Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Just finished reading The Hunger Games, just started on Catching Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Endless Nameless

women by charles bukowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Rob67 wrote: »
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe, great read on the early history of manned space-flight and those who had 'The Right Stuff' - Chuck Yeager, Neil Armstrong and Alan Shepard etc...
    It's usally the book that's better but the movie of the same name is great to .

I'm reading Joe Jordans ( Leeds Utd and Scotland ) autobiography at the moement .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Re-reading Notes from a Big Country by Bill Bryson

Funny stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Starting Company of Liars by Karen Maitland. The cover and the idea of a medieval setting with a bit of murder mystery, along with the plague pissing about, it sold me. Staff in the shop seemed to rave about it too. Hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

The Myths, Legends, and Lore of Ireland: 101 Things You Didn't Know about the Emerald Isle (link)

Probably a tad bit too simplified, but still pretty decent and helps understand and relate various incidents in the history of the nation and their continuing impact in the society, in a concise / short-introduction sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Just finished three books.

Slash's Autobiography

Des Bishop - My Dad was Nearly James Bond

Eric Clapton's autobiography

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

kopfan77 wrote: »
    Just finished reading Stephen Kings "The Stand".......really really great read

I agree, best book I've picked up in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

The retribution, it's ok but nothing spectacular 2.5 out of 5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Edward Bunker - Mr Blue.

Very hard to put down, an excellent read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk
    Hit Man by Bret Hart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I'm guessing I'm not the only person here who's blasting through A Clash Of Kings in order to get it done before April 1st! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest after seeing many mentions on this thread. Didn't find it particularly funny (as in laughing out loud) but a great read for other reasons. Thanks to all who recommended it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

nearly finished wizard and glass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Gonna start on Salem's Lot tonight, I've never actually read anything by Stephen King! :eek: Hopefully this will be a good intro before tackling the likes of IT/The Stand etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

In the middle of Bill Bryson - At home, very readable, lots of interesting facts/trivia etc., some sweeping generalisations as well! but overall a relaxing, entertaining read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Ireland's Arctic Siege. About the great snow storm of 1947. Political incompetence and craven avaricious elites are not a new phenomenon in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

About three quarters through Catch 22. What a load of boring ****e, with a hint of stupid slapstick here and there. Not gonna even bother finishing it.

Just like Catcher in the Rye. Boring drivel that everyone says they like, just so they can sound intelligent and of good taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Gonna start on Salem's Lot tonight, I've never actually read anything by Stephen King! :eek: Hopefully this will be a good intro before tackling the likes of IT/The Stand etc...

Great book! I always planned on reading more King but this one I've already and it's really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

"Timequake" by Kurt Vonnegut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I highly recommend Pet Semetary by King. I think it's his best book by a mile.

I'm reading Light in August by William Faulkner for college at the moment. Challenging, but a great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

About three quarters through Catch 22. What a load of boring ****e, with a hint of stupid slapstick here and there. Not gonna even bother finishing it.

Just like Catcher in the Rye. Boring drivel that everyone says they like, just so they can sound intelligent and of good taste.

Nonsense.
    Just becuase you don't appreciate something doesn't mean others just pretend to like it. I'm of the opinion that Catcher is an excellent book, incredibly well written, most people I've talked to hate this book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

People think Catcher in the Rye is **** because Holden Caulfield is just such an awful person and he reminds many of what idiots we can be as teenagers.

Younger people think Catcher in the Rye is great, because Holden Caulfield understands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy at the moment.

Keeping track of all the names and spy terms is a chore but it's a decent read so far

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Currently ready Before I Go To Sleep by S.J Watson - really liking it so far but haven't quite found the time to really get into it... Maybe over the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Reading The Mahon Tribunal, very loosely based on a true story about how some buffoon got elected head of state off the back of some seriously corrupt dealings in a supposed democracy in modern day, western Europe. The politicians are in cahoots with the police and judges, in which the former ridiculously appoint the latter. As such, it's entirely unbelievable, with the account descending further into farce when the main character gets away with everything in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The Male Brain by Louann Brizendine.. An essential owner's manual for every man and a cheat sheet / attempt at undermining for every woman! ..is what it says and its very funny and readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shut up and shot by Anthony Artis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

the killer angels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭moonfish

Reading a micheal connolly book at mo its ok.best book I ever read was the forgotten soldier by some fu calles guy sager every One i loaned it to were mad about it a great read

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement