Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

I'm nearly finished 'Moonglow' by Michael Chabon. A really enjoyable read, mixing up fiction with historical facts (Operation Paperclip, Wernher von Braun). I picked it up after reading his novel 'Wonder Boys'. I will be reading more of his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I'm nearly finished 'Moonglow' by Michael Chabon. A really enjoyable read, mixing up fiction with historical facts (Operation Paperclip, Wernher von Braun). I picked it up after reading his novel 'Wonder Boys'. I will be reading more of his books.

Is “Wonder Boys” worth a read?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Yes, I really liked it. The main character is a walking cliche (kind of the point) but it's a fun read.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Read it many years ago now at this stage but it's well worth a read. I bought the book after seeing the movie with Michael Douglas. It was on very late one evening. Decided to take a punt on it instead of going to bed. Really enjoyed it and enjoyed the book. I have The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and Moonglow in my to read pile.

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. Read a third yesterday and will probably finish it today. It's a long weekend with bad weather.

It's fine. Nowhere near Stormlight Archive / Mistborn in scope or scale or "epicness".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I'm reading A Conspiracy of Lies by Frank Connolly.

It's a fictional take on the Dublin bombings of 1974.

Two young people are deeply and personally affected by the bombs in the city centre and meet by chance some time later and find out, first accidentally then by investigating, that there is a conspiracy going on about the atrocity - the British secret service seems to be behind it, with the knowledge of the Irish government that is cowed and blackmailed by the Brits to do their bidding in fighting the IRA.

I'm only a third of the book through but it's fascinating to read about a time in Ireland I don't know much about. It's highly political and gripping at the same time so far and you get a sense of the political and social atmosphere in the 70's.

Connolly is or was an investigative journalist and it's obvious with his writing style. He seems to know a lot more and in an interview he said, if I remember right, that he wanted all the questions and suspicions around the bombings in some way addressed, which is only possible in a fictional way because no news outlet would probably touch it because there is too much conjecture .

As far as I know there are still a lot of unanswered questions about the British involvement. I'm intrigued now about the true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I have recently finished Ireland's Pirate Trail by Des Ekin, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and Daddy's Gone A Hunting by Mary Higgins Clark, which wasn't as bad as I had anticipated.

I will start The Boy Who Followed His Father into Auschwitz by Jeremy Dronfield sometime this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Just started reading Games people play by Eric Berne,
    Ive only started it so only read about 45 pages but its a short book so im already a quarter the way in. Its a psychology book about human interaction and transactional analysis, so far its focusing on the 3 ego states - child, parent and adult and how these states either inhibit or foster personal relationships. Im very interested in psychology and so far im finding this book very interesting although heavy reading at times but I think thats more to do with the language used in the book rather than the actual content. The original copy is from like the 40's or the 50's or something so his use of language can be a bit confusing at times, its's also quite misogynistic - conversations about kitchens and grocery shopping is apparently 'womens talk', its a true reflection of the era it comes from which can be interesting and funny at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Red Clocks. Just about 25% in. Not very enjoyable and will throw aside when the real thing (The Testaments) comes along next week. It seems only Margaret Atwood can do true justice to that type of book. Did not enjoy Vox much either, but it was better than Red Clocks. Love The Handmaid's Tale but the copycat books not so much. Milkman was almost a Handmaid's ripoff in disguise too I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

The princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd. Just 20 pages in, seems good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Just started reading Games people play by Eric Berne,
    Ive only started it so only read about 45 pages but its a short book so im already a quarter the way in. Its a psychology book about human interaction and transactional analysis, so far its focusing on the 3 ego states - child, parent and adult and how these states either inhibit or foster personal relationships. Im very interested in psychology and so far im finding this book very interesting although heavy reading at times but I think thats more to do with the language used in the book rather than the actual content. The original copy is from like the 40's or the 50's or something so his use of language can be a bit confusing at times, its's also quite misogynistic - conversations about kitchens and grocery shopping is apparently 'womens talk', its a true reflection of the era it comes from which can be interesting and funny at the same time.

Another one in this area that is interesting (and not very heavy) is "Mistakes were made, but not by me" by Carol Tavris and Eliot Aronson.
    It looks at how people rationalise their decisions and at things like cognitive dissonance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I've just started rereading the Ian Rankin Rebus series, having read them maybe 10 years ago. I was in Edinburgh last month and visited the establishments mentioned in the books, so it makes it doubly enjoyable when I recognise the locations and have had a pint at the same tables, especially the Oxford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ipso wrote: »
    Another one in this area that is interesting (and not very heavy) is "Mistakes were made, but not by me" by Carol Tavris and Eliot Aronson.
    It looks at how people rationalise their decisions and at things like cognitive dissonance.

Thanks I love a good book recommendation, will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

A few books I’ve read recently;
    The Couple Nect Door by Shari Lapena, it’s alright, I wouldn’t recommend it.
    The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides, good read.
    The Ruin and The Scholar both by Dervla McTiernan, loved them both.
    When All Is Said by Anne Griffin, excellent read.
    The Middle Place by Kealan Ryan, awful awful reading. And I feel bad given that he’s an Irish author and it’s his debut novel. But I’m honestly offended that I paid money for this trash.
    Currently reading Three Women by Lisa Taddeo, enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Darkness is light enough, the diary of a night time naturalist, by Chris Ferris. Enchanting badger watching book from 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The Accidental Cure.
    But I've lost it !

Nigel Rees’ Book of Humorous Graffiti. This is the Koran for that after-dinner speaker. If you’re ever doing an after-dinner speech, you say, “My Lords, Ladies and gentlemen. Sorry I’m late, I just popped to the toilet. And while I was in there I saw some graffiti and it said ‘I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not so sure’”. Straight away you’ve for them by the Jaffas

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ipso wrote: »
    Nigel Rees’ Book of Humorous Graffiti. This is the Koran for that after-dinner speaker. If you’re ever doing an after-dinner speech, you say, “My Lords, Ladies and gentlemen. Sorry I’m late, I just popped to the toilet. And while I was in there I saw some graffiti and it said ‘I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not so sure’”. Straight away you’ve for them by the Jaffas
    Sounds good so just ordered it on Amazon. £5 well spent I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Middlemarch by George Eliot - Tough going so far, but I'm only about a fifth of the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Read "only ever yours". Very intense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I've just started rereading the Ian Rankin Rebus series, having read them maybe 10 years ago. I was in Edinburgh last month and visited the establishments mentioned in the books, so it makes it doubly enjoyable when I recognise the locations and have had a pint at the same tables, especially the Oxford.
    Snap !
    I picked up my very first Rebus books at Glasgow airport circa 2002 or 2003.
    Became addicted and read most books in the series, except the most recent ones. Don't have them anymore sadly as donated them before a move.

Love Edinburgh and whenever I am there I always think of Rebus haunts.
    Was in a second hand book shop earlier today and picked up In a House of Lies !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Age of Anger: A History of the Present Pankaj Mishra.

Excellent and I would recommend it maybe a little bit preachy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

I've been reliving my childhood with books. Just finished Christine by Stephen King and now onto Watership Down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I've been reliving my childhood with books. Just finished Christine by Stephen King and now onto Watership Down.

If you want to get more King books, I can recommend plenty. Also you read Christine as a child? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

batgoat wrote: »
    If you want to get more King books, I can recommend plenty. Also you read Christine as a child? :D

Heh yeah but my parents never knew so that's our secret. I've read quite a few of his books, he's a master of horror. Loved Tommyknockers. The Dead Zone, and IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

My favourite King book is Salem's Lot.

I'm reading Resurrection by Derek Landy.

_Godot_ wrote: »
    My favourite King book is Salem's Lot.

I'm reading Resurrection by Derek Landy.

Mine too. Must get around to reading The Shinning.

Reading Lolita at the minute.. should finish it today..

Nabokov really was a master..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Heh yeah but my parents never knew so that's our secret. I've read quite a few of his books, he's a master of horror. Loved Tommyknockers. The Dead Zone, and IT.

My mother always got me second hand copies of his books as a teen. New one out in a few days too.

Currently reading In Cold Blood, great read but reading it really slowly for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My mother got me my first Stephen King book, Misery, as a Christmas present in the late 80s and have been hooked ever since. I'm looking forward to The Institute, should be out here soon. I am just one chapter into Gwendy's Button Box, a novella by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar right now. It's about a 12 yr old girl who is trying to lose weight to go back to school. She meets a strange man who gives her a box with coloured buttons in it and says it will change her life. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement