Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Steve Jobs Biography by Walter Isacson
    Great read so far, bit confusing with all the different names but very good story and well written book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Dorian by Will Self (used to be on Bob and Vic's Shooting Stars for a while). His writing is just wonderful. The book is an modern adaptation of The Picture of Dorian Grey and I'm really enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

^I read Self's My Idea of Fun a couple of years ago now, and i liked it, must read more of his stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Colmustard wrote: »
    I am enjoying the series so much I am resisting reading those books.

The best tele in years.

I am not a reader. I only started reading after watchin the first series on TV .

Now I have read 3 big books in a year. Mile stone for a previous non reader.

The TV version is great but leaves out so much detail. Im really glad I picked up the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Finished A song of ice and fire last week then reak the lost world ( sequel to Jurassic Park) and now I've started the Aubrey/Maturin books. The first few were made into the film Master and Commander with Russel Crowe. Fairly hard to get into to be honest, has anyone read them? Are they worth the effort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I'm currently reading 'Michael O'Leary: A Life in Full flight'. While I wish it gave a bit more information on the man himself it's pretty interesting learning about the nature of the airline business.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Just finished A Storm of Swords 1 and 2, and starting a Feast for Crows:
    so disappointed to learn that Daenerys, Jon and Tyrion are absent from it :( They're my three favourites, thank god i have Arya to read!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Re-reading The Colour of Magic, enjoying it as much as I did the first time

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Dracula, by Bram Stoker. Picked it up in Easons for only 2.85, so far I'm loving it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Dracula, by Bram Stoker. Picked it up in Easons for only 2.85, so far I'm loving it! :D
    Twilight and all the other chick lit vampires should look at it and cry. Respect! Great book indeed

And i've needed all my willpower not to look at the Game of Thrones spoiler :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Picked up "Arguably" by Christopher Hitchens yesterday. Its a collection of his articles, essays and other bits and pieces.

I read a review of his latest book "Mortality" in one of the weekend papers and the review mentioned also mentioned "Arguably". I spotted it on offer yesterday so decided to pick it up.

All I can say is WOW!

Like a lot of people, I didn't pay much attention to Christopher Hitchens before he died. I find I didn't agree with a lot of what he had to say and had always imagined him to be a bit of git! But after reading a few of the articles in this book, my opinion of him has changed completely. He really was a gifted writer and it reads like he's actually sitting there next to you telling his particular story or explaining his views. I'm starting to feel a bit upset that we will never see or hear another word from this man :(

Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm a few chapters into Catch-22. So much going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Mars Bar wrote: »

That's one of those books I read when I was 15 and have gone back to read again every so often. It's up there with the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I started The Burning by Jane Casey yesterday. The author is from Dublin and she writes crime. She's released three books so far and this is her second book. I loved the first one and so far I'm liking the second. I'm already 200 pages into the story.

Love this writer, I was really looking forward to her 4th book, but it was not as impressive as the rest but don't let that put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I recently finished a series which is 6 books long, and I don't think it's finished yet, called the "The Saxon Stories. The series is about Alfred the Great and the Danish invasion of England, before it was known as England. The author is Bernard Cornwell and I must say, what an amazing job he has done with this series. I simply could not put this book down. I will hope to forget a lot of this book within the next year so I can really enjoy it again. Honestly the best 60 euro I have ever spent.

A top notch series IMO. Uhtred is one of my favourite characters ever.
    Read on his web page that part 7will be out in the next year .:D
    I am reading The Fort by Cornwell at the moment,along with Giles Kristian's book Odins Wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

RADIUS wrote: »
    I have also leaped onto the Game of Thrones bandwagon and let me tell you, it's a damn fine wagon.

Wait until you go from the outstanding 'A Storm of Swords' on a high only to find 'A Feast for Crows' brings you right back down again.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

Has anybody read John Boyne's novel The Absolutist? I loved it, very moving story, but for some reason did not get any publicity at the time of publication... perhaps I missed it ... but it would have to be my favourite novel of the year so far......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Mars Bar wrote: »

Most enjoyable book ever !! FACT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭jimmyjoe951

Reading the curious incident of the dog in the night time again...probably one of my fav books so different to anything else I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Finished A song of ice and fire last week then reak the lost world ( sequel to Jurassic Park) and now I've started the Aubrey/Maturin books. The first few were made into the film Master and Commander with Russel Crowe. Fairly hard to get into to be honest, has anyone read them? Are they worth the effort?

I read the first one and didn't bother getting the second. They're good for what they are, if you remember they started publishing in the 70s, but the authors style for dialogue just really put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

Just finished We need to talk about Kevin - brilliant book, best I've read in a long time.

Just started Awareness - Anthony de Mello. Quite undecided over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I read the first one and didn't bother getting the second. They're good for what they are, if you remember they started publishing in the 70s, but the authors style for dialogue just really put me off.

That's strange since he only wrote them in the 90's :p

I'm halfway through A Clash of Kings now and I'm enjoying it. I watched the TV show first and although the first series stayed quite true to the first book, there are a lot of differences between the second book and second series. There are things I have been disappointed to have seen left out
    (I wish Catelyn's uncle, brother and father featured in the show for instance, the uncle in particular is a very good character. I also would have like Meera and Jojen Reed to appear in the series, but apparently they will be in the next one.)
    but I guess they can't put it all in. There are also extra bits that they put in the TV show that I was disappointed when they weren't in the books!
    e.g. the animosity the Daenerys faced before being allowed into Qarth. Yoren telling Arya about repeating the names of people he wants to kill in his head before he goes to sleep. The torture of the prisoners in Harrenhall (putting the bucket over their face with the insects in it).

I do find the jumping between characters doesn't let me get as invested in it as I do with some books though. Every time one chapter ends, I feel like I don't want to move onto a different character and it takes me a few pages to get into that one (except for Tyrion's chapters, they're my favourites!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Good writer; am really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Good writer; am really enjoying it so far.

That's a good one, must read that again. Her The Little Friend is also a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Her The Little Friend is also a great read.
    So I've heard. I have it lined up also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Michael J Fox - Always Looking Up, a good read. As affable in print as on screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

A song of ice and fire: A clash of kings and Bram Stokers Dracula

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Was determined for so long not to be a sheep, but am reading 50 Shades of Grey, and finding it intriguing to say the least:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Can't get enough of the ins and outs of Tudor history so reading my third book in a row by the historian Alison Weir at the moment, it's called Elizabeth the Queen and is really interesting as well as entertaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Just finshed "The Outsiders" by S E Hinton.
    Fantastic book

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement