Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. Going to be a very sad tale I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Reading American Psycho for the second time this summer. LOVE IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

'Civilization and its Discontents' by Freud.
    Only a few chapters in but pretty interesting so far and surprisingly readable for the layman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

Reading Strumpet City for a book club. Struggling with it I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Reading Strumpet City for a book club. Struggling with it I have to say.

Struggling with Strumpet City, ah for Jaysus sake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Just started Sophie's World

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Currently reading 'The Corner' from David Simon - the creator of the show the Wire. Great read. Gives an insight of what it like to raise a child in one of Americas worst neighbourhoods.

I going to read the Wolf of Wall Street next. Apparently they are making a movie of it starring Leonardo Di Caprio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Finished "Ham on Rye" by Charles Bukowski yesterday, and have started "Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemmingway.

9959 wrote: »
    Struggling with Strumpet City, ah for Jaysus sake.

Struggling to fight the boredom I feel when reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm reading The Red Queen, by Phillipa Gregory. It's very good, a real page turner. I just finished Return to Manderley by Sally Beauman, that was very good too and not something I'd normally have chosen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The Pilgrim's Progress in Old and Modern English. Its just about keeping my attention. Don't know why I am reading the book. I am not religious at all but every now and again I get a book that is very old just to broaden the type and range of books I have read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Manuscripts found in Accra by Coehlo, life lessons which I think are inspiring. Atheist types might not like it due to spiritual undertones but I wouldn't call it a religious book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Zombee

I'm about a third of my way through "Citadel" by Kate Mosse, when I'm finished I will start Book 5 in the Wheel of Time series "Fires of Heaven".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I just purchased Gone Girl. I'm saving it for my holiday reading. I'm told it's suposed to be quite gripping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

I haven't been able to put down my current book for weeks. It has so many little tales within the big tale. I don't see any of the twists and turns coming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Oh, it's called Ann and Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Yellow121 wrote: »
    Oh, it's called Ann and Barry.

Don't say any more. I'm only on page 3 nd don't want the end ruined on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

Been reading 'The Incal', illustrated by Moebius. A sort of graphic novel but some whopper illustrations in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Been reading 'The Incal', illustrated by Moebius. A sort of graphic novel but some whopper illustrations in it.

Have you seen any Jodorowsky films? If so, is his writing in Incal anything similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

the adventures of huckleberry finn :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

One of them yellow 'For Dummies' books - as to what category it is, I ain't saying :P

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman, good so far!

McChubbin wrote: »
    I just purchased Gone Girl. I'm saving it for my holiday reading. I'm told it's suposed to be quite gripping.

I found it to be a page turner for the most part but didn't really enjoy it as a whole. The plot just spirals into complete absurdity and you want to slap all the characters. Probably good for a holiday ready though, I imagine you'll be hooked throughout the first half, I was anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Just finished reading The Iceman by Philip Carlo. It's a true story about Richard Kuklinski mafia contract killer and all round psychopath. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Now about to start Hard Time by Shaun Attwood another true story, this one is about an English guy jailed in Arizona for dealing Ectasy. Watched him on banged up abroad last week and bought the book based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

Have you seen any Jodorowsky films? If so, is his writing in Incal anything similar?

I havn't seen any no, although cheers this reminds me to. The copy of The Incal is translated, apparently doesn't read as fluidly as the original...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Hunger Games. Enjoying it so far.
    Finished this the other day and really enjoyed it so went straight into the second one. They're addictive!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Still in my Rome faze, some fiction this time, with Imperium by Robert Harris. The first of the Cicero books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Reading Dan Browns new one Inferno, about halfway through and im bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

Just finishing up 'Sisterland' by Curtis Sittenfeld. Really enjoyed it, think she is a very perceptive writer.

Have Ian Rankin's newest book lined up to read next. ('Standing in another man's grave')

Have never read anything by him before, but have heard he is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Stevie888

Just finished High Fidelity, it's hilarious, mainly due to how close to the bone it is! Haven't laughed do much whilst reading a book in a long time, but sad aswel.

Next up will be Niall Fergusons "Empire", which should be interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement