Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Player One by Douglas Coupland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Don't do it!!! I worked in a cinema in the late 90's and got free passes to all the movies, in the two years or so I worked there I would have seen pretty much every movie; the one and only movie I walked out of was Fear and Loathing. It was utterly weird, crazy ****. I think you would have to be on something to enjoy it!

I would have said that was one of the best movies released in the last twenty years (and I wasn't on anything any time I watched it)

The book is even better. To use a cliche, the book was impossible to put down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

But I feel like I'm missing out on some classic literature, so I've started with The Great Gatsby, which I have to say is wonderful so far.

Finished this, wonderfully written book!

Next up, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Started 'Great Expectations' today. Last few were '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' (which, before reading, I assumed was 20,000 leagues downwards), 'Grimm's Fairy Tales', and a re-re-re-read of 'The Hobbit'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Just started reading "The Sister's Brother's" by Patrick Dewitt, quite an interesting read, its somethinh that you could see the Coen Brothers make into a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Just started reading "The Sisters Brother's" by Patrick Dewitt, quite an interesting read, its something that you could see the Coen Brothers make into a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

'My Horizontal Life - a collection of one night stands'

Chelsea Handler

great fun, you will look differently at the small person(careful now) on her show after this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

the wolf by david gemmel

I'm over halfway through Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and I must say, it's positively, absolutely crap.

I can't believed I've seen this book recommended so much, it's pure drivel.

• Advertisement

I'm over halfway through Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and I must say, it's positively, absolutely crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm not liking all this hatred for Catch 22, which in my eyes is in the top 10 of all time.
    Maybe some people just don't have a sense of humour ;)

One of my favourite books. It does have some tedious bits in it which may put people off but, it truly is a jem of a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I attempted to read it about a month ago, TBH i liked the first 30 or so pages and then half way through lost interest and skim read the rest of it. Didnt enjoy it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Bloodyfckin' Atlas Shrugged, because I sneered down Ayn Rand in the politics forum a few weeks back, and I want to go back to the argument having actually finished it. It's torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I'm reading Die Trying by Lee Child. I finished his first novel The Killing Floor. Jack Reacher is a great character. Halfway through this book as well, and have 14 more Jack Reacher books lined up on my Kindle. Happy days.

Started Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, wonderful, absolutely wonderful. It's a short book which I'm tempted to get through tonight but I've decided to save it for the bus tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Started Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, wonderful, absolutely wonderful. It's a short book which I'm tempted to get through tonight but I've decided to save it for the bus tomorrow.

Really good book! Absolutely loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Recent reads I liked

Big Bang -Simon Singh, a history of the big bang theory - Excellent, very interesting read.

Life of Pi, by cant remember, boy shipwrecked with Bengal tiger for company, short bit excellent book, heart warming and funny story

All hell let loose - Max Hastings, second world war history, Love Max Hastings books, Great historian but great focus on the human stories as well as the bigger political picture

Bad Science - Ben goldacre - Critique of poor science from your one off the channel 4 shows 'you are what you eat' to homeopathy to big pharma, very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jellygems

girl with the dragon tattoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Just finished Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. Very, very good, well written, great attention grabber. Stayed up way too late last night finishing it!!

The last three books I've read have been written by female authors, so for a change of scene I'm going to go with a male author! Going to start The Moment by Douglas Kennedy tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Dafuq is this doing in AH...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Akarinn wrote: »

We AH'ers are a very intellectual lot donchaknow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

just finished the truth by peter james its the 2nd book of his i read cant wait to catch up and read his other novels i couldnt put the last 2 down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Has anyone read George Harrison's autobiography? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Has anyone read the book The Hunger Games?I'm looking to find out if it's worth it before I commit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I loved the idea behind Brave New World. But it definitely flagged after the first few chapters and descends into the wild imagination you'd expect of a 10 year-old's essay.

I re-read like a maniac. Currently re-reading my favourite book ever, The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory for probably the 40th time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Just started An Outcast of the Islands by Joseph Conrad. I love his writing style, especially his use of irony, and I've read almost all of his books.

I'm enjoying it so far, but a part of me feels like tearing through it as I'm reading it between part one and part two of A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin.

I toyed with just getting straight into part two after finishing part one, but I'm trying to stretch the Song of Ice and Fire experience by reading something different between each book/part of a book in the series, so I won't have to wait quite so long for the yet-to-be-released books. :P
    Akarinn wrote: »

What's wrong with it being here?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭me m

I got that steve jobs biography for xmas of someone. Read a bit of it and it started to bore the arse off me. Must get back to it. should get better

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Beesand

Just finished A Day in May by Catherine Alliott. It was good quality light reading, one of her better books.

About to start The Lucifer Club by Mark Gatiss (Mycroft Holmes and writer/creator on BBC Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who). Super excited about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement