Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

The Last Girl by Jane Casey and One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Read it a few weeks back. Absolutely fantastic book, one of the best from 2012 so far.

I'm reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb at the moment, its fairly slow to start off but addictive all the same.

Ya I was impressed. Finished it pretty quickly too. Good trilogy you're starting, her best to be honest.

Reading Letters to a Young Contrarian - The Hitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm reading the Pleasures of the Damned, by Charles Bukowski, it's a book of poetry and I'd highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Shryke wrote: »
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. His first novel and it's really good so far. I'm about half way through and bought it today, I just put it down for a bit there.
    It's all about the 1980s and video games/general nerdage, while set in the future and mostly taking place in a kind of virtual reality that allows for some really cool stuff to happen.
    The front cover of the book has it being called Willy Wonka meets the Matrix, which I don't think is too apt but does give not a bad impression.
    It definitely owes a bit to Snow Crash and the like.

I thought Ready Player One was brilliant. Its definitely a nostalgic book. I'd reccomend it to anyone. The author actually put an online competition similar ot the gates in the book. The prize was only a replicat of the back to the future car though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Brian Keenans, I'll tell me ma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Barna77 wrote: »
    Same here, yeah they are big books but you so fast to read. I'm about 300 pages on and started it a few days ago.

Started a few weeks ago and now I'm nearly finished A dance with dragons. Brilliant books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Palytoxin wrote: »
    Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson, started it a few times then never got back to it, started again now.

Ive tried to read this a couple of times.....hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Just bought Flashback by Dan Simmons and am expecting (and hoping )that it's as good as his other novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Read it a few weeks back. Absolutely fantastic book, one of the best from 2012 so far.

I'm reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb at the moment, its fairly slow to start off but addictive all the same.

The assasin series is quite good but she keeps writing the same story with different characters/worlds but the assasins apprentice is definitely one of my favourite series

I'm amking my way through the terra incognito series atm

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

the hypnotist by Lars Kepler
    relly good thriller, well written similar to other scandinavian crime thrillers but I enjoy that genre. Am waiting for the price to come down on his new book before i buy it but am looking forward to getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Reading Money by Martin Aims. Early days but it is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens.

Just picked it up earlier, cant wait to get stuck in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If anyone is after a good science book I would reccomend the epigentics revolution by nessa carey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Slattsy wrote: »

Started it last year... and gave up. Dickens is not for me, got sick of him in college

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Looking forward to reading JK Rowling's new book The Casual Vacancy..its out pretty soon i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The World of Jeeves by PG Wodehouse.

Rereading the dashed rummy thing...bit of a corker, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Young and Kent: International Relations since 1945 A Global History

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yes Man by Danny Wallace. He seems like a twat to be honest. The humour is a bit Hugh Grant-ish for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama. I bought it in 2008 during the hype of the last US election and gave up on it after a few pages. 2012 has been great for reading books I gave up on. I want to get through the books I already own before I buy any new ones. Reading Obama's book at this point in time coming up to a new US election has been very interesting. It's interesting to see what he has achieved and what he has not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Born To Perform: Gerard Hartmann
    Worth a read imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

At this moment I'm reading Dr Zhivago and absolutely loving it .... can't believe I never got around to reading it years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Slattsy wrote: »

Started it last year... and gave up. Dickens is not for me, got sick of him in college

Barna, I think I'm with you on this one. I had a couple of books ready to read and had a stab at Two Cities. I just didn't have the head on me to deal with it that day so I went with My Booky Wook by Russell Brand :pac:. I will get back to it as I like to balance my books by alternating light/entertaining and then 'proper' stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm just after starting Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. I loved the film so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

A Storm of Swords. Steel and Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Earth Abides

11/22/63 by Stephen King.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

AllWasWell wrote: »
    Looking forward to reading JK Rowling's new book The Casual Vacancy..its out pretty soon i think
    September 27th. I'd say I'm more curious about it, than actually looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I just finished Game of Thrones (the first book in the series). Dying to read the next one, it was fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Just finished A feast for crows and will be starting A dance with dragons later this evening:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

What a shame to get sick of Dickens.....these things happen but what a pity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement