Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The secret of the sands.
    Kindle Edition €2.78

Excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ragged-Trousered_Philanthropists

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists tells the story of a group of working men who are joined one day by Owen, a journeyman-prophet with a vision of a just society. Owen's spirited attacks on the greed and dishonesty of the capitalist system rouse his fellow men from their political quietism. The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists is both a masterpiece of wit and political passion and one of the most authentic novels of English working class life ever written.

Everyone should read this book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

01 Area Code 2002 by Telecom Eireann

Great read.
    The Zyskowskis did it in the end ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

The Untouchable by John Banville
    The Book of Evidence by John Banville

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Lu Lu agus Ri Ra - A tale of sex, drugs, murder and learning Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Rape of Peking. Written by two Irish journalists in 1989 about the events of the 1989 Tiananmen massacre. Brilliant read, short too (about 200 pages). Some facts are a bit wrong seeing as it was only written a few months after the event happened.
    I was absolutely stuck to it, and it really sucked me into the whole event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ann and Barry
    Right little rascals

I think there was a dog called Murphy too

For a serious answer, the Sharpe series, Civil War series or Agincourt. All great books, I haven't read the ancient England series

Sean Bean was in the TV version of Sharpe, every episode is up on youtube ;)

Agincourt is the best and it's fairly violent and gruesome. But then that's war
    http://www.bernardcornwell.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I just read The Hunger Games trilogy, very enjoyable, not too challenging, not too insultingly obvious. Available at a discount if you buy all 3 books on Kindle.

Dracula is available on Kindle, free. Its actually really good if you can wipe Gary Oldman hamming it up from your mind.

Nearly anything by Philip K Dick or Frank Herberts Dune if you like sci fi/fantasy.

Also recently read The Island Of The Day Before, by Umberto Eco (he also wrote the brilliant Name Of The Rose), loved it.

Adolous Huxley's Brave New World, gets more relevant every time I read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Alice In Wonderland. Not a funny post. but it's a great book!
    Agreed - and it's a free eBook from many sources, including Apple iBook, or gutenberg.org which has thousands of public domain eBooks. If you've enjoyed any of the Sherlock Holmes films or TV shows recently, several of the original books by Arthur Conan Doyle are there, including The Hound of the Baskervilles. Or, if you're looking for something more serious, try some Edith Wharton, such as The House of Mirth, or The Age of Innocence, which was made in to a film by Martin Scorsese.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Quowra

The Alchemist written by Paulo Coelho is one of the best books that I ever read. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    Bought a kindle recently and am back into reading books. Reading about one a week now.

Looking for recommendations. Willing to read anything once it's good.

Art of Assembly Language Programming and HLA by Randall Hyde

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The Stormlight Archive is a great little book, I couldnt put it down and read all two books in three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Read through the 'What book are you reading' thread...it's like a book in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Quowra wrote: »
    The Alchemist written by Paulo Coelho is one of the best books that I ever read. Highly recommended.

Funny as it bored me to tears.

The ending nearly made me f*ck it at the wall. Very patronising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Try this one. Bear with it though as the language gets quite complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_22

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

Anything by Stephen King, The Shining or IT in particular

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

We Need To Talk About Kevin is brilliant, can't remember author at the moment.

Testimony by Anita Shrive - brilliant.

I am currently reading The Help, and that is really good as well. I was not well today so spent a good bit of time reading it and am thoroughly hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Animal Farm, Coming Up For Air and 1984 by George Orwell.
    The Medici by Paul Statherm is my favourite non-fiction book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Not sure if it's available on Kindle but you should check out "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Also on a serious note 'City of God'...amazing book.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Papillon

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Some excellent recommendations and hours of reading to get stuck in to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Suas11 wrote: »

At the risk of being deemed low brow, my life was just too short to waste on that book. I found it absolute drivel. I gave up on it after a few chapters as it really is twaddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

A Prayer for Owen Meaney by John Irving is a cracking read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The revelation space books from Alastair Reynolds are awesome, the Peter F Hamilton books are also great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement