Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just finishing Homicide A Year On the Streets

A great read telling the story of a year with Baltimore detectives in the 'rust belt' of America. A different world from where I live anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Just finished 'the bolter' by Frances Osborne. Thoroughly enjoyed it! It's the true story of a British aristocrat in the early 19th century who kept leaving her husbands. Written by her great granddaughter, she's a fascinating character, very flawed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Piper101 wrote: »
    Just finished 'the bolter' by Frances Osborne. Thoroughly enjoyed it! It's the true story of a British aristocrat in the early 19th century who kept leaving her husbands. Written by her great granddaughter, she's a fascinating character, very flawed

I loved that book .... she was one feisty lady :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Under The Ivy - Graeme Thomson (about Kate Bush)
    http://www.amazon.com/Kate-Bush-Under-Graeme-Thompson/dp/1847729304

I'm about half way through it and so far it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭smurfette2212

Almost finished Herman Koch's The Dinner ... really loving it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

About three quarters way through Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King, was in a short stories mood following Lovecraft. Very strong collection of tales, only 1 or 2 I didn't enjoy.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Atonement. It's ok but I read Disgrace on Monday which was much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I know she has been around for a while but I read Martina Cole's "The Graft" a week ago(my friend gave it to me as I had never read any of her books). Great read, so I am now reading "The Runaway" by her. Pretty good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gooner111

Just finished Bram Stoker's Dracula. Wasn't bad but ending seem rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes - absolutely brilliant, I laughed and I cried. A book I will definitely read again.

The Last Letter From Your Lover by Jojo Moyes - very disappointing, despite the rave reviews on Amazon.

Ma, I'm Getting Myself A New Mammy by Martha Long - very touching true story, a bit difficult to read in parts. A few laugh out loud moments and some tears to be shed too.

About to start A Kind of Loving by Stan Barstow

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

It's a great book that puts QM into easy bite-size chunks without all that highfalutin jargon and formulae. I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Podgers

the road less travelled and beyond by Dr. M. Scott Peck

not long into it but interesting so far if your into that sort of thing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Less-Travelled-Beyond-Uncertainty/dp/0712670769

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MissesMe

State of wonder by Ann Patchett. Not a great book to be honest. Would not recommend it.

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes is up next so hopefully it will be a more interesting read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Real people, real past lives. David Wells. V. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I started reading The Dublin And Monaghan Bombings last night by Joe Tiernan. Interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Halfway through Unwanted by Kristina Ohlsson. A really good read in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

That Neutral Island: A Cultural History of Ireland During the Second World War by Clair Wills. Interesting so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Imaginary Healing, Shamanism in modern medicine.

Its interesting but not recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

A Storm of Swords book 2.

George RR Martin.

(Game Of Thrones series 3-4)

Quality .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Christopher Hitchens, Mortality. A brilliant collection of essays written by Hitchens during his 'year of living dyingly'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

The Black Dahlia, by James Ellroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jessabell88

Has anyone read elegant universe by brian greene? the concept is about string theory but dont know what it would be like to read ie:writing style

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

gsxr1 wrote: »
    A Storm of Swords book 2.

George RR Martin.

(Game Of Thrones series 3-4)

Quality .
    DAMN THOSE PESKY LANISTERS!!!

they are unreal books. finished them all now and have serious void in my reading life waiting for the next one. don't think he's in any rush to write it either.

currently reading Gone by Michael Grant, only started it but can't get away from the fact its not one of the game of thrones books :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

they are unreal books. finished them all now and have serious void in my reading life waiting for the next one. don't think he's in any rush to write it either.

currently reading Gone by Michael Grant, only started it but can't get away from the fact its not one of the game of thrones books :-(

I am enjoying the series so much I am resisting reading those books.

The best tele in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Colmustard wrote: »

I am enjoying the series so much I am resisting reading those books.

The best tele in years.
    ya the first tv series got me into it. saw the first episode way after it was on tv and went and acquired ;-) the first series straight away. then started reading the books. found that having watched the series made putting faces and remembering each character way easier cause it is one seriously complex story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

I have also leaped onto the Game of Thrones bandwagon and let me tell you, it's a damn fine wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Homage To Catalonia, by George Orwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

RADIUS wrote: »
    I have also leaped onto the Game of Thrones bandwagon and let me tell you, it's a damn fine wagon.

I read the first 20 pages or so and just couldn't get into it! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Titus Andronicus, Shakespears most violent play!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I am almost finished "Rebel" by Jack Whyte. There are three books, the next one is called "Renegade". The trilogy is known as "The Bravehearts Chronicals" or "The Guardian Chronicles". I would recommend this book as I found it very interesting.

I recently finished a series which is 6 books long, and I don't think it's finished yet, called the "The Saxon Stories. The series is about Alfred the Great and the Danish invasion of England, before it was known as England. The author is Bernard Cornwell and I must say, what an amazing job he has done with this series. I simply could not put this book down. I will hope to forget a lot of this book within the next year so I can really enjoy it again. Honestly the best 60 euro I have ever spent.

I am also reading Game of Thrones, which is awesome. Girlfriend has finished the series and said it's absolutely amazing.

I stumbled upon this little website which I thought was pretty cool. I think I will purchase some of the books listed here.

http://www.sfsignal.com/interactive/npr100.htm?fb_action_ids=4503746192783&fb_action_types=stumbleupon%3Adiscover&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement