Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Autosport wrote: »
    The woman inside by E.G. Scott, so far a gripping read :)

Finished it and it was definitely a page turner. A few twists in the right places and you're still trying to decide who killed who :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I'm reading Gone with the Wind. I haven't seen the film so I pretty much have no idea what happens. I'm about 200 pages in. I'm finding the comments about Black people a bit much at times but I know I need to bear the context in mind as I'm reading it.

Succubus_ wrote: »
    I'm reading Gone with the Wind. I haven't seen the film so I pretty much have no idea what happens. I'm about 200 pages in. I'm finding the comments about Black people a bit much at times but I know I need to bear the context in mind as I'm reading it.
    I haven't read this (I did scan it in my teens, looking for sex scenes, having heard it was racy -- God we had ****e internet back then)

Am also reading a classic, Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge.

One of my new years resolutions was to read classics whose titles I recognise, but about which I haven't the foggiest notion. This is one of the best I've read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm still reading The Republic of Thieves, but when I went through the books I own, I found I have 23 unread books, so now I have a book backlog as well as a game backlog.

The Final Empire By Brandon Sanderson
    Small Gods by Terry Pratchett
    Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett
    The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
    Nation by Terry Pratchett
    Pyramids by Terry Pratchett
    Fire Above, Fire Below by Garth Nix
    Who Saw Her Die? by Patricia Moyes
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstein
    Jonathon Strange and Dr Norrell
    Under Strange Stars by Gareth Moore
    Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
    Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery
    Doctor Who: Molten Heart by Una McCormack
    The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril by Paul Malmont
    Demon Road by Derek Landy
    11.22.63 by Stephen King
    Under The Dome By Stephen King
    Death Comes To Pepberley by P.D. James
    The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann
    The Fourteenth Letter by Claire Evans
    The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Hunting Evil by Chris Carter :) I’ve waited over a year for this book and I can’t wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I got 'Vagina-A re-education' by Lynne Enright after reading a very positive review about it.
    Anyone any insight into it? I'll post back here after I've finished it to let you know.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I'm still reading The Republic of Thieves, but when I went through the books I own, I found I have 23 unread books, so now I have a book backlog as well as a game backlog.

(...)

Gosh, you are worse than I am regarding backlogs ;)
    I didn't even count the books that clutter the shelves and the nightstand in my bedroom.

Currently I'm reading The Scholar by Dervla McTiernan.
    It's her second book after The Ruin, a new series about a detective garda in Galway. Both books are riveting, with excellent story telling and as far as I can judge realistic, and most notably very well written.

I used to like Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor novels, also set in Galway, but got a bit off them because they got linguistically too sloppy for my liking. Bruen apparently tried to be very cool, whatever that means, and lost eventually the plot, literally, in his books.

McTiernan overtakes him like a Ferrari does a Renault 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Carry wrote: »
    ...Currently I'm reading The Scholar by Dervla McTiernan.
    It's her second book after The Ruin, a new series about a detective garda in Galway...I used to like Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor novels, also set in Galway, but got a bit off them because they got linguistically too sloppy for my liking...McTiernan overtakes him like a Ferrari does a Renault 4.

Thank you for the recommendation. Having spent a few years living in Galway I was also a big fan of Bruen but as the series went on he seemed to be just fulfilling his contract. Will check out McTiernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

I got 'Vagina-A re-education' by Lynne Enright after reading a very positive review about it.
    Anyone any insight into it? I'll post back here after I've finished it to let you know.

Let us know what it's like I was going to buy this.

I haven't read it, but it's a great title.

Reminds me of what Francois Mauriac wrote to a protege of Simone de Beauvoir, after Beauvoir published 'The Second Sex': 'I now know everything there is to know about your boss's vagina'.

Bonne chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm currently giving the ' Milkman' ago again. I'm determined to finish it but finding it a bit headwreacking.

No one in the book has a name so far anyway. So people are referred to as somebody mc somebody or 3rd sister. Not helpfully when she has about 10 siblings.

Has anyone actually finished + liked this book?

Anyway other great books I have read in-between are

Her Kind- Niamh Boyce- Amazing book set in 14th century+ although it's fiction it's based on witch hunt in Kilkenny. I won't give plot away but don't finish it like me at 1am in morning if prone to nightmares!

The Language of Kindness-A Nurses story & Adam Kay- Junior Doctor. Both brilliant reads about frontline staff in NHS.

Finished Hiliray Clinton book. Thought she was a bit self righteous + didn't really accept that she messed up + that's why Trump won.

Next up will be Michelle Obama & new Sinead Gleason book. Looking forward to both of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

appledrop wrote:
    Next up will be Michelle Obama & new Sinead Gleason book. Looking forward to both of these.

Halfway through "Becoming " and thoroughly enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm currently giving the ' Milkman' ago again. I'm determined to finish it but finding it a bit headwreacking.

No one in the book has a name so far anyway. So people are referred to as somebody mc somebody or 3rd sister. Not helpfully when she has about 10 siblings.

Has anyone actually finished + liked this book?

Anyway other great books I have read in-between are

Her Kind- Niamh Boyce- Amazing book set in 14th century+ although it's fiction it's based on witch hunt in Kilkenny. I won't give plot away but don't finish it like me at 1am in morning if prone to nightmares!

The Language of Kindness-A Nurses story & Adam Kay- Junior Doctor. Both brilliant reads about frontline staff in NHS.

Finished Hiliray Clinton book. Thought she was a bit self righteous + didn't really accept that she messed up + that's why Trump won.

It makes me sad that I failed to finish Milkman. I wanted to make a list I could refer to if all the characters.

Currently reading Jodi Picoult ‘A spark of light’

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

appledrop wrote: »
    Let us know what it's like I was going to buy this.

Never rains but it pours..
    I had 9 Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty reserved for months with my library.
    It arrived today.
    Have Vagina and 9 Perfect Strangers to get through now!
    I'll definitely post back on Vagina but be patient!
    Life is very busy at the moment so could take longer than my usual sprint reading :D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Noir by Christopher Moore.. Weird read so far but enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm about to start Amy Schumer's autobiography, "The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo". I love it for that title if nothing else!

I'm also currently reading a book by a psychiatrist called Lynne Jones, "Outside The Asylum: A Memoir Of War, Disaster And Humanitarian Psychiatry". Very sad but very inspirational and well-written, I would recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Just finished The Plea by Steve Cavanagh, based on a recommendation here. Great legal thriller that goes at a cracking pace. Going to read another of his next week.
    Currently reading 1014 by Morgan Llywellyn, which is about Brian Boru and the battle of Clontarf. In some ways she seems to be going for the savioir of the Irish from the Viking hordes but it also looks at how they already had established kingdoms and alliances with other Irish kingdoms. It also has some very cringey Oirishisms.

Ipso wrote: »
    Just finished The Plea by Steve Cavanagh, based on a recommendation here. Great legal thriller that goes at a cracking pace. Going to read another of his next week.
    Currently reading 1014 by Morgan Llywellyn, which is about Brian Boru and the battle of Clontarf. In some ways she seems to be going for the savioir of the Irish from the Viking hordes but it also looks at how they already had established kingdoms and alliances with other Irish kingdoms. It also has some very cringey Oirishisms.
    Oh God I can just imagine. I read her book on Fionn McCool. Actually that's not quite true because it was unfinishable. Exactly the kind of rubbish you'd expect from a sentimental American reminiscing about the old country after a few too many glasses of Irish Mist.

Do you know who I think would do a great justice to the story of Brian Boru? Colm Tóibín. Or If not Brian himself perhaps his mother. His 'The Testament of Mary' was a superb portrait of a (probably) historical figure. It takes great skill to write something new about such a familiar character.

It was the first new thing anybody had said about historical Mary since the popes got their hands on her.

Am currently reading All We Shall Know by Donal Ryan. Its been sitting on my shelves for ages, a joy to finally delve into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Just finished The Handmaid's Tale Graphic Novel. Very well done and a welcome antidote to all the dodgy rip-off books of Margaret Atwood's classic that seem to be everywhere these days. It is good to see this and am looking forward to the upcoming The Testaments too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Books open everywhere . Some craft and home ec. books written in the 60s, Darina Allens forgotten Skills of Cooking (really handy), Two Knotty Boys (love anything knot related), and Knotmaking in Witchcraft. Can't concentrate on stories but I've been sporadically reading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

''Nurturing Attachments: Supporting Children who are Fostered or Adopted'' arrived today and I'll start it tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“The Friends of Eddie Coyle” by George V. Higgins.

Great story of a small time crook and his acquaintances, really excellent dialogue. Properly gritty and none of the glamour you usually get with a book about the “bad guys”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Reading the Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama and The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F Hamilton.

Both good for different reasons :)

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm halfway through "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez. It follows several generations of a family from the founding of a village in the rainforests of Colombia. It straddles an odd line between realism and fantasy. It's an enjoyable read for sure, though I'd struggle to explain exactly what I enjoy about it!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The Book of Tanya. Only excerpts from this though.

Books open everywhere . Some craft and home ec. books written in the 60s, Darina Allens forgotten Skills of Cooking (really handy), Two Knotty Boys (love anything knot related), and Knotmaking in Witchcraft. Can't concentrate on stories but I've been sporadically reading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

''Nurturing Attachments: Supporting Children who are Fostered or Adopted'' arrived today and I'll start it tonight

Tell me more about Knotmaking in Witchcraft :). I honestly have no idea what that could be but I'm immensely intrigued....

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I'm halfway through "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez. It follows several generations of a family from the founding of a villa in the rainforests of Colombia. It straddles an odd line between realism and fantasy. It's an enjoyable read for sure, though I'd struggle to explain exactly what I enjoy about it!

This is one of the greatest books I've ever read (ages ago). It leads you into a world that is nothing you knew about before. It's like you plunged into a linguistic rainbow.
    Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to re-read it now.

Tell me more about Knotmaking in Witchcraft :). I honestly have no idea what that could be but I'm immensely intrigued....

I got the title wrong , this one's called ''knot magic'', but anyway :)...knots were common method of creating spells. It's a way to bind your intentions . It was mostly used for cursing , and impotence or infertility spells (horrible, I know, although there were other purposes , like Witches Ladder spells which could be done with any intent in mind. I've got a WL that I made, on the kitchen wall.

I got the title wrong , this one's called ''knot magic'', but anyway :)...knots were common method of creating spells. It's a way to bind your intentions . It was mostly used for cursing , and impotence or infertility spells (horrible, I know, although there were other purposes , like Witches Ladder spells which could be done with any intent in mind. I've got a WL that I made, on the kitchen wall.

I've learned something new, thanks! :)
    I think I want a witches ladder now (googled it). I want one for every room and one especially for the effin boiler room :rolleyes:

(makes list for strings, cords, feathers and assorted stuff - and for the book "Knot Magic")

I've learned something new, thanks! :)
    I think I want a witches ladder now (googled it). I want one for every room and one especially for the effin boiler room :rolleyes:

(makes list for strings, cords, feathers and assorted stuff - and for the book "Knot Magic")

Tylluan Penry is the writer. She has a Youtube channel where she goes into the folklore and traditions of it a bit, too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just downloaded The Autobiography of Henry III, by Margaret George.

Ordinarily I like to give a quick overview of a book, but I'm sure King Henry VIII needs no introduction.

I've been hooked on the Tudors for awhile now, actually since The Tudors TV show (fantastic series) and went to London for the first time only recently just to visit The Tower of London, I loved Traitors Gate where Anne Boleyn was brought into the tower.

Apart from that I've also downloaded 'Don't Stop me Now' by Vassos Alexandra.. Its a running book, I won't bore you all with the details lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement