Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

An unconsidered people. The Irish in London. By Catherine Dunne. Just arrived in post today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've just bought 2 for my holliers.

When All Is Said....and How to Fail:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

An unconsidered people. The Irish in London. By Catherine Dunne. Just arrived in post today.

I read this some years back and thoroughly enjoyed it, a very interesting insight of how life was for any Irish who left for London in the 50s\60s.

At the moment I am reading Eric by Terry Pratchett. I'm enjoying it so far, haven't read any of his in a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    I read this some years back and thoroughly enjoyed it, a very interesting insight of how life was for any Irish who left for London in the 50s\60s.

At the moment I am reading Eric by Terry Pratchett. I'm enjoying it so far, haven't read any of his in a while now.

Reason I ordered it was because 3 different people asked if I had written it based on a few items I wrote about the Irish still living in London. Should be interesting read.

Was just today gifted a book I never hear of called "The irrational ape" so I will start into that when I get a moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

anewme wrote: »
    I've just bought 2 for my holliers.

When All Is Said....and How to Fail:

I loved and adored when all is said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

The Boy who Followed his Father into Auschwitz - just started it. Really liked the 'The Tattowist of Auschwitz' so got this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Just finished "Vietnam. An Epic Tragedy" by Max Hastings and found it excellent. Now starting on "Waterloo: Four Days that Changed Europe's Destiny" by Tim Clayton.

(Also still working through Chandler's "Campaigns of Napoleon" - it's 1814 and the first abdication is fast approaching...)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Have three books on the go at the moment - Madame Politician by Martina Fitzgerald which I got last Christmas, The Body by Bill Bryson which I got this Christmas and re-reading Stephen King's Dr. Sleep for a bit of lighter entertainment between all the non-fiction. After that will be The Truth About Fat by Anthony Warner, a.k.a. the Angry Chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Thargor wrote: »
    Wow how have I never heard of this? Sounds right up my alley thanks. Just got it for £2.50 on Amazon aswell.

Enjoy.

It really nails the south Dublin “private” school thing. If you went to one, as I did, you’ll laugh along with it, if you didn’t then you’ll laugh along at it.

I, now, have to reconsider some of the things I thought unique to my schooling “experience” after reading it.

Since my mother has always been proud to tell anyone who’ll listen about where I went to school, or whom I was in school with, I decided to channel my inner “Doc”, the protagonist of the book, and loaned her my copy.

I told her it’s an incredibly accurate depiction of that whole school “thing”. I’m guessing she hasn’t started yet as I’ve not received any angry phone calls.

Still haven’t started a new book, just too blown away.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Burned by Sam McBride, it's a really detailed account of the cash for ash scandal.
    It's a really good read if a tad dry....Christ what a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Joe Schmidts book, sadly not as good as I was hoping for ;(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just starting out on The Famished Road by Ben Okri.

Looks like it will be a very good read! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maj206

i'm reading Cilkas journey, its the next book after the tattooist of Auschwitz , very good read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I was very excited to read Ruth Jones' novel Never Greener, as I'm a big Gavin & Stacey fan. I had to give up after a couple of chapters. It's chick lit, and not even good or funny chick lit. Disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just finished Constellations by Sinead Glesson.

It was good but I thought Emilie Pines Notes to Self was better.

I've had enough of the non fiction/autobiographical books for a while so next up is The Dutch House by Ann Pattchet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Under the Hawthorn tree is still one of my all time favourite books.

I loved it as a child. Marita Conlon McKenna writes great child book.

She is releasing her first book for adults + it will be based on the famine so I'll give it a read. Hope I'm not disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Blue Moon the new Jack Reacher book by Lee Child

A bit formulaic...but a great formula all the same

The institute Stephen King...pretty excellent so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

The Dead Zone by Stephen King. I thought I'd read all of Kings older books until I started this one. Good if a little bit slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

gmisk wrote: »
    The institute Stephen King...pretty excellent so far

The Institute is fantastic, easily the best modern King book.

The Institute is fantastic, easily the best modern King book.
    Brilliant thanks!
    I am only about 1/4 of the way in but it's great really easy read

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Just finished Keeping The Dead by Tess Gerristen.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright. It's my first time reading her and I think it's awful so far. I will have to read The Gathering straight after as I'm confused by how poor this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright. It's my first time reading her and I think it's awful so far. I will have to read The Gathering straight after as I'm confused by how poor this is.

I wouldn’t bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Permanent Record - Edward Snowden.
    Surprisingly well written. The personal history and anecdotes, particularly in the beginning and midddle of the book, are excellent. The moralising about the right to privacy in the last act goes from cogent to long winded at times. I wouldn't have minded more about his life in Moscow, as the book basically ends its narrative with him arriving there. Snowden's too diplomatic and good natured to throw shade at any other personalities either. Some bitchy stuff about Assange, or maybe Oliver Stone, could have been fun. On the whole very, very good though, would certainly recommend.

Churchill - Andrew Roberts
    Detailed, exciting and absorbing. Can't fault this so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Reading "Manhunters" by Colin Wilson

It's factual book, criminal profilers and their search for the world's most wanted serial killers

Stopped and started it twice but gonna finish it by tomorrow. If you like true crime then it is an interesting book

After this will start "Voices from Stalingrad" will read this in memory of my father (RIP)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Re-reading "True Compass" by Sen Edward Kennedy, it's a decent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Reading the Cider House Rules, absolutely loving it. I seem to be drifting away from sci-fi and fantasy to American classics more and more, must be getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Thargor wrote: »
    Reading the Cider House Rules, absolutely loving it. I seem to be drifting away from sci-fi and fantasy to American classics more and more, must be getting old.

It took me 7 years to read it :pac: Bought the book in 2007 and finished it in 2014. I started it in 2007 and got half way through. I started a masters and moved abroad when I was reading it and it fell by the wayside. I'm really glad I started it again in 2014...and finished it. It's a great read. I'm very fond of the movie too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement