Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Is the book good? One of those ones I've never got round to reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Moscow December 25 1991: The last day of the Soviet Union.
    Fairly good read so far, never realised how much Gorbachev and Yeltsin disliked each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chipperf

One of my favourite books I've read in recent years...really loved it.

Now reading 'Is that it' - Bob Geldof's autobiography, pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The Ice Storm by Rick Moody. I saw the movie late one night a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

The Sun..

this Hazel o' Sullivan wan's initials is Ho's. Ironic, isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Millicent wrote: »
    What?! No way! What didn't you like about it? I thought it was one of the best reads I've had in a long time.
    i just found it dragged, it was good for the last twenty pages or so but that was the highlight. It just didn't grip me at all.
    I finished Sister, stayed up til 2.30am on Tuesday night, it was unputdownable!
    I started Anthony Trollops autobiography before Xmas but put it aside because of exams, I must pick it up again soon.

i just found it dragged, it was good for the last twenty pages or so but that was the highlight. It just didn't grip me at all.
    I finished Sister, stayed up til 2.30am on Tuesday night, it was unputdownable!
    I started Anthony Trollops autobiography before Xmas but put it aside because of exams, I must pick it up again soon.

It took me a while to get into too--the main character's voice is a tough one. But I loved it when I got into it. Ah well. Different horses and all that. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Is the book good? One of those ones I've never got round to reading.
    yes,buy it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

One of my absolute favourite books, loved it from start to finish. Some parts really do make you break your sh1te laughing!

100% Brilliant

• Advertisement

Chipperf wrote: »
    One of my favourite books I've read in recent years...really loved it.

Now reading 'Is that it' - Bob Geldof's autobiography, pretty good.

One few over the cuckoos nest is just superb! Couldn't recommend it any stronger.

Is that it is a good read too. At times it's a bit anti Irish (seen as anti catholic), but parts are funny! Very enjoyable autobiography!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Finished The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy last week. Very good gritty crime novel. Seriously messed up and seedy, just like you want. I read The Black Dahlia a while back which was very good also. I'm 50/50 on reading LA Confidential next as I already know the plot from the film. I'll probably give it a go though.
    Went for The Satanic Verses after. Very well written and not deserving of the hate it garnered from certain corners.
    Reread Candide yesterday because I just felt like it. "When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been flogged by the Inquisition, he does the most surprising things."
    Currently reading The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John Le Carre. The first novel of his I'll have read. I'm only a little bit in but liking his style. There's a strong sense of character and tension. The film Tinker Tailor turned me on to Le Carre. If I like this enough I'll definitely keep going with the rest of his stuff, in time of course.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    yes,buy it tomorrow.

Yes, sir! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Snow Drops by A.D. Miller.

Great read, highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

'Gurriers' by Kevin Brennan, someone gave it to me in a pub :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have two new books to read, which should I start first?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson or A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Sound and Fury.

It tells the story of Howard Cosell and Muhammad Ali, as well as how they entangled with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson or A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson?

Fear and Loeathing FTW. Read it about 4 times now and it never gets old. Hunter S Thompson is a great writer.
    Currently, I'm about to start reading Carrie Fisher's autobiography "Wishful Drinking".

Just ordered Peter Ustinovs autobiography, he is funny as ... in interviews, soooo looking forward to reading it.

Until I get it, I'm re-reading The Stand by Stephen King, one of the bigges page turners I have EVER read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I'm reading to Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Fear and Loathing is great although I haven't read A Walk in the Woods.

Yes, sir! :pac:

DO, it's WELL worth your while! I'd nearly guarantee it (based on taste n all), but I'm telling ya it's well worth reading. PROMISE!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Shryke wrote: »
    Finished The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy last week. Very good gritty crime novel. Seriously messed up and seedy, just like you want. I read The Black Dahlia a while back which was very good also. I'm 50/50 on reading LA Confidential next as I already know the plot from the film. I'll probably give it a go though.
    I love the LA Quartet, Ellroy's great at that style. I thought the Big Nowhere was the best one but LA Confidential is great too. I thought the last one, White Jazz, wasn't as good as the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Bought a kindle recently and am back into reading books. Reading about one a week now.

Looking for recommendations. Willing to read anything once it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭omerin

if its fiction you're after try the bible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Mein Kampf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    Bought a kindle recently and am back into reading books. Reading about one a week now.

Looking for recommendations. Willing to read anything once it's good.

Max Hastings - Finest years Churchill as warlord tis one of my favorite books :3
    Or... I dunno. Obvious ones like Harry Potter. Bill Bryson is a funny chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Alice In Wonderland. Not a funny post. but it's a great book!

I AM ZLATAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

The Turn of the Screw is free on Kindle, great quick read. It's the book The Others was based on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement