Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional Hospital to change its name (and cost a lot of money no doubt)

• 16-08-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭

Looks as if the Regional might be changing its name.
    I'm sure this rebranding will cost the taxpayer more money, considering the hospital has already blown its budget for the year!
    Limerick Regional to change name again
    By Lloyd Mudiwa.

It has been proposed to change the name of the Mid-Western Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle — also known as the Limerick Regional Hospital — for the third time in five years.

This time, the name will be changed to the University Hospital Limerick, Irish Medical Times has learned.

According to the HSE, the change of title is to take account of the increasing prominence of its links with the University of Limerick (UL) and its new medical school and the recent appointment of academic professors as joint appointments between UL and the Executive.

The new title also acknowledges links with other universities, particularly University College Cork, and has the endorsement of all stakeholders within the Mid-Western Hospitals and UL, the HSE said.

http://www.imt.ie/news/latest-news/2011/07/limerick-regional-to-change-name-again.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Could be name dependent ploy in so much that if they remove services from a "Regional" Hospital like Nenagh or Ennis and move them to a big super duper UNIVERSITY hospital then it won't sound so bad.

NERA, ERA and about 7 other agencies are being formed into one soon but lo and behold they are not going to reduce number of employees. It will cost a fortune to rebrand 8/9 companies. Stupid country.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

i agree with it, patients should be aware that it is a teaching hospital!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

If they are renaming it to tie in with UL why not call it the NIHW?.
    National Institution for Higher Waiting times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

They ran outta money to keep beds open and now they are going to change there name, there is nothing wrong with its name...they can simply put a building in there and call it the teaching building...how much will it cost for all there letterheads as well as everything else going to cost..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I don't imagine it will cost all that much tbh - a lot of the stationery / signs etc. say 'HSE Mid-West' or HSE West rather than the MWRH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Apart from the cost involved in rebranding, I for one couldn't care less what the hospital is called.

What good is an name change when you are waiting for hours or spending days on a trolley in A&E in Limerick with all the other good people from Limerick City/County, Clare and North Tipp :rolleyes:

The Midwestern Regional Hospital or University Hospital Limerick needs a substantial increase in resources to cope with the additional demands being placed on it due to the removal of A&E services (after 8pm) from Ennis and Nenagh hospitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Apart from the cost involved in rebranding, I for one couldn't care less what the hospital is called.

What good is an name change when you are waiting for hours or spending days on a trolley in A&E in Limerick with all the other good people from Limerick City/County, Clare and North Tipp :rolleyes:

The Midwestern Regional Hospital or University Hospital Limerick needs a substantial increase in resources to cope with the additional demands being placed on it due to the removal of A&E services (after 8pm) from Ennis and Nenagh hospitals.

It also needs an increase in productivity from the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

MrsD007 wrote: »

There is a massive amount of building going on at the hospital at the moment. Mainly new critical care units like ICU, HDU and coronary care. And there is going to be a new A&E department too. All in a new 6 storey building.

The change of name wont cost loads either. Maybe a few signs here and there but they wont cost millions. And the cost of changing letterheads, invoice etc will be minimal. These are consumables which have to be bought every month or so any way. Its not like they will have warehouses of headed papers that will have to be burned because of the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

The Willie O Day Hospital

I was shocked to hear that the main surgical ward was closed recently. Needless to say this ward caters for the surgically ill folk and now they have to share with people all over the hospital. They could be up with people in Gastro, Coronary, EN&T or, even worse, they could be in a transit lounge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Name change doesn't matter, people will still call it the Regional

Sure ask a taximan in Limerick to go to Limerick IT and he'll reply "ah, the RTC"
    The CERT training centre in Foxboro is known as the " old Krups factory"

And many call FÁS as AMCO

It won't cost much but it's a waste of time.
    Just name the appropriate building in there with the new name and leave the overall name alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I was shocked to hear that the main surgical ward was closed recently. Needless to say this ward caters for the surgically ill folk and now they have to share with people all over the hospital. They could be up with people in Gastro, Coronary, EN&T or, even worse, they could be in a transit lounge.

Never heard that.:eek:

Kess73 wrote: »
    Never heard that.:eek:

It's 1b at the top of the main stairs. Some of the rooms are still open but the largest ward the main womens surgical ward has been shut indefinetely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Goofy wrote: »
    There is a massive amount of building going on at the hospital at the moment. Mainly new critical care units like ICU, HDU and coronary care. And there is going to be a new A&E department too. All in a new 6 storey building.

The change of name wont cost loads either. Maybe a few signs here and there but they wont cost millions. And the cost of changing letterheads, invoice etc will be minimal. These are consumables which have to be bought every month or so any way. Its not like they will have warehouses of headed papers that will have to be burned because of the change.

I hope that they will be able to hire the professionals they need, no point in a having a lovely new building and a fancy new name if you can't attract/retain clinicians with the correct skill set to run it.

Ah lord. What do ye make of this?? Seems to be imminent judging by the stage the tender process is at.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/private-firm-to-run-hospitals-2909794.html
    A PRIVATE company is to be drafted in to run a number of the country's public hospitals for 15 months in a radical overhaul of management.

The public hospitals in the west, including University College Hospital in Galway and Limerick Regional Hospital, both of which are beset by long waiting lists and overcrowding, are to be effectively taken over for more than a year by outside management consultants. During that time they will attempt to increase efficiencies, cut waiting times and reduce budget overruns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ah lord. What do ye make of this?? Seems to be imminent judging by the stage the tender process is at.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/private-firm-to-run-hospitals-2909794.html

If it makes that filthy hospital cleaner, less prone to outbreaks of bugs, and patients get better care, then it can only be a good thing.

Word is that they are going to be a foreign company (i.e. I don't mean a foreign company with a base here like Accenture etc.) - have to say I would prefer to see the tax payer's money going on workers based in ireland (don't care where they are from, just that they spent their wages here!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Word is that they are going to be a foreign company (i.e. I don't mean a foreign company with a base here like Accenture etc.) - have to say I would prefer to see the tax payer's money going on workers based in ireland (don't care where they are from, just that they spent their wages here!)

You have to factor in tax payer savings too though. Health services seem to pour money down the drain while having poor facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

I heard that the majority of health care funding is going to go to galway because it's a university teaching hospital. I would say that the reason they want to change their name to include "university" would be maybe an attempt to get more of that funding for themselves. Public owned or private owned it can't get any worse than it already is.

Advertisement