Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

Just downloaded The Autobiography of Henry III, by Margaret George.

Ordinarily I like to give a quick overview of a book, but I'm sure King Henry VIII needs no introduction.

I've been hooked on the Tudors for awhile now, actually since The Tudors TV show (fantastic series) and went to London for the first time only recently just to visit The Tower of London, I loved Traitors Gate where Anne Boleyn was brought into the tower.

Apart from that I've also downloaded 'Don't Stop me Now' by Vassos Alexandra.. Its a running book, I won't bore you all with the details lol

I remember reading that one years ago and enjoyed it a lot. TBH The Tudurs TV series looked like rubbish to me, so I didn't watch a minute of it.
    Did you visit the Church of St Peter ad Vincula when you were in the Tower? The bodies of Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard are buried under the alter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

8mv wrote: »
    I remember reading that one years ago and enjoyed it a lot. TBH The Tudurs TV series looked like rubbish to me, so I didn't watch a minute of it.
    Did you visit the Church of St Peter ad Vincula when you were in the Tower? The bodies of Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard are buried under the alter.

I did visit, loved everything about it and plan on going back after this book.

I avoided the TV show because all I'd heard about it was 'tits and ass', so I didn't think it would have any depth to the story.

But I watched The Crown first, absolutely amazing.

That got me interested in British royalty, and I'd be a pretty strong republican. So out of boredom I started The Tudors and was gripped from the off.

Its brilliant, well worth watching.

I loved the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo so I bought his new, unrelated to Hole, book called Macbeth. I assumed it was more of the same, the tortured detective thing but it's a retelling of the actual Play Macbeth. That's not my bag at all. It's set in some kind of dystopian world and uses a lot of the same names as in the Play. Maybe I should give it a chance. I bought Kate Morton's The Clockmaker's Daughter today so might have better luck with it.

Reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson.

Enjoying it quite a lot. Definitely not beautiful prose but the story and world building is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

Book of Bones by John Connelly. An irish writer who writes hard boiled US based detective thrillers. His research especially in this one is impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson.

Enjoying it quite a lot. Definitely not beautiful prose but the story and world building is good.

Me too!

Took me a little bit to get into it but I'm enjoying it now. I'm about halfway through.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Me too!

Took me a little bit to get into it but I'm enjoying it now. I'm about halfway through.

I'm around half way through as well.

I read and loved the three Stormlight Archive books and have decided to do Elantris and Mistborn over the coming months. The "magic" and religion Sanderson puts into his books is extremely well thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm around half way through as well.

I read and loved the three Stormlight Archive books and have decided to do Elantris and Mistborn over the coming months. The "magic" and religion Sanderson puts into his books is extremely well thought out.

I've read Mistborn and the Wax and Wayne books but not Stormlight Archives so I'll be making my way through those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I did visit, loved everything about it and plan on going back after this book.

I avoided the TV show because all I'd heard about it was 'tits and ass', so I didn't think it would have any depth to the story.

But I watched The Crown first, absolutely amazing.

That got me interested in British royalty, and I'd be a pretty strong republican. So out of boredom I started The Tudors and was gripped from the off.

Its brilliant, well worth watching.

Dan Jones has a couple good books on the early days of English royalty (I’m not a monarchist at all but that aspect of English history is very interesting), The Plantagenets and The Wars of the Roses: Rise of the Tudors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The Last Person Who Called Me Sweetpea Ended Up Dead. I'm only on the first page, which is like reading the Boards ''annoyances '' thread if all the posters were having psychotic episodes AND the wrong team won. It's a long ''people are sh1t'' rant, before she kills 'em all (I think ). I like dark humour but I'm finding it hard work so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Oh God.
    I'm half way through 'Nine Perfect Strangers' which I was expecting to be a cracker based on her previous books.
    Boy, am I disappointed!
    It's totally out there.
    I really can't imagine this being transformed into a series.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden.
    First book in the Conqueror series of historical fiction novels based on the Mongols. Had a good 2 hour flight yesterday that got me stuck in to it and can’t put it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

James Evans' Merchant Adventurers.

A well written account of the Tudor voyage from England to Russia via the northern route being sought to Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden.
    First book in the Conqueror series of historical fiction novels based on the Mongols. Had a good 2 hour flight yesterday that got me stuck in to it and can’t put it down.

His Emperor series were probably the best series of novels I've ever read.

But tbh by the end I was thankful to put him away for a bit but I'll defo return to Iggulden.

I still get excited when I think of his Emperor stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Makikomi you might like this book. Its a collection of essays written by historians :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-If-Military-Historians-Imagine/dp/0330487248/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=what+if&qid=1557776555&s=gateway&sr=8-5
    What If? is a collection of counterfactual essays dealing with military events. Concentrating on some of the most intriguing military history turning points of the last 3,000 years

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Animal Farm by George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I'm almost through with Metropolis by Philip Kerr.

It's Kerr's last book he wrote before he died (it was published after his death) and the last book in the Bernie Gunther series, the Berlin policeman during the Nazi era and through to the post war era.

In Metropolis he went back to a time before the series started, to 1928 when Gunther was a young policeman just starting out at the murder squad.
    Berlin is rife with decadence, terror and right wing fear mongering and I couldn't help but see parallels with our current times.

It's a fantastic crime novel but also a kind of topical social and political commentary.

I was very sad when Kerr died last year, he was such a brilliant storyteller.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Candlemass

Everything Is F*cked - Mark Manson, enjoying it so far I like his way of thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭megaten

Just finished up The Berlin Stories by Christopher Isherwood. A collection of two novella's depicting a fictionalised account of the author's time in Berlin before and during the Nazi's rise to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sebastian Barry -The Temporary Gentleman, set in Africa in the late 1950s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Spooks series by Joseph Delaney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Political Ideals by Bertrand Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

Sapiens: A Brief History of Human Kind.

I can't put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Trying to read the last book of The Wheel of Time after putting it off for years (been stuck thinking it made sense to reread them all then never making it through and putting the series aside). Love Sanderson but I feel Jordan has hamstrung him here a bit. I'm finding it all a bit dull and a struggle to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

TimeUp wrote: »

I can't put it down.

It's a great one allright, if you like Anthropology check out Jared Diamond - in particular "Rise and fall of the third Chimpanzee" , it's old but still a great book.

I am reading Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham and can't put that one down either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. I've managed to collect his entire book series now so i'll be reading through all of his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

Unfortunately I can't read

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

TimeUp wrote: »

I can't put it down.

I wont ruin the ending for you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Escape Room by Megan Goldin.

Half way through and it’s fairly interesting so far.

Finished My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing which was great fun. Bonkers but great fun all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Undividual wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't read

I know, who has the time these days!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement