Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Wuthering Heights. I found the language a bit annoying at the start but I've gotten used to it. So far can't say I'm exactly gripped but I'll stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Succubus_ wrote: »
    Wuthering Heights. I found the language a bit annoying at the start but I've gotten used to it. So far can't say I'm exactly gripped but I'll stick with it.
    I read it many moons ago in college, second book ever read in English. I can tell you the Yorkshire way of speak was challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Barna77 wrote: »
    I read it many moons ago in college, second book ever read in English. I can tell you the Yorkshire way of speak was challenging.

Jaysus, there I was struggling with the language and you read it as a non-native speaker. I'll just stop complaining now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Barna77 wrote: »

Eh up, lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

'Exploring The World of Druids' by Miranda J. Green. Enjoyable enough educational text like book concerning the history of the stories concerning the priests and priestesses of the Celtic religion believed to have wielded power in iron age Ireland, Britain and Gaul. Nice illustrations and pictures, handy lists of museums to visit. Good enjoyable introduction to this fascinating subject of Iron age history.

'Blood and Mistletoe - History of the Druids in Britain' by Ronald Hutton. More druids. This one is a bit more academic but still a really enjoyable read and it is totally accessible. Hutton isn't as misty eyed on the subject as Green and goes looking for the facts, not taking everything that was recorded about these figures as stone cold gospel. Which is great, by doing so, he really makes you think for yourself about the subject as you dive into it. Very good. Would also highly recommend Ronald Hutton's book on The History of Witchcraft I read a while back. Same sort of enjoyable historical narration investigation. Very cool. Audiobook is also available of The History of Witchcraft on audible.

About to start 'The White Goddess' by Robert Graves. More druids again in this. "A curious research into strange territories of folklore, mythology, religion and magic". This is supposed to be tough going but we'll put pay to that by reading her sitting out in the garden times. Nice waaaaan.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »
    'Exploring The World of Druids' by Miranda J. Green. Enjoyable enough educational text like book concerning the history of the stories concerning the priests and priestesses of the Celtic religion believed to have wielded power in iron age Ireland, Britain and Gaul. Nice illustrations and pictures, handy lists of museums to visit. Good enjoyable introduction to this fascinating subject of Iron age history.

'Blood and Mistletoe - History of the Druids in Britain' by Ronald Hutton. More druids. This one is a bit more academic but still a really enjoyable read and it is totally accessible. Hutton isn't as misty eyed on the subject as Green and goes looking for the facts, not taking everything that was recorded about these figures as stone cold gospel. Which is great, by doing so, he really makes you think for yourself about the subject as you dive into it. Very good. Would also highly recommend Ronald Hutton's book on The History of Witchcraft I read a while back. Same sort of enjoyable historical narration investigation. Very cool. Audiobook is also available of The History of Witchcraft on audible.

About to start 'The White Goddess' by Robert Graves. More druids again in this. "A curious research into strange territories of folklore, mythology, religion and magic". This is supposed to be tough going but we'll put pay to that by reading her sitting out in the garden times. Nice waaaaan.

To quote Spinal Tap, nobody knows who they were or wot they were doing!
    I read that they were almost like a separate caste that interacted across various regions, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Ipso wrote: »
    To quote Spinal Tap, nobody knows who they were or wot they were doing!
    I read that they were almost like a separate caste that interacted across various regions, is that true?

lol Exactly like the Tap said themselves! Yeah, most of the actual classical sources say this is how they operated, Julius Caesar ran into them during his conquest of Gaul, but was using various tales to play to the gallery back in Rome, he said their main school of teaching was based over in Britain. Other people then like Strabo and others. Then you have all the Irish myths and legends that describe loads of them but those works were written by the monks centuries after. Good books though, would highly recommend them, both in that order to read!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Last, by Hanna Jameson. I'm really enjoying it. It's like a nuclear war version of Lord Of The Flies!
    Looks good cheers for the rec, ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

At the moment I'm reading "The Reality Dysfunction" for maybe the4th or fifth time.

great sci-fi.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finally getting around to Sally Rooney's Normal People.

Read Emilie Pine's Notes to Self over the weekend. It is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

"The Myth of German Villainy" by Benton L. Bradberry.

History is written by the victors but this book gives the other side of the story. It convincingly argues that both world wars were ultimately started and kept going by the Allies for their own selfish reasons.

The power and influence of international Jewry and their role in this period really suprised me.

A real eye opener.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Myth-German-Villainy-Benton-L-Bradberry/9781477231838?ref=grid-view&qid=1554922141154&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭megaten

moonage wrote: »

History is written by the victors but this book gives the other side of the story. It convincingly argues that both world wars were ultimately started and kept going by the Allies for their own selfish reasons.

The power and influence of international Jewry and their role in this period really suprised me.

A real eye opener.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Myth-German-Villainy-Benton-L-Bradberry/9781477231838?ref=grid-view&qid=1554922141154&sr=1-1

Lad sounds like a nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A real eye opener.

Jewry? I suppose if anyone came out of WW2 on top it was the ladies and gentlemen of the Jewry.

Oh, wait...

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

"The author believes that Britain and the United States joined the wrong side in the war."

If the wrong side of the war is the one that doesn't gas people in concentration camps, I don't want to be on the right side.

Even the use of these words
    international Jewry
    would raise a flag

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

From the blurb
    an existential threat to Western, Christian Civilization, and he dedicated himself and Germany to a death struggle against it.

Thanks Hitler!!!

Always the jooz.

A real eye opener.

How did you get a copy if the book? It's selling for just under 30£ and no e-reader version

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How did you get a copy if the book? It's selling for just under 30£ and no e-reader version
    Probably wrote it himself.

Thargor wrote: »
    Probably wrote it himself.
    Yeah the poster has waaay to many posts in the "Tommy Robinson" thread.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Please don't let the horrors (in the real world sense) to infest this thread.

On Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, less fantastic than I'm used to with Murakami but I'm enjoying it.

batgoat wrote: »

On Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, less fantastic than I'm used to with Murakami but I'm enjoying it.

Is it perhaps that Japanese just doesn't translate into English well?..Any translations I've read just seem kind of remedial or something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

batgoat wrote: »

We can discuss any genre here and, tbh, we don't get enough recommendations on historical fiction and fantasy.

Currently on Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett and The Scottish Clearances by T.M. Devine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Henning Mankell - The Pyramid

Its one of the Wallander series.

Unfortunately, I am coming to end of the Wallander series. He is a funny writer. You look at the prose and it can be clunky, some of the story lines a little rushed.

But really thats secondary, because the main thing he is doing is bringing you into the mind of the character. Its kind of the opposite of an 'out of body' experience - its an 'in someone elses body' experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Just finished Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes. last night.
    Clever idea and its an easy read. Pretty light hearted considering the main character is Hitler. More a look at celebrity culture and fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sapiens.

I'm enjoying it even though I find myself disagreeing with some of the stuff the author is saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you haven’t gotten through it yet it might be best to let it go. Stick to your Iggulden, Cornwall and Saylor and save yourself the bother. It’s one of those books that the types who love such dross as Catch 22 or The Dice Man bang on about.

A long pointless exercise in boring the reader on two front, the author’s life and 1st year philosophy. You hear people dropping it into conversation every now and then, trying to sound highbrow but actually coming across as a naive teen.

Just seeing your reply to me now, and funnily enough I couldn't get to grips with those two either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I'm in the middle of The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor.

It's 1666, a couple of days after London was destroyed by the Great Fire. The description of London life (and death) in those times is vivid and gripping. But it's a kind of crime novel as well, with murder, intrigue and politics, sometimes with surprisingly modern echos.

It took some time for me to get in the swing of it. It's no high brow historical novel, but Taylor is an immensely good storyteller who drags you into a world that is almost dystopian.

There are 2 follow-ups, The Fire Court and The King's Evil. I guess, I'll order them, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Carry wrote: »

It's 1666, a couple of days after London was destroyed by the Great Fire. The description of London life (and death) in those times is vivid and gripping. But it's a kind of crime novel as well, with murder, intrigue and politics, sometimes with surprisingly modern echos.

It took some time for me to get in the swing of it. It's no high brow historical novel, but Taylor is an immensely good storyteller who drags you into a world that is almost dystopian.

There are 2 follow-ups, The Fire Court and The King's Evil. I guess, I'll order them, too.

This is a fantastic book - related to above.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorian-City-Everyday-Dickens-London/dp/1848877978/ref=sr_1_7?adgrpid=57951526226&hvadid=291417143957&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007850&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=15456191071421355567&hvtargid=kwd-302934964788&keywords=victorian+london+book&qid=1554976158&s=gateway&sr=8-7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Carry wrote: »

Cheers.

I love when someone gives a preview of a book with their post, they're usually the posts which lead me into my next book :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement