Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

For the plague period around 1666, the diary of Samuel Pepys is very good and a first-hand account of the period, although Pepys himself is a bit of a prick.

For Tudor period and history in general, I recommend Ian Mortimer particularly a time traveller's guide to medieval England. The outcasts of time is an excellent fictional book he wrote.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

New Home wrote: »
    It seems there's another volume due out any time now. ;)
    .Going to wait and watch it all when Spielberg does a trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt. It's a reimagining of Lizzie Borden's murders of her mother and stepfather in the 1890s. Very creepy and very good.

I'm in a psychiatric hospital, the library has a take-a-book-leave-a-book system going on, you get the strangest and most interesting reading material here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kateee47298

This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay.
    Based on the NHS but having worked in both, I think that it also applies to the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Just finished The Tattooist of Auschwitz and starting Dune next.
    First book was a great read btw

Read The Tatooist, expected a bit more. There are several better accounts of the Holocaust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

starting Dune next.
    Dune is brilliant , enjoy.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Kill [Redacted] by Anthony Good. Interesting premise and so far it's living up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Pet Semetery by Stephen King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Just about to start The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Started Last Stand of Dead Men by Derek Landy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

The Obstacle is the Way - Ryan Holiday. Well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

Reading Dracul by J.D. Barker and Dacre Stoker. Really enjoying it so far, Dracula is in my top three favourite novels.

Michelle Obama's memoir, Becoming. Have to say I'm enjoying it more than I expected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Michelle Obama's memoir, Becoming. Have to say I'm enjoying it more than I expected to.

It's next up on my Kindle. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Finished Stolen Village.

Its started out great, got a little disjointed but I plugged on through. It was educational to a point, but I was 'meh at the end.

Started Beat by Rowan Somerville today.

Its the true story of a suicide bomber who murdered 21 young Israeli's outside the Dophinarium nightclub in Tel Aviv on June 21st 2001.. And a heart transplant.

I was in Tel Aviv a lot in 2001 and so feel a little connected with this story. I was never in this particular club but I know the area well, however a bar I drank in regularly (Mikes Place) was the target of a suicide bomber shortly after I returned to Ireland.

I took advantaged of a sun kissed back garden to have some lunch and a read earlier today, roll on summer eh!.

477196.jpg

Started Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig today. After nearly twenty years of biking I thought it was about time I actually read it. About 80 pages in so far and really enjoying it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Started Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig today. After nearly twenty years of biking I thought it was about time I actually read it. About 80 pages in so far and really enjoying it.

I really liked it, too - it's a slow read, but it's mostly because you stop and think so much about what it says. Must read it again.

I have it on the shelf for years, open it every now and then but I can't seem to get to grips with it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I saw it as some people describe working out - stick with it and eventually the endorphins will kick in. Mind you, I never had that experience with excercise, myself, but with that book, if you stick with it, once you pass the first hurdle you'll find yourself immersed in it. I'd suggest only reading a couple of pages at the time for the first while, until you warm up. :)

One thing I will say is, the font on the edition I have isn't the most pleasing, and I often find that an unpleasant font will put me off a book - I don't know if it's because bad fonts are harder on the eyes, or if it's because they remind me of school books and instruction manuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I have it on the shelf for years, open it every now and then but I can't seem to get to grips with it.

If you haven’t gotten through it yet it might be best to let it go. Stick to your Iggulden, Cornwall and Saylor and save yourself the bother. It’s one of those books that the types who love such dross as Catch 22 or The Dice Man bang on about.

A long pointless exercise in boring the reader on two front, the author’s life and 1st year philosophy. You hear people dropping it into conversation every now and then, trying to sound highbrow but actually coming across as a naive teen.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Marmite it is, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Places In The Darkness by Chris Brookmyre.
    It's not usually the type of stuff I'd read but decided to give it a go. I've been struggling to get through it for ages now.
    Only about 100 pages left so I'll finish it but don't think I'll go back to any of his other stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

New Home wrote: »
    Marmite it is, then.

Yeah, probably. Personally I hated it.

Fathom wrote: »
    Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
    By Neil deGrasse Tyson

Whew! Drink coffee while reading.

Someone just re-wrote that book for preteens called "Astrophysics for young People in a Hurry"

I just received both from Amazon. So myself and my daughter are about to start reading it in parallel.

I have to give credit to the people who recommended a Kindle to me, I bloody love the thing & bring it everywhere!.

477224.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I have to give credit to the people who recommended a Kindle to me, I bloody love the thing & bring it everywhere!.

477224.jpg

I get so much use out of mine. I also joined a library recently,just to read some rarer books etc. So wouldn't discount doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I just use the app on my phone to read free classic books.

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I just use the app on my phone to read free classic books.

That was an option of course, but I wanted to get away from my phone too.. So now I can bring the Kindle places, and take photos of it with my phone :pac:

• Advertisement

The Last, by Hanna Jameson. I'm really enjoying it. It's like a nuclear war version of Lord Of The Flies!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement