the sequel to his earlier work A Time to Kill.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Finished two books this week. Elevation by Stephen King, which was really more of a short story than anything. Felt like something he might have scribbled on the back of an envelope while waiting on a plane or something once. Definitely not worth the hardback price.

Followed that with A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan. Very standard "something going bump in the attic of a haunted house" potboilery stuff. You'll spot the "twist" about a quarter of the way in.

Started The Familiars by Stacey Halls yesterday. Too early to make much of a judgement yet.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I just finished the Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.

I would have it up there with one of the best books I've ever read, and I don't say that lightly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

GLaDOS wrote: »

I would have it up there with one of the best books I've ever read, and I don't say that lightly.
    Great book, one of my favs aswell, such an interesting main character.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thargor wrote: »
    Great book, one of my favs aswell, such an interesting main character.

Have you read any of his other work? Find it hard to imagine him writing Sci Fi!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Have you read any of his other work? Find it hard to imagine him writing Sci Fi!

His Sci-fi is excellent but I never liked his non-sci fi so go figure :)

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement

didn't really like it for some reason. that "particular point" in the book didn't work for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement