Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

All That Remains, by Sue Black (a forensic anthropologist in the UK.)

For a book about death, it's surprisingly light and uplifting. Really makes you appreciate life.

As a result of reading it, I've started the process of registering with a university to donate my body to science when I die - sure it's not like I'll have any use for it any more, and it's fascinating to read about how important body donations are in the education of students in the medical profession. Nice to think I'll be part of that.
    That sounds right up my alley.
    I read a similar sounding book called Unnatural causes by Dr Richard Shepherd (former forensic pathologist) it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

greenspurs wrote: »
    "The president is missing" - James Patterson & Bill Clinton.

Very good so far, half way through it.
    Would love to know how much Clinton contributed to it .
    I presume Clinton wrote up an idea in a couple of pages, Patterson expanded it to a 10 page summary, and some uncredited ghost writer actually wrote the book. Patterson published 22 books last year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Patterson_bibliography

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

gmisk wrote: »
    That sounds right up my alley.
    I read a similar sounding book called Unnatural causes by Dr Richard Shepherd (former forensic pathologist) it was fantastic.

You might enjoy the novels of Kathy Reichs
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kathy-Reichs/e/B000APED9E

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The Stuarts by John Miller.
    Going through a bit of a Charles 1 phase at the moment. It's a little heavy at times. But good I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You might enjoy the novels of Kathy Reichs
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kathy-Reichs/e/B000APED9E
    Oh thanks might check them out.

I have started reading "the humans" by Matt Haig
    (Just for a bit of contrast...it is terrific so far...and very funny)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

When all is said by Anne Griffin. Just started it but hooked so far. It's about an old man who reminises about 5 people who have had an impact on his life. I have a feeling it's a book that will have me crying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In One Person by John Irving, author of the 1980 bestseller and film The World According To Garp.

I'm re-reading Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett. One of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I'm gone buck-mad listening to audio books. Is it cheating? I feel like I'm cheating!
    (Skintown was read by the author Kieran McMenamin and it was FANTASTIC.)

heldel00 wrote: »
    I'm gone buck-mad listening to audio books. Is it cheating? I feel like I'm cheating!
    (Skintown was read by the author Kieran McMenamin and it was FANTASTIC.)

I'd kind of consider it cheating..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Narrows by Michael Connelly, really enjoying it, the book is well into the Bosch series and a couple other characters make appearances so I must go and check out the earlier stuff

Victor the Assassin series by Tom Wood

https://www.goodreads.com/series/98326-victor-the-assassin

light summer fare - not the worst of this type of stuff at all but it's not going to be too thought-provoking but then again I wouldn't be reading this for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

But, but, but the house has never been cleaner. Earphones in, hit play and even the most mundane of tasks seems less so.

I have The Keeper by Graham Norton and Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty on the bedside locker ready to go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yeah, I don't condemn it as a method of entertainment. But I don't count it as reading.

I'm struggling to read lately and I really miss it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

why? never heard that idea.. it is still communication of the written word. Used to read aloud to a blind friend and it is still reading .. many authors give live readings

In between real books, the Twilight Saga... I have volumes 1 and 3 but reading online is hard for me so I am stuck in New Moon..

I read to while dark hours away so a good, gripping story is all I ask. Not horror . Just a good story... and I knit as I read..

Graces7 wrote: »

why? never heard that idea.. it is still communication of the written word. Used to read aloud to a blind friend and it is still reading .. many authors give live readings

Yeah, but when you were reading to your blind friend you were reading it..he/she wasn't..I'm not knocking it like, but it's hardly the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Finished "Stillness and Speed" about Dennis Bergkamp. Enjoyable read about his career and his opinions about how football should be played.
    Also reading "Air Force Blue" by Patrick Bishop, about the RAF during WW2. Only 20% in but good, well researched so far.

Yeah, but when you were reading to your blind friend you were reading it..he/she wasn't..I'm not knocking it like, but it's hardly the same..

it is still reading in the true meaning of it; communicating ideas and thoughts in words

I will soon be unable to read words. will listen then. and as an author I welcome sound reading.

and shakespeare ..

On this we will have to agree to differ i think! That is fine too

PS I hate reading online. now THAT does not feel like really reading.. no pages to turn!. But no library access etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

OJ Simpson's "If i Did It". Yes OJ, of course it's a hypothetical scenario:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭donegal_man

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    OJ Simpson's "If i Did It". Yes OJ, of course it's a hypothetical scenario:rolleyes:

Is it true Nicole's family as part of their civil action got the "if" printed in really small type, so it looks like it's called "I Did It"?
    I really hope it is although it sounds like an urban myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ScottCapper

I’m reading “Kings of capital” at the minute. it’s about private equity and follows Blackstone from founding to present day.

I just finished up reading Zero to One by Peter Thiel fascinating book on entrepreneurship.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Is it true Nicole's family as part of their civil action got the "if" printed in really small type, so it looks like it's called "I Did It"?
    I really hope it is although it sounds like an urban myth.

That's exactly what happened. The "If" is barely visible.

Proceeds of the sale of thiose go to The Goldman Family in lieu of an award the recieved

s-l300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Art of Thinking Clearly: Better Thinking, Better Decisions by Rolf Dobelli.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Thinking-Clearly-Better-Decisions/dp/1444759566

It is broken up into very small chapters 2/3 pages so it can be read quickly or you can dip in and out of it as you wish.
    It describes various biases in decision making using antidotes and with a little humour.
    So you do not have to be well versed in behavioural psychology to understand it.

I worked my way through this following the recommendation here. It was all very interesting, but I can't really see how you could apply the lessons to the real world. Unless you go through every one of his 'lessons' every time, there was no real basis to action the learning.

I did love the Max Planc chauffeur story.

https://fs.blog/2015/09/two-types-of-knowledge/

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Hokuto

Charles.R Cross 'Heavier Than Heaven'. A bit disturbing in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Shadowplay, by Joseph O'Connor. Really enjoying it so far! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41723505-shadowplay

Funnily enough I read another book called Shadowplay this week :pac: http://www.books.ie/shadowplay-behind-the-lines-and-under-fire-the-inside-story-of-europe-s-last-war

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Delighted to find a new novel by Jame Lee Burke, in his Dave Robicheaux series, "The New Iberia Blues". A couple of chapters in so far, good as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Delighted to find a new novel by Jame Lee Burke, in his Dave Robicheaux series, "The New Iberia Blues". A couple of chapters in so far, good as ever.
    Has to be one of my favourite US Crime writers

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

They marched into sunlight. David Maraniss

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement