Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just grabbed the third book in the Crossfire trilogy- "Entwined In You" by Sylvia Day. It's pure smut for the hell of it, but there is a fair bit of dramatic plot in it to string it together. 3 chapters in and loving it so far.

Next in my "To Read" list is "Revenge Wears Prada" by Laura Weisberger, "The New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird" by a variety of diferent sci-fi authors and "German For Dummies".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I'm working my way through Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Cemetery of Forgotten Books series (reading in Spanish cause I love the way he uses the language, particularly in descriptions). The first one, La Sombra del Viento/The Shadow of the Wind, was amazing but the second, El Juego del Angel/The Angel's Game, is taking me forever to read. His writing style is still excellent, but the plot is way too long-winded and disjointed. Hoping the last section pulls all the loose strands together...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shmalentine

Just finished reading 'Lolita' by Vladimir Nabokov and ''Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury.

I enjoyed both but I did find Lolita a bit disturbing to be honest as I'm sure anyone would find the story of a middle aged man obsessed with a 12 year old girl to be. It took me a while to get into as the language was so advanced (I'v never had to have a dictionary on standby when reading a novel) but it is brilliant writing if a bit heavy.

Fahrenheit 451 was a good read as well, it was light in comparison (I was reading both simultaneously) and the concept is very interesting. It didn't quite live up to the hype I'v heard about it but it was still enjoyable.

Next on the list is 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn. I have a feeling my library won't have it in stock so I might go for 'Fingersmith' by Sarah Waters if that's the case. I'v told both are real page turners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Sleepy wrote: »
    I think I'll keep Book 7 until after I've read a few different books, it'll be much easier to pick the series back up knowing I'm starting on a well regarded book rather than one of the derided ones!

Well as I said, I found book 7 the toughest and still have a book mark about a quarter the way in, but that was a re-read. I plowed through the first time. Just found Jordan began to become overly descriptive of every details in every room character walked into. Was taxing, but he comes through that and it is an epic series and the best ending I can remember reading in a long time.
    I'm enjoying the series for the most part, just beginning to find it a little tough-going after 6 bloody books of braid tugging from a certain awful character...

Hehe, she is an annoying character but I like her too. She isn't as loveable as others but when you have 3 girls who are so easy to fall in love with it's not a bad thing. If I had my choice I'd pobably take the short haired little minx... I swear I've never fantasised about a WoT four-way.... <_<

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My book will have my name (pen-name) which is linked to my twitter account. I've already had one strange man hit on me via twitter. I don't need my special fans stalking me. :cool:

You're not Alan Shatter are you? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, very good book. Kept me reading.

I Know This Much Is True also by Wally Lamb, it was grand, a lot of the same phrases used in She's Come Undone.

The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson, this book received huge reviews on Amazon so I was really looking forward to it but it wasn't for me. It's quite humorous in parts but there was a lot of history to it that just doesn't interest me.

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes, thoroughly enjoyed this book, it's a real edge of your seat page turner. I'd highly recommend it, I read it in two days. It takes a while to get into it as it jumps from the past to the present, but once you do it's a fantastic read.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Clive Barker - Weaveworld. Did read it back in my teens.........enjoying it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'The Hunger Games'. I finally caved in, need some light relief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

'What to Expect when you're Expecting' -very useful, easy to read, informative book -highly recommended! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Recently read Stephen King's Joyland in a few days. I had been waiting for it to come into the book shops for months, had thought I might not be able to get it here, as couldn't get his other crime fiction The Colorado Kid in shops here. Joyland was well worth the wait, I couldn't put it down.
    At the moment I'm reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer. I'm enjoying it very much, funny yet heartbreaking....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's taking me AGES to read Game Of Thrones Book 1! I'm liking it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Last few books I read:
    A light that never goes out (Smith's biography).
    Quiet by Susan Cain (book about introverts in an extrovert world).
    Quantum- a guide for the perplexed by Jim Al-Khalili (very readable).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Mars Bar wrote: »

Same here! A combination of wanting to savour it, not wanting to miss any details and forgetting who's the cousin of who and having to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

missing by casey hill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

LIFE by Keith Richards

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

And would you recommend it? Flesh it out people....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Jazzmaster wrote: »
    And would you recommend it? Flesh it out people....

'Jazzmaster', if you're asking me about the Keith Richards book, then all I can say is that so far it's mostly about music, how disappointing is that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm reading Zomblog II by TW Brown. So far I like it and the first book was good, but it hasn't gripped me yet. I'm not at that "have to keep reading" stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Mars Bar wrote: »

Wait til you get to a Feast for crows.....took me ages to finish it. >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mrmanunited

maguic24 wrote: »
    Wait til you get to a Feast for crows.....took me ages to finish it. >.<
    Amazing books, couldnt put them down, but I gotta admit, I did get a bit confused with all the names and stories, so my tip, dont read before you go to bed... Theyre awesome!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just finished The Hunger Games trilogy, very enjoyable.

Next up is either Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane or Raymond E Feist's Prince of the Blood, have them both sitting upstairs.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Just finished The Hunger Games trilogy, very enjoyable.

Next up is either Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane or Raymond E Feist's Prince of the Blood, have them both sitting upstairs.

Make sure you've read Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon before Prince of the Blood.

I have good memories of reading these twenty years ago. I'd be afraid they wouldn't stand up to scrutiny if I read them again.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I have, loved them :) Haven't read anything else of his though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lucena wrote: »
    Make sure you've read Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon before Prince of the Blood.

I have good memories of reading these twenty years ago. I'd be afraid they wouldn't stand up to scrutiny if I read them again.

Same. And they really don't... :(

I have, loved them :) Haven't read anything else of his though.

Yeah, I loved them as well. It was great the way the story wasn't all "quest to save the Sword/Ring/*insert other magical item here* from falling into the hands of the Dark Lord rising in the East".

Having said that, I did enjoy the Belgariad by David Eddings, which was exactly what I've just described. Good characters and dialogue. I just wish I'd stopped reading his stuff at that point.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

I'm reading"Domestique" by Charlie Wegelius. It's a really interesting look inside the pro peleton of cycling from an angle that few of us ever think about. Charley is one of the unsung heroes of cycling who gives everything to make sure that his team leader is on the top step of the podium, whether it be the Tour de France or one of the One Day Classics. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just finished reading "The Family Corleone", by Ed Falco.

It's a prequel to the Godfather story. I'm always weary of prequels but this was a really really good book.
    A must-read for any fans of the Godfather. Or even if you're not....just read it. It's really enjoyable and you don't need any knowledge of the Godfather story beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I'm reading There's Something About Kevin and to be honest I don't think I'll finish it. I could care less about what's wrong with Kevin. Such a slow book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm almost finished reading The Fault In Our Stars, by John Green. I like it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Pang wrote: »
    I'm reading There's Something About Kevin and to be honest I don't think I'll finish it. I could care less about what's wrong with Kevin. Such a slow book.

I was just coming in to add my book and there ya are.. already done for me :-)

I'm nearly finished it, I will finish it, but it's hardly riveting. I'd sum it up as mildly interesting.

I must go book shopping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement