Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

a book

highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with the general good books thread.
    There is also a Literature forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Reading "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

It's good!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Just starting 'Einstein on the Road'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I wish I could get back into reading :( I haven't sat down a read a book cover to cover in a few years. Computer games have destroyed my attention span!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Beesand

The Voiceover by Celine Curiol

If you enjoy french films where they smoke, drink coffee and have affairs, but nothing much seems to happen, then this is the book for you :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

token101 wrote: »
    I wish I could get back into reading :( I haven't sat down a read a book cover to cover in a few years. Computer games have destroyed my attention span!

Well then we need to recommend a good book that will give some sort of enrichment to your life

1. Songs of Fire and Ice (Game of thrones etc; )
    2. The Dark Tower series Stephen King
    3. One flew over the cuckoos nest (best fiction read EVER)
    4. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin (great classic read)
    5. Jurrasic Park - Michael Crichten (so brilliant, and SOOOOOO much better than the book

Now it's up to the other literafiles (or pulp fiction fans like myself) to recommend some titles

:):):):):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

At the risk of being deemed low brow, my life was just too short to waste on that book. I found it absolute drivel. I gave up on it after a few chapters as it really is twaddle.

That's a very harsh opinion and I'd have to disagree. Catch 22 is a very popular book, it features regularly on any major top 100 Books of the 20th Century listing, so most will probably disagree with your view.

I wonder what Yossarian would make of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Reading "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

It's good!

Same here, have you seen the movie yet? I bought it but not watched it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

chin_grin wrote: »
    Mein Kampf.

Extremely poor book actually. Hitler was no write and a lot of the book degenerates into ranting and raving against Bolshevism, Judaism, Versailles etc.

I found reading it a complete waste of time to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Yossarian lives! That is all.

If anyone is having trouble getting back to reading then I recommend starting with a short book, maybe something light and entertaining. You'll fly through it and be in a better state of mind to tackle something larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

'The Slap' by Christos Tsiolkas. Not loving it to be honest, but it was a gift from my dad, so I feel a bit guilt-tripped into finishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

"Bonny Prince Charlie* by Carolly Erickson.

Jacobites and all that :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Just started re-reading 100 years of solitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Beesand

I'm reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez too-

just started 'Of Love and Other Demons'. I'm two chapters in and loving it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

The Gathering by Anne Enright.. Admittedly it's for college and I should have read it weeks ago but it's fantastic, funny, dark and honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm reading a great little book I found in work called '1000 Great Lives'.

It's done alphabetically and lists everyone from Abraham Lincoln to Zsa Zsa Gabor. It's done in short little paragraphs and features lots intersting people from Spiritual leaders to War Heroes, from Music icons to sports stars.

It gives the persons' name and the time they were alive
    eg. Ghandi, Mohandas (1869-1948)

It was published in 1997 so there's a bit of fun to be had with filling in death years for people!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

That's a very harsh opinion and I'd have to disagree. Catch 22 is a very popular book, it features regularly on any major top 100 Books of the 20th Century listing, so most will probably disagree with your view.

I wonder what Yossarian would make of it?

I had been really looking forward to reading Catch 22. But I just found it a chore to read. I was determined to struggle through the tedium but I kept falling asleep.
    As a remedy for insomnia I'd give it 10 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I'm reading Engage by Paul Kimmage. It's impossible to put down. Tragic story about a young English rugby player. He broke his neck during a training session for the England U21's. Paralysed from the neck down.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

hondasam wrote: »
    Same here, have you seen the movie yet? I bought it but not watched it.

Nope, don't really intend on watching the movie either. They never live up to the books IMO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

TwoBirds wrote: »
    'The Slap' by Christos Tsiolkas. Not loving it to be honest, but it was a gift from my dad, so I feel a bit guilt-tripped into finishing it.

I was expecting great things from this book...

Not loving it is an understatement from me..

I've given up about three times now and gone to another book..

I reckon I'm about half way through it and so far it just feels like it needs more than a slap.. maybe a good kick up the arse..

Lots of words but nothing seems to actually happen..

Might eventually get to the end of it - if I run out of books..

Dismal so far though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Suas11 wrote: »
    Began reading it a couple of years ago. After a while trying to fogure out what teh hell was going on, I gave up not even halfway. Can't even look at it in a bookshop :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have two new books to read, which should I start first?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson or A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson?
    Finished off both of these today, Bryson's book was very good and extremely funny at times, but the second half wasn't as good as the first.

Fear and Loathing is simply bat shít crazy, I must now watch the movie which I haven't actually seen before...

Next up on the list is Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I had been really looking forward to reading Catch 22. But I just found it a chore to read. I was determined to struggle through the tedium but I kept falling asleep.
    As a remedy for insomnia I'd give it 10 out of 10

Started reading Catch 22 a few months ago but had to put it aside to study for exams. Never got around to picking it up since! It irks me that the names of the people and places are so hard to pronounce. :( It totally breaks the flow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Fear and Loathing is simply bat shít crazy, I must now watch the movie which I haven't actually seen before...

Don't do it!!! I worked in a cinema in the late 90's and got free passes to all the movies, in the two years or so I worked there I would have seen pretty much every movie; the one and only movie I walked out of was Fear and Loathing. It was utterly weird, crazy ****. I think you would have to be on something to enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Don't do it!!! I worked in a cinema in the late 90's and got free passes to all the movies, in the two years or so I worked there I would have seen pretty much every movie; the one and only movie I walked out of was Fear and Loathing. It was utterly weird, crazy ****. I think you would have to be on something to enjoy it!

I honestly thought that was the point. It is a strange movie though, just assumed the book would be similar. Friend has it, must borrow it some time. I see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest mentioned a few times. Have neither read it or seen the movie despite often saying I would do both. So I've just been inspired to log into Amazon...somebody drag me out in an hour.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Halfway through 1984, superb read so far.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

I started reading "A Visit from the Goon Squad" about a week ago... Incredible book. Got it as an Xmas present otherwise I don't think I would've picked it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm not liking all this hatred for Catch 22, which in my eyes is in the top 10 of all time.
    Maybe some people just don't have a sense of humour ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Started reading Catch 22 a few months ago but had to put it aside to study for exams. Never got around to picking it up since! It irks me that the names of the people and places are so hard to pronounce. :( It totally breaks the flow
    That's why I've never watched it, I know it's a movie that I just wouldn't like. But now that I've read the book (which is probably equally weird and crazy) I feel like I have to watch the movie!

Anyhoo, I decided to put Hell's Angels on hold, I had a sudden urge for some Fiction, which I don't usually read tbh. But I feel like I'm missing out on some classic literature, so I've started with The Great Gatsby, which I have to say is wonderful so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement