Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Any good historical fiction set in the Norman era? Pillars of the Earth is set post White Ship, but anything about William the Conquerer onwards would be interesting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ipso wrote: »
    Any good historical fiction set in the Norman era? Pillars of the Earth is set post White Ship, but anything about William the Conquerer onwards would be interesting.

Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Rereading Marathon Man by William Goldman, paying more attention to it because I've just rewatched the film this week.
    Classic.

Oh, haven't actually read that. Will definitely give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I'm looking for something along the line of The Tudors, but not a history book. Something along the lines of the historically accurate novels the likes of which Conn Iggulden would put out, ie Wars of the Roses but about the Tudors. Henry VIII and his wives.. I've a soft spot for Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn.

I'm looking for something along the line of The Tudors, but not a history book. Something along the lines of the historically accurate novels the likes of which Conn Iggulden would put out, ie Wars of the Roses but about the Tudors. Henry VIII and his wives.. I've a soft spot for Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn.

The Shardlake series by CJ Sansom is excellent. There's 6 books I think so they'll keep you going for a while! Dissolution is the first one Read them in order for the best experience

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Dragons of Eden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

Francis Brennan a gentlemen aboard. Actually v.interesting on his travels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Dragons of Eden

By Carl Sagan?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Almost finished his book on The Siege of Kinsale, The Last Armada. Really enjoyed it. I’d be interested to know how accurate it is, many of the Irish players don’t come out of it looking too good.

The cowardice, the disloyalty and downright stupidity of the Irish players did shock me a bit. As you said, it would be interesting to know how accurate the book is and the sources that he based the book on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Iron King by Maurice Druon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-King-Accursed-Kings-Book-ebook/dp/B008TGMOJW/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=the+iron+king&qid=1553887803&s=digital-text&sr=1-2

Later than you might like but the inspiration for Game of Thrones, by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

The Killing Lessons by Saul Black. Best crime novel I've read in a while. Grisly stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

By Carl Sagan?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Sisters of the winter wood, about judaism , witchcraft as far as I can tell so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Finished Steve Cavanagh : Twisted and now started The Liar by Steve Cavanagh :) Brilliant twists so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I recently discovered Elly Griffiths's crime series with the heroine Ruth Galloway, an archaeologist in Norfolk who stumbles into murder and mayhem, past and present.

Just finished the first installment, The Crossing Places. It's very much the usual structure of crime novels, as learned in writing workshops I guess, but the interesting thing, for me at least, are the archaeology aspects - the past meets the present or such like.

It's an easy though interesting read, well written and perfect for bedtime reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The New Testament.
    Spoiler Alert!
    He gets killed in the end

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Edgware wrote: »
    The New Testament.
    Spoiler Alert!

Keep reading. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Crazy Rich Asians. It's quite confusing with all the characters. I'm hoping it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

New Home wrote: »
    Keep reading. ;)

Yeah, there's a massive drug party before the credits roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Guilty pleasure alert!!!

I plan on reading Graham Hancock's new one 'America Before' when its released tomorrow. I know he stretches assumptions dramatically but it will hopefully be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Tis' by Frank McCourt.

Had just finished reading Angela's Ashes, so decided to keep going with the theme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Tis' by Frank McCourt.

Had just finished reading Angela's Ashes, so decided to keep going with the theme.

I really enjoyed those 2 books. I read Angela's Ashes nearly 20 years ago when I was a teenager, of a similar age to Frank McCourt in the book. I remember the book warmly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Tis' by Frank McCourt.

Awful tripe.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Atomised by Michel Houellebecq, if you take out the disturbing sex stuff, misogyny, frustration and boredom I’m not sure there’d be much left.

It was recommended to me by a friend who’s big into those “beat” authors. I won’t be listening to him again in future, I think all those “jazz” cigarettes have scrambled his brain or something.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Ipso wrote:

Paul Kingsnorth wrote an interesting book set just around the Norman invasion of England. "The Wake" I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

The Thief of Time by John Boyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Conorbarry1984

Just finished The Tattooist of Auschwitz and starting Dune next.
    First book was a great read btw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The New Testament.
    Spoiler Alert!

It goes to fiction after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

New Home wrote: »
    Keep reading. ;)

FFS. Wow! I wasn't expecting that. Some ending. That Thomas guy really made a fool of himself with all that doubting

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

FFS. Wow! I wasn't expecting that. Some ending. That Thomas guy really made a fool of himself with all that doubting

It seems there's another volume due out any time now. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

The King of California

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement