Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Zorba the Greek. I've read it before. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Buried, if you are interested in Greek mythology you'll love his greek myths.
    gives the story of each god and goddess, myths and their variations. he gives his own interpretation, which is fine unless you are a scholarly classical scholar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah I'm definitely going to purchase all that mans work now. So cool, and its true, the fact he was giving his own interpretation in 'The White Goddess' opened up vistas of my own interpretation which was really brilliant and really eye opening. Fantastic work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Dark is the sun

You don't say :confused:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 new Author

Book Of Bones by John Connolly pretty hard to put down like most of the Charlie Parker books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Will that mean less posts bragging about your life?
    :confused:

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,461 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Just finished No Place Like Home by Mary Higgins Clark after starting it over two months ago.

It was quite torturous to read and I really hate crime fiction written in the first person which added to the misery of reading this book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Will you be incorporating stoicism and stoic philosophy into your life, Makikomi? Being humble, patient, and empathetic in everything you do? Battling the hubris and excess of the ego? Will that mean less posts bragging about your life?

Nope, not in the least.

But I'll continue doing what Aurelious advises me, re. not giving two shits about others and their opinions of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

... what Aurelious advises me, re. not giving two shits about others and their opinions of me.

Must. Read. Aurelius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Carry wrote: »
    Must. Read. Aurelius.

Might be putting Descartes before the horse there, C.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Might be putting Descartes before the horse there, C.

Are you saying you Kant read one in isolation to the other?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You're too Jung for that. Also, *insert sentence about schadeFreude here*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

New Home wrote: »
    You're too Jung for that. Also, *insert sentence about schadeFreude here*.

To Hume are you referring?!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Any appetite here for a free book recycling/ pass it forward kind of thing?

With this big Green vote in the elections, I feel quite guilty looking at my bookshelves and the mini forest that I've accumulated -- books that I will never read again.

Have just finished reading The Master and Margarita. Hard copy, good condition, If anyone wants it and can collect it in the city centre (Dublin) or D6 PM me. Otherwise it's just a waste of good paper (no offence, Mr Bulgakov)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

With this big Green vote in the elections, I feel quite guilty looking at my bookshelves and the mini forest that I've accumulated -- books that I will never read again.

Have just finished reading The Master and Margarita. Hard copy, good condition, If anyone wants it and can collect it in the city centre (Dublin) or D6 PM me. Otherwise it's just a waste of good paper (no offence, Mr Bulgakov)

I leave my unwanted books at the library. They have a freebies shelf. Good place to discard the unwanteds, and also to pick up other people's unwanteds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or you could bring it to a nursing home, homeless shelter, day centre, etc, or donate it to a charity shop.

Good idea. I met a boardsie recently to give her some books (still have to find the first and last book from the Emperor series for her).

All my reading is on Kindle these days, and in pubs lol

481222.jpg

Except that I recently bought Leonard Cohen's 'Book of Longing', I had it years ago and lost it and wanted it again. Its a lovely thing to hold and read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭appledrop

So I'm now half way through Milkman. I hate it. In her book she has a character name Somebody Mc Somebody. I've renamed this book Loopy Mc Loopy. How the hell did this winner Manbooker prize? I have read plenty of longlisted ones + liked a good few of them.

I will finish it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Why force yourself to read something you're not enjoying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭appledrop

I always finish a book. In rare cases the ending or some part of book might give me an eurkua moment + I change my view on book.

• Advertisement

Me too. I feel I can't justly criticise a book until I've completed it. Because ... you just never know.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I always finish a book that I've started...eventually. In one case it took me 7 years to finish The Cider House Rules. I read half the book when I bought it (I loved the movie) and couldn't finish it. I came back to it years later and started again and I enjoyed it.

I hated every page of Shantaram. I can say that because I finished it :)

I always finish a book that I've started...eventually. In one case it took me 7 years to finish The Cider House Rules. I read half the book when I bought it (I loved the movie) and couldn't finish it. I came back to it years later and started again and I enjoyed it.

I hated every page of Shantaram. I can say that because I finished it :)

Uh oh, I've those two exact books on my to be read shelf :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Just started Normal People, Sally Rooney

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Why force yourself to read something you're not enjoying?
    appledrop wrote: »
    I always finish a book. In rare cases the ending or some part of book might give me an eurkua moment + I change my view on book.

I've pushed on through some books and found some real gems, two which come to mind are Unit Pride, and Exodus by Leon Uris.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

quickbeam wrote: »
    Uh oh, I've those two exact books on my to be read shelf :eek:

The Cider House Rules is well worth a read. When I started it in 2007 I had a lot of things going on at the time and probably didn't give it the attention I should have. Can't say the same for Shantaram. I'm not very fond of the author so that probably has a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Finished reading:
    Calibans War (Expanse Series #2)

Definitely preferred it over the first book in the series. Kept my interest much better. Couldn't put it down at some points!

Just stared reading:
    Cage of Souls by Adrian Tchaikovsky

I'm about 120 pages in. Seems like another excellent offering from an author who is quickly becoming a favourite of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. It's starting to outstay it's welcome now after a really promising start and if it doesn't pick up soon, I'm going to drop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. It's starting to outstay it's welcome now after a really promising start and if it doesn't pick up soon, I'm going to drop it.
    Sadly, Reynolds is often guilty of weak endings to otherwise very good books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

The Last Person Who Called Me Sweetpea Ended Up Dead. I'm only on the first page, which is like reading the Boards ''annoyances '' thread if all the posters were having psychotic episodes AND the wrong team won. It's a long ''people are sh1t'' rant, before she kills 'em all (I think ). I like dark humour but I'm finding it hard work so far.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through and actually really enjoying it! Never thought a sociopath could be so strangely likeable. Did you finish it in the end? What did you think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement