Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nathaniel's Nutmeg by Giles Milton. The history and adventures associated with the spice trade of the 16th and 17th centauries'.

So far, it's an entertaining read.

I had this on my wish list for some time and have finally gotten round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

I just finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. Took a little getting into for me, wasn't sure where it was going, but just loved it in the end. A lovely read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'm reading "Are you smart enough to work at Google" by William Poundstone.

The answer is no but even if I was I don't think I would put myself through the process. It's a moderately interesting read with a collection of puzzles and brain teasers.

Before that finished Tony10 by Declan Lynch and Tony O'Reilly. This was a brilliant read, insane in some parts about his level of addiction which I think is a huge problem in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just finished Country by Michael Hughes. I was 2/3rds way through before I found it that it was a retelling of Homer's Iliad, set amongst an IRA active service unit along the border just after the cease fire. Maybe I need to read the Iliad now!

81krBGlz+6L._AC_UL436_.jpg

It was very easy to read - loads of dialogue (author is an actor in his other life) and nice large font size so I can read it in the loo regardless of what glasses or lenses I have or haven't.

It has some good insights into the thinking of both the IRA and the security forces, which are relevant in the light of last week's events in Derry.

I am so disappointed with Pet Semetary. I have been glued to it all weekend. At one point King told the the reader about something that would happen down the line. I was surprised but got over it. Now he has just given away something huge! Like I don't want to be told of some terrible thing thats going to happen in a few chapters time!!
    Wtf sort of writing is this!!

:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

I am so disappointed with Pet Semetary. I have been glued to it all weekend. At one point King told the the reader about something that would happen down the line. I was surprised but got over it. Now he has just given away something huge! Like I don't want to be told of some terrible thing thats going to happen in a few chapters time!!
    Wtf sort of writing is this!!

:(:(
    Sorry you are complaining about the authors giving spoilers away ???

what what what ??

Sorry you are complaining about the authors giving spoilers away ???

what what what ??

I get what you mean but my post gave nothing of the story away.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

He means that your post seems to be complaining about the author giving away spoilers in the book.

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    He means that your post seems to be complaining that the author gave away spoilers during the book.

The author did :( I didn't. If I did then I would have mentioned exactly what the story entails including what exactly my issue is.
    But I shall delete my original post just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

The author did I didn't. If I did then I would have mentioned exactly what the story entails including the spoilers given by the author.

Nobody said you did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

He means that your post seems to be complaining about the author giving away spoilers during the book.

Actually, I often skip forewords for this reason. Happens moreso with classics so get the issue.

Nobody said you did.

Sorry. The sun has me all confused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm reading The Boy Who Followed His Father Into Auschwitz (Jeremy Dronfield), it's very good. It seems to be very faithful to the verifiable historical details of what actually happened, without being pedantic or cumbersome.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Autosport wrote: »
    The Plea by Steve Cavanagh. I can’t get enough of this author :) I love finding a new Irish author

Finished this today and loved it, plenty of twists and now I'm gonna start

The Defence by the same author :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Autosport wrote: »
    Finished this today and loved it, plenty of twists and now I'm gonna start

The Defence by the same author :)

Might check him out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I'm reading The Boy Who Followed His Father Into Auschwitz (Jeremy Dronfield), it's very good. It seems to be very faithful to the verifiable historical details of what actually happened, without being pedantic or cumbersome.

I've been contemplating picking up a copy for a few weeks now. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it, might get it so myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

The Darkest place by Jo Spain
    With Our Blessing
    Both very good
    Currently reading My Lovely Wife

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The War of the End of the World by Mario Vargas Llosa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Patient Assassin - Anita Anand

When I was in school we watched the film Gandhi and there is a scene in it about the Massacare at Amritsar. This was in 1919, the 100 year anniversary a few weeks ago. The book came out this month so very new

A young man who was there (or maybe that’s a legend) swore revenge and eventually assassinated the Governor in 1940

There is an Irish connection as the British imperialist goveneror was from Tipperary and the general who ordered the shooting went to school in Middleton, Cork

The assasin was no genius. Over the years he bumbled along, treated others pretty badly, made stupid mistakes but he was brave and did the deed and is now an Indian national hero. There is a lot of info on dirty tricks by the British spies and MI5 and a few comparisons to the Irish struggle

The author works for the BBC. I listened to her audio recording from audible.com and she is a good narrator. Thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Good Samaritans by Will Carver.

I'm only a few chapters in, but ohmygod I love it. It's something completely different, it's f*cked up and dark and intense and just sooo gripping ... would highly recommend.

(With the caveat that it may be trigger-y around self-harm issues, for anyone with those kind of tendencies, just saying!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The woman inside by E.G. Scott, so far a gripping read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Finished *Leviathan Wakes*, the first book in The Expanse series. Thought it was Ok.. I just couldn't get invested in it and read it in 1-2 chapter sessions...

After that I decided to read some non-fiction; *Start now. Get Perfect Later.* by Rob Moore. Not my usual type of book but found it really intriguing. I can actually see myself using the advice in this book and implementing the systems he outlined. I'll be investigating his Disruptive Entrepreneur podcast as well..

Not sure what to read next... Need to consult my Goodreads list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Elmer Jones

I'm reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

Very good so far I'm only 150 pages into it .It's about 1000 pages (with small typeface) long so It'll keep me going for another couple of months at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'm reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

Very good so far I'm only 150 pages into it .It's about 1000 pages (with small typeface) long so It'll keep me going for another couple of months at least.

Took me about that many pages to get into it, I really enjoyed it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Just started reading The Compassionate Mind by Paul Gilbert. Spotted it in my psychotherapist’s office and given that we’re trying to lessen my self critic and teach me to be more compassionate towards myself I figured it’d be a worthwhile read. Heavy going though, I need to be in the right frame of mind to concentrate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 new Author

Game Of Ghosts by John Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I love when someone gives a preview of a book with their post, they're usually the posts which lead me into my next book :)

Same here.

I know that the title says "What book are you readin atm", but just saying just that is a bit uncommunicative and sometimes pointless.

I'd love to have recommendations with a bit of information not just the title and "I'm enjoying it". I'd like to know what the book is about in a few words.

Is that possible, dear co-boardsies?

Carry wrote: »
    Same here.

I know that the title says "What book are you readin atm", but just saying just that is a bit uncommunicative and sometimes pointless.

I'd love to have recommendations with a bit of information not just the title and "I'm enjoying it". I'd like to know what the book is about in a few words.

Is that possible, dear co-boardsies?

It would involve stepping down from a height. Reading Anthony Cronin's 'The Life of Riley', wonderfully rendered hijinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I just finished The Binding. Was good, was her first book for adults. I finished it in a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Woman in black

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement