Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Started reading "dune" for the second time, still draws me in like no other sci-fi book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

About halfway through 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks. Wasn't fond of the love story in Part 1 but the war parts are interesting and are making me think about the WWI soldiers in a new light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

ChewChew wrote: »
    The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime. Enjoyable read

I read that for school, finished it in a night :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Now on Good Omens by Sir Terry and Neil Gaiman (unintentional NG spree). Needed something light hearted and this is fitting the bill nicely.

Read this recently - good fun!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I just finished 'The Never List' by Koethi Zan, it was a good read. Dunno what to read next though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
    I had read Lunar Park by the same author and I was unimpressed but I'd heard things about this one. Very clever and hard to put down, but be warned that some scenes are hard to read

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

The girl with the dragon tattoo. Only read about 30 pages so far but not what i expected. I havent seen the film (dont intend to either)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

"The Marriage Plot" by Jeffrey Eugenides. Really enjoying it.

Then onto "Dead Souls" by Ian Rankin and then "Slaughterhouse Five" for the first time.

Alternating between Rebus books and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I am currently reading, 'I never had it made' by Jackie Robinson. I've only just started it but its a story I have wanted to read for a while. Jackie was the first black player to play in the major leagues back in the '40's. In those days they had the separate 'negro' leagues would you believe.

The recent movie 42 with Harrison Ford (who plays the owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers) is based on his story.
    Jack Roosevelt "Jackie" Robinson (January 31, 1919 – October 24, 1972) was an American baseball player who became the first African American to play in Major League Baseball (MLB) in the modern era. Robinson broke the baseball color line when the Brooklyn Dodgers started him at first base on April 15, 1947. As the first major league team to play a black man since the 1880s, the Dodgers ended racial segregation that had relegated black players to the Negro leagues for six decades. The example of Robinson's character and unquestionable talent challenged the traditional basis of segregation, which then marked many other aspects of American life, and contributed significantly to the Civil Rights Movement.

In addition to his cultural impact, Robinson had an exceptional baseball career. Over ten seasons, Robinson played in six World Series and contributed to the Dodgers' 1955 World Championship. He was selected for six consecutive All-Star Games, from 1949 to 1954, was the recipient of the inaugural MLB Rookie of the Year Award in 1947, and won the National League Most Valuable Player Award in 1949—the first black player so honored. Robinson was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962. In 1997, Major League Baseball "universally" retired his uniform number, 42, across all major league teams; he was the first pro athlete in any sport to be so honored. Initiated for the first time on April 15, 2004, Major League Baseball has adopted a new annual tradition, "Jackie Robinson Day", on which every player on every team wears #42.
    Source

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm starting The Maleficent Seven by Derek Landy. Hoping to have it finished before the new one comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
    I had read Lunar Park by the same author and I was unimpressed but I'd heard things about this one. Very clever and hard to put down, but be warned that some scenes are hard to read
    I bought it last weekend. I've meant to read it for ages but never got to it. I've read Rules of Attraction, which was good, and Less than Zero, alright, and Glamorama, disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

L'prof wrote: »
    The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands. Slowly but surely making my way through King's gunslinger series. Absolutely loving it so far and can't wait to see where it goes. Rumours of movies and mini series led me to finally get around to beginning these books. I think I'd prefer a tv show though.

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla. 4 down and 4 to go (well 3 and a prequel I think). Really can't wait to see how it all turns out for Roland and his fellow gunslingers. Not being the biggest reader of books has slowed me down considerably and I've been very tempted to opt for audiobooks to speed things up, but I think it would take away from the experience to a certain degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I started reading "Games of Thones" as I never watched the show and would like to see what the hype is about!
    Its not too bad, can recommend it :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla. 4 down and 4 to go (well 3 and a prequel I think).

Yeah the 8th book is a prequel and a bit detached form the 7 which make up the proper series. Still a good read though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla. 4 down and 4 to go (well 3 and a prequel I think). Really can't wait to see how it all turns out for Roland and his fellow gunslingers. Not being the biggest reader of books has slowed me down considerably and I've been very tempted to opt for audiobooks to speed things up, but I think it would take away from the experience to a certain degree.

The Wolves of the Calla is my favourite of them all. Absolutely gripping, you could almost read that stand alone.

The entire series is totall addictive, one or two disapoointments in last one though.

RachaelVO wrote: »
    The Wolves of the Calla is my favourite of them all. Absolutely gripping, you could almost read that stand alone.

The entire series is totall addictive, one or two disapoointments in last one though.

I've only read the first four but of them I thought that The Gunslinger and Wizard and Glass are by far the best, the other two being pretty mediocre books. I've been told that the last 3 books were pretty poor in comparison to 1 and 4 (the ending in particular gets a lot of stick), and at least 3 people reacted with utter incredulity when I told them that an 8th book was being released

I've only read the first four but of them I thought that The Gunslinger and Wizard and Glass are by far the best, the other two being pretty mediocre books. I've been told that the last 3 books were pretty poor in comparison to 1 and 4 (the ending in particular gets a lot of stick), and at least 3 people reacted with utter incredulity when I told them that an 8th book was being released

Of the first 4 The Gunslinger would be my favourite too, but Wolves, is pretty page turning alright.

And yes the ending... it was beyond frustrating, especially as I'd been waiting to get to the end for YEARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

JG Ballard's The Drowned World. Picked randomly off a shelf at my parents, my late father's book, I presume.

I never really warmed to his books before, but I discovered him through BBC Radio 4, where Ballard talked about growing up in the British Colonies. A very English voice.. and manner of conveying information.

I'm at a loss why Ballard gets 'classed' as a science fiction writer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

Spends very little time on the story as is happening....but concentrates on flashbacks.
    Very similar to Catch 22. Im looking forward to finishing it so I can start something else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway. Have a strong feeling it will end tragically.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Just finishing Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

It's taken about a year on and off - big book.

About an australian fugitive's adventures in Bombay spanning about a decade I guess. Incredibly well written (he was a journalist in Oz before crime) and full of pearls of wisdom and a fascinating insight into India in general. Let's go!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

chakotha wrote: »
    Just finishing Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

It's taken about a year on and off - big book.

About an australian fugitive's adventures in Bombay spanning about a decade I guess. Incredibly well written (he was a journalist in Oz before crime) and full of pearls of wisdom and a fascinating insight into India in general. Let's go!

My exact feelings after reading it. One of my favourite books.

Another one I loved that I see gets some bad reviews here is the Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed out the Window..I loved this book and couldn't put it down. Loved the flashback scenes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

The Stand - needless to say, this going to take me ages.

manyoung wrote: »

I assume you have the extended version, that's the one I read too. There's a foreward by Stephen King stating how this is the book he wanted to release originally, but the publishers made him cut it down. After the reading the bloated book, I wished he had cut out a good 3-4 hundred pages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

I assume you have the extended version, that's the one I read too. There's a foreward by Stephen King stating how this is the book he wanted to release originally, but the publishers made him cut it down. After the reading the bloated book, I wished he had cut out a good 3-4 hundred pages!

Yeah, I've got the extended edition. Good so far. I read both forewards, but I can't understand how King can expect people to read them in a bookshop before they buy the book, if they even know about the foreward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

manyoung wrote: »

My favorite book lol i start reading this every st Stephens day and love it every time. Recently finished of mice and men (another classic that i love) and am now going to work my way through the full Travis McGee series by John D McDonald (think of Jack Reacher but set in the 50s :D )

LOVE The Stand...

B.O.U.L.D.E.R spells page turner oh lordy yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

the prince of naples great book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Finished Joseph Conrad and the Secret Agent, hard work at the start, read John Irving and a Prayer for Owen Meany in between, good book, got the urge to read The Secret Agent again.

My jaw has never dropped so much while reading a book.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement