Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Stevie888 wrote: »
    Just finished High Fidelity, it's hilarious, mainly due to how close to the bone it is! Haven't laughed do much whilst reading a book in a long time, but sad aswel.
    Yeah, I enjoyed reading it, but the movie was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Started reading "The Aquariums of Pyongyang"

It's the true story of a North Korean defector to South Korea. Good read so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Harry Potter et les Reliques de la Mort - The 7th book in French. Working my way through it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I just got "The 48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene. Looks really really good but I'll need some proper free quite time to get stuck into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Stevie888

Barna77 wrote: »
    Yeah, I enjoyed reading it, but the movie was disappointing.

Agreed, think it would have worked better if they had have kept it true to the book and set it in England rather then America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 stephenken

I am reading Cuckoo's Calling by JK Rowling ......have read bout 40 pgs. and I like her style !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

East of Eden by John Steinback.
    Slightly slow start but it became very compelling very quickly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Just finished 'the secret footballer'

now reading 'the meadow kashmir 1995 where the terror began' really good reading

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman, good so far!

Amazing books...pity about the movie :( I must actually read them again, it's been a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

John Connolly, The burning Soul......Meh bored with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

McChubbin wrote: »
    I just purchased Gone Girl. I'm saving it for my holiday reading. I'm told it's suposed to be quite gripping.

Probably the worst book I've ever read.

Anne & Barry would put it to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Ormus wrote: »

I've just finished it and the ending was such a let down, very disappointed in it.

Starting And the Mountains Echoed today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Ormus wrote: »

I loved the first half, but the second half didn't do much for me.

Reading 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes at the moment. Much more my style.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Just coming to the end of Dominion by CJ Samson. Very like Fatherland in an alternative history way. Going to start on JK Rowling and the Cuckoo Calling thing next. Given that I enjoyed Casual Vacancy I have high hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

reading Ring by Stephen Baxter its soooo tecnicahal i wont be buying any more of his books il finish it anyway but not my type of sci fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm reading Vietnam: The Definitive Oral History, Told From All Sides by Christian G. Appy. It's a fantastic account of the Vietnam war told from military, social and political perspectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Just finished This Love Is Not For Cowards: Salvation and Soccer in Ciudad Juárez by Robert Andrew Powell.

A sports book but much more than that ... an insiders look at a full season with Juarez's Indios, the city's beloved underdog soccer team ... a city that just happens to be murder capital of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Amazing books...pity about the movie :( I must actually read them again, it's been a good few years.

+ 1, just finished Northern Lights, addictive reading. I've just ordered The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass from amazon, probably won't be here til next Wednesday though :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 dancin ted danson

I bought Jane Eyre yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

shockwave wrote: »
    Reading Dan Browns new one Inferno, about halfway through and im bored.

I just finished 'The Lost Symbol'. While I really enjoyed the book, the wind down took far too long. It was sixty pages after all of the 'action' finished up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Finished The Book Thief and Sherlock Holmes. Went into the book shop and bought Nineteen Eighty Four. Was on my way home and it struck me that lately I have been reading mainly classics and heavy content books lately, so I decided to take a break for a few weeks, so I just popped into the book shop again and bought the Percy Jackson series. The woman behind the counter (who knows my reading habits too well at this stage) just said "You just bought nineteen eighty four! You have been reading such good literature lately. Don't revert back to the fantasy and sci-fi! The fact that these books are in the childrens section, not even the young adults section, says a lot"... I just told her I needed something light and unoccupying for a few weeks. As my friend said to me, it says Age 9+, it doesnt give an upper age limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

^ Judgemental much? I wouldn't be impressed with that attitude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

That's awful. I like the classics as much as anyone but sometimes I just need to switch off for a while and read something like 'The Hunger Games' or some chick lit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

On the second Game of Thrones book. Best chapters, as with the first, are Tyrion ones.

Davyhal wrote: »
    I needed something light and unoccupying for a few weeks.

I read some weighty stuff related to work and while I do like a lot of heavier literary fiction, I often escape into fluffy, easy reads and authors I know will entertain but not challenge me.

I hate snobbery around reading. It doesn't always have to be about expanding your mind (though that is good!), it can also just be fun and relaxing, and that's every bit as worthwhile as getting to the end of Ulysses and understanding every nuance.

ETA: I'm reading 'The Lost Labyrinth' by Will Adams, it's an adventure but I've only started and I'm not sure it's my thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Davyhal wrote: »
    You have been reading such good literature lately. Don't revert back to the fantasy and sci-fi! The fact that these books are in the childrens section, not even the young adults section, says a lot"... I just told her I needed something light and unoccupying for a few weeks. As my friend said to me, it says Age 9+, it doesnt give an upper age limit!

What's wrong with fantasy? ..~tuts~

I dislike that some genres are seen as "good" reading while others "bad".
    And this his whole "that's a childrens book, don't read that". :rolleyes:
    As if age level and subject is what makes a book worth reading :confused:

It was the same reactions that put me off a local book club I used to be part of. __

Currently reading: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9642220-a-shadow-on-the-glass
    24% in, and it's alright, but already too much of "there is NO escape...oh wait, look over there" ..and apparently that continues throughout ><

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Just finished Hugh Howey's Dust (final part of the Wool series.) Was lucky enough to get the only digital copy from Hugh himself! Also managed (no idea how!) to be allowed the first published review. Such a nice guy.
    If anyone's interested the review is here
    Also have a very rare signed first edition of Wool to give away!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finished Prince of the Blood last week. A decent read, step down form the Riftwar saga level though.

Flew through Neil Gaiman's latest, The Ocean at the End of the Lane. An intriguing read. I enjoyed it, but can't fully make my mind up about it, may come back and reread at a later date.

Now on Good Omens by Sir Terry and Neil Gaiman (unintentional NG spree). Needed something light hearted and this is fitting the bill nicely.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime. Enjoyable read

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

just inhaled the alchemist, with a cup of tea. Quick enjoyable read don't know why I didn't read before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement