Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

I've just started 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami... Good so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Has anyone read the book The Hunger Games?I'm looking to find out if it's worth it before I commit!

Have read all three and they are brilliant. Must read especially before the movie comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Just started A Storm of Swords, book 3 in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Feck Sky Atlantic anyway for showing Game of Thrones and bringing this series onto my radar. It's playing havoc with all the other stuff I want to read!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

ollaetta wrote: »

Feck Sky Atlantic anyway for showing Game of Thrones and bringing this series onto my radar. It's playing havoc with all the other stuff I want to read!!

Yeah, you'll just keep going until...

And we still have to wait for the 6th bloody book! It's going to drive you insane until I believe July this year when it's out! Great books though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

I've tried reading that twice. Can't seem to get into it and I am a huge King fan.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I believe July this year when it's out!
    Really? Where'd you hear this? I was expecting a couple of years wait tbh considering previous gaps :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Really? Where'd you hear this? I was expecting a couple of years wait tbh considering previous gaps :p

I will see if I can find the link, but I read the article at Christmas and it just seemed like I'd have sooooo long to have to wait. I believe he just continued writing after the last one. The article also said it may go to 8 books, but that there'd more than likely be at least 7.

I'll definitely try and find that link for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

ollaetta wrote: »

Have been reading the Song of Ice and Fire books myself for a while now, am on A Dance With Dragons (fifth book) now; once I finish this, it will be a painful few years wait for the last two books to be finished.

Have to say, there aren't many books I've read before with the complexity and depth of character of these; read the Dune books years ago, which I think are the only ones which came close.
    RachaelVO wrote:
    And we still have to wait for the 6th bloody book! It's going to drive you insane until I believe July this year when it's out! Great books though!
    Ah please god, that would be nice.

(excuse double post)
    py2006 wrote: »
    I've tried reading that twice. Can't seem to get into it and I am a huge King fan.
    Get the second book along with that, and read both, the first one is short and doesn't do it full justice (second kicks off quite a bit); a long time ago since I read The Dark Tower books, but I thought they were quite good.

• Advertisement

(excuse double post)

Get the second book along with that, and read both, the first one is short and doesn't do it full justice (second kicks off quite a bit); a long time ago since I read The Dark Tower books, but I thought they were quite good.

I totally agree, I couldn't put them down! Read the first 3 years before 4 (which I felt was the poorest, just printed as a bit of a stop gap). The Wolves of the Calla was by far my favourite of them all!

Great series, thoroughly enjoyed them!

Ya the fourth one was quite weak all right, but the rest of it is great reading :) A long time since I last read them now, must give them another go.

Just reading up on it there, it seems there is a new just-released Dark Tower book, set between the fourth and fifth:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower:_The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole

Interesting (well, there's the excuse for me to read them all again :)).

Ya the fourth one was quite weak all right, but the rest of it is great reading :) A long time since I last read them now, must give them another go.

Just reading up on it there, it seems there is a new just-released Dark Tower book, set between the fourth and fifth:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower:_The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole

Interesting (well, there's the excuse for me to read them all again :)).

Another one for the list, I've gotten so many ideas from this thread, I'm eventually going to have to unsubscribe (not just yet though), my wish list just keeps getting longer, gonna cost me a fortune (I don't believe in e-readers or libraries). I'm gonna be able to build a fecking house with them all soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

On paper: Stark Raving Rulers by Sean Moncrieff, an exposé of the antics of twenty despots of the 21st century, including the Sultan of Brunei, Castro, Khameini, Gadaffi and other rascals of note. Early days yet but it's looking good and instructive.

On my Kindle: Arguably, a recent collection of essays on a wide variety of subjects by the late Christopher Hitchens. Frequently stimulating, sometimes almost uproariously funny and never less than impressive. The author's facility with the English language, knack for debate and overall joie de vivre make for a highly satisfying read. This is a pretty huge book, with over 140 essays all told.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Well then we need to recommend a good book that will give some sort of enrichment to your life

1. Songs of Fire and Ice (Game of thrones etc; )
    2. The Dark Tower series Stephen King
    3. One flew over the cuckoos nest (best fiction read EVER)
    4. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin (great classic read)
    5. Jurrasic Park - Michael Crichten (so brilliant, and SOOOOOO much better than the book

Now it's up to the other literafiles (or pulp fiction fans like myself) to recommend some titles

:):):):):):):):):)

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

Finished off both of these today, Bryson's book was very good and extremely funny at times, but the second half wasn't as good as the first.

Bryson is one of my most favorite authors of all times! If you liked 'Walk in the woods', try his 'Down Under' - It's proper ROFL funny, and very unique view of Australia. So is most of his books really, I think I have read pretty much all of them. His autobiographical 'Thunder bolt kid' is also very good. Gives you a good sense of America of 70s and 80s. And you will get to know Katz a lot better there - the man is a legend! :D
    dirtyden wrote: »
    Recent reads I liked

Big Bang -Simon Singh, a history of the big bang theory - Excellent, very interesting read.

Thanks, will add to me 'to-read' list. I have massive respect for Simon Singh after reading Fermats Last Theorem. One of the best 'popular science' book I have read.

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I just finished reading 'Shantaram'. All I can say is WOW, just stunned. What an amazing read! Really really enjoyed it. It connects with me in many ways than it would for most people here, but even without it, it was an exceptional read - I can't get it out of my head now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Currently reading "The Man in the High Tower" by Philip K Dick. Haven't read it in years.

I love a bit of Dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Jeffrey Eugenides - The Marriage Plot.

Good read, I'm more than halfway through at this stage. Lots of references to semiotics and post-structuralism which I hadn't heard since college.

I find the lead character Madeline a bit whiny, but love the others.

It's not as good as his Middlesex, which was just terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Currently reading "The Man in the High Tower" by Philip K Dick. Haven't read it in years.

I love a bit of Dick.

I've read that and 'VALIS'. My impression is that he's great with imagininative concepts, but poor with actual writing (a typical problem with Sci-fi novelists)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I love a bit of Dick.
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I've read that and 'VALIS'. My impression is that he's great with imagininative concepts, but poor with actual writing (a typical problem with Sci-fi novels)

Would agree with both, only read "The Man in The High Castle" recently.

I did enjoy "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said" more, also read recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I've read that and 'VALIS'. My impression is that he's great with imagininative concepts, but poor with actual writing (a typical problem with Sci-fi novelists)

What of the big holes in his work is indeed the standard of writing. One of the reasons for this is the fact that he was endlessly getting screwed out of his royalties by publishes, so tended to rush books out in order to get the advances to pay his bills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Started reading Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.

I'm not sure I'm going to finish it tbh, reading some of the dialect Twain uses is worse than reading txt spk!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I'm not sure I'm going to finish it tbh, reading some of the dialect Twain uses is worse than reading txt spk!

The adventures of tom Sawyer was the first book I ever read (age 12 ) and I loved it, huck Finn wasn't as good a read as tom Sawyer. that was 20 years ago. I have them on my e-reader. Would read tom Sawyer again but not huckleberry Finn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just started and finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in one sitting, simply brilliant!!
    "But the plans were on display . . ."
    "On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
    "That's the display department."
    "With a torch."
    "Ah, well the lights had probably gone."
    "So had the stairs."
    "But look, you found the notice, didn't you?"
    "Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

I'm reading The Old Curiosity Shop by Dickens.

I've only read Oliver Twist before this so I figured this was a good one to start with - his later works can be quite tough if you aren't well acquainted - or so I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The hunger games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I am reading Speed Dating With The Dead on my Kindle. It was a free download from Amazon, but it's a fair book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

The vernacular is the best thing about that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I just received the first four volumes of A song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin. I've not watched the TV series though enough of the people whose opinion I respect have recommended it so that's reason enough for me to give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Just finished Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, an excellent read anybody looking for a tragic, shocking and funny book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement