Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Reading 'Tis by Frank McCourt. Good read but it's taking me a while to get through it since I only read sporadically in my spare time.. So it's hard to get back into when you only read every 2 or 3 weeks.

I like Frank McCourt's books. Angela's Ashes is a bit depressing but I really loved Teacher Man. Quite witty and entertaining to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 b2dadizzle

Reading Friday Night Lights at the moment. Finding it a very easy read, and a great book.
    Next on my list is Calcio, a History of Italian Football, and Born to Run.
    Heading to Italy for a week in June, and bring the Count of Monte Cristo with me. Really looking forward to reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Reading Haughey’s 40 Years of Controversy by T Ryle Dwyer.

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 KillerToaster

Just finished 'Lucky You' by Carl Hiaasen and am starting 'Slaughterhouse 5' by Kurt Vonnegut.

I enjoyed the Hiaasen book but I think I preferred he later novel 'Skinny Dip'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Finished Family Portrait by Masterton and now undecided between 'Tengu' also by Graham Masterton or 'Game of Thrones' by Martin.

Btw I highly recommend Family Portrait to fans of horror. Really interesting concept and a real page turner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

The Help, seen the film and loved it. Only started the book, but so far so good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just finished Friday Night Lights. I thought it was an absolutely superb read. Really paints a clear picture of the almost insane fascination middle America has on sports. In fact, being a budding sports journalist, it has inspired me to attempt a similiar style book in the future, except focusing on the importance of the GAA in rural Ireland.

Have Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks to start next. I've heard good things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I've read, Fever, Lies and plague in the last couple of days, starting fear tonight....

Natasha_95 wrote: »
    The Help, seen the film and loved it. Only started the book, but so far so good! :D

I only read 100 pages 50 of which i quite enjoyed i didnt like it after that, i have no intention of ever seeing the film....

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

I've read, Fever, Lies and plague in the last couple of days, starting fear tonight....

Is that from the 'gone' series? I read them, like them a lot.

To those reading a portrait of an artist, i feel sorry for you. It's grand until chapter 3 but then it gets really hard to read.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Finished this yesterday, after reading for longer in one day than I have for any other book! Must have been a good 6 or 7 hours in total.

Now I'm going to start on The Stand. :D

I finally finished this, what a marathon! What I didn't realise was that I was reading an extended and updated version, around 400 added pages to the original edition, over 1400 pages in all. There was certainly a point around the middle that I could almost pick out which pages had been added, as I found them to be completely pointless and it turned into a struggle, but not far after the half way point everything seemed to fall back into place! A really great read overall, and now to watch the 1994 mini-series! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 briantannam

Pg Wodehouse, The World of Mr Mulliner....laugh out loud stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Pg Wodehouse, The World of Mr Mulliner....laugh out loud stuff.
    Wodehouse is great. Always so funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

Before I go to Sleep, SJ Watson. Just finished. Stunning read, very atmospheric & frightening -top notch for a first time author, original plot too. Definitely recommend.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Picked up "The Lost Continent" by Bill Bryson today. Never read anything by him before so hope it lives up to the hype.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭ronano

clarke giffords body, first fiction in long time that's managed to suck me in

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

'The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing' - Anthony Ryder

Rereading 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' - Nietzsche

“I say unto you: one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.”

“Become who you are!”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Just started Atonement for postmodernism in college, its nice.

Reading 'The Haunting of Hill House' by Shirley Jackson for the buzz, and I also just got the Alan Partridge biography audio form. 7 hours reading from the man himself yippee :D

Is that from the 'gone' series? I read them, like them a lot.

To those reading a portrait of an artist, i feel sorry for you. It's grand until chapter 3 but then it gets really hard to read.
    Yep the gone series, love the books... Think they would make a good tv series... Better than lord of the flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Reading 'The Haunting of Hill House' by Shirley Jackson for the buzz, and I also just got the Alan Partridge biography audio form. 7 hours reading from the man himself yippee :D

That's a great book, and if you haven't seen it I recommend the film adaptation from the sixties, The Haunting, one of the best horror films of all time, and different from the book in a few ways.

But avoid the nineties version with Liam Neeson and Catherine Zeta-Jones!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Picked up "The Lost Continent" by Bill Bryson today. Never read anything by him before so hope it lives up to the hype.

It's dated quite a bit to be honest. It is still an enjoyable read and you can definately relate to it but it's very much a book of the 1980's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Rereading Lila Robert M Pirsig

Its by the same author that gave us Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.
    It similar except this time the journey is on a boat and instead of with his son Chris (who you learn was murdered in real life) its with a woman called Lila, I get the impression as with his previous literary outing it's a ghost story. But the author is both the ghost and the haunted. Its beautifully written. It makes you pause to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Slattsy wrote: »
    The Three Musketeers - Dumas
    Good read. And then there're two more books in the series
    Slattsy wrote: »
    Cervantes - Quixote
    Read the 1st part twice. It's supposed to be funny but I didn't get it...
    Briony is so annoying. Needs a slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Carl Sagan - Contact. Listening to it as an Audiobook.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Undercover Muslim: A Journey into Yemen written by Theo Padnos

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell its amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Playing for pizza by John Grisham

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

loving this thread...

Reading books for research reasons right now so can't really recommend them.

Looking forward to reading for pleasure and no pressure in a few weeks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Also reading books for research.

Ghost wars by Steve Coll
    The secret history of the world by Jonathan Black
    The Messianic Legacy - various authors.
    Mafia (Inside the darkest heart) by AGD Maran
    Egyptian Dawn by Robert Temple

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement