Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading A Feast for Crows. Not as disappointing as many have led me to believe so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Mao's Great Famine at the moment. The Chinese, a hungry bunch of lads.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

The Fall of Carthage: The Punic Wars 265-146BC by Adrian Goldsworthy.

Very readable so far, but yet thorough and detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Pang wrote: »
    I'm reading There's Something About Kevin and to be honest I don't think I'll finish it. I could care less about what's wrong with Kevin. Such a slow book.

It's more interesting if you're into psychology.

I quite liked it :), but it certainly isn't for everyone. It's not meant to be exciting either with it's diary feel.

And you'd pick up a book thats cleary about whats wrong with Kevin, what was the cause, the relationships he had with his family, could she have prevented what he did? At the end does he regret it? Is he just broken? Are all children born good?

The book is mostly about 'him'. It's only interesting if you want to understand why he does what he does. It's a book that brings up more questions than it answers. And that's what makes it good. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

The Fall of Carthage: The Punic Wars 265-146BC by Adrian Goldsworthy.

Very readable so far, but yet thorough and detailed.

Would you recommend it as a 'holiday' read, I'm off to Trabolgan with the wife and kiddies for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

The ghost road, Pat Barker. It's ok - its the 3rd book in the series and maybe if i had read the other two I might enjoy it more :)

Quite a dark read - follows a handfull of men through their time on the front in WWII. Will be glad to finish it

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I'm reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

It's keeping me interested so far but nothing amazing, I heard there's a few twists so looking forward to finding these out at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extense

Nearly halfway through. It's a charming book written from the POV of a 10-year-old (continues until he's 17) who was hit by a meteorite. It reminds me a lot of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I'm actually not entirely sure if it's supposed to be a book for young adults or adults, but I'm enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm reading John Steinbeck's 'The Log from the Sea of Cortez'. My god he does go off on tangents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I finished "At Home" by Bill Bryson today. Hugely enjoyable and funny, perfect for reading during breaks at work.

I'm tackling "Austerity, The History of a Dangerous Idea" by Mark Blyth next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

The ghost road, Pat Barker. It's ok - its the 3rd book in the series and maybe if i had read the other two I might enjoy it more :)

Quite a dark read - follows a handfull of men through their time on the front in WWII. Will be glad to finish it
    Yeah, I think to enjoy it fully you really need to read the whole trilogy. I sat down to read The Ghost Road myself and realised that it was the last in a trilogy so put off reading it until I acquired the first two.

Not sure if that was a typo or if you're confused because you didn't read the first two books, but it's actually WWI! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Amazing books, couldnt put them down, but I gotta admit, I did get a bit confused with all the names and stories, so my tip, dont read before you go to bed... Theyre awesome!!

I only read before I go to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Yeah, I think to enjoy it fully you really need to read the whole trilogy. I sat down to read The Ghost Road myself and realised that it was the last in a trilogy so put off reading it until I acquired the first two.

Not sure if that was a typo or if you're confused because you didn't read the first two books, but it's actually WWI! ;)

Ha ha Typo. I bought the book as a Booker prize collection one year and only getting to read it now. I suppose not really my cup of tea even though i am a history graduate!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Ha ha Typo. I bought the book as a Booker prize collection one year and only getting to read it now. I suppose not really my cup of tea even though i am a history graduate!
    Best of the Booker collection? That's how I got it too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm reading Life if Pi at the moment. I like it for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

I'm about a third way into Gardens of the moon by Steve Erickson but the silly WoW style magic is making it a bit of a chore. I may or may not finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Just finished One day by David Nicholls. Wow sums it up.....loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Just finished 'Blood Meridian' by Cormac McCarthy. Beautifully written.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Finished Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, this time in French, just there (I like a challenge :P ). They called the Sorting Hat the Choixpeau ("choix" being "choice" and "chapeau" being "hat"). The fact that they put in this pun solely because they could entertained far more than it should have :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Just finished 'Blood Meridian' by Cormac McCarthy. Beautifully written.

Definitely his strongest book in my opinion.I read that,then the road.But the rest of his books I found to be a bit rubbish,I love his writing style but the likes of "all the pretty horses" bored me to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Reached book six in The Wheel of Time series and am now taking a break from it.
    Started Robert Ludlum's The Hades Factor last night.

Only on chapter three so far but enjoying it. Also reading The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, almost finished it's quite good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Am reading World War Z at the moment. Not normally into zombie apocalypse stuff, but it's f*ckin MEGA!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

tigger123 wrote: »
    Am reading World War Z at the moment. Not normally into zombie apocalypse stuff, but it's f*ckin MEGA!!!!

Good to know. I am going to get the book after I have seen the movie as I have heard mixed things about the movie but only great things about the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm now reading Six Years, by Harlan Coben. I think it's good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Good to know. I am going to get the book after I have seen the movie as I have heard mixed things about the movie but only great things about the book.

It was actually the reviews of the movie that got me interested, they all seemed to start with "I loved the book ... ". But yeah, you won't be disappointed. It's written in the style of an oral history, so you've lots of different stories being told one after another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

just finished Ready Player One which was amazing

Currently on story 4 of Wool: Omnibus by Hugh Howey,

and the first story blew me away so much that i couldn't not keep going so although the next 2 stories weren't as exciting they had interesting characters at least and builds upon the first story, which i dunno where its gonna go. But these twists, blowing my mind, just like i like my sci-fi. Horribly bleak from the start up until now but some ray of sunshine is shining through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Definitely his strongest book in my opinion.I read that,then the road.But the rest of his books I found to be a bit rubbish,I love his writing style but the likes of "all the pretty horses" bored me to death.

I (kind of) know what you mean. The Road was a pretty big disappointment to me after reading Blood Meridian (my favourite book of any author) but once you realise that his other works are very different you can appreciate different aspects of his talent - for example his incredible ear for dialogue (see The Sunset Limited or No Country for Old Men for shining examples of this) or his intense action scenes (All the Pretty Horses and No Country for Old Men) etcetera.

BTW, Child of God might be more to your liking, similarly dark story as Blood Meridian

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stringofmisery

I read 'The Cuckoo's Calling', by JK Rowling....i reckon had it not goten leaked out that she wrote it, no-one would ever have heard of this book, or at least it wouldnt be hitting all the best-seller lists.thought it was long, tedious, full of stereo-types and characters i couldnt warm to.Although, the plot was very well woven, all through-out the book i was really hoping the killer wasnt who it turned out to be, because it's just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Slow Sex, the art and craft of the female orgasm, takes a bit of work but it's starting to come together.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

The Hunger Games. Enjoying it so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement