Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power disruption and now freezer and power shower are dead!

Options
  • 16-08-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

We had a power disruption the evening of the day we left for a weeks holidays, neighbours confirm this. When we returned the fridge freezer and power shower were not working properly, they were working perfectly before we left. The fridge freezer was repaired today and the engineer said the main control board was damaged, he said a change in voltage was the cause and when told of the power disruption said that this was the likely cause. The power shower is also exhibiting problems consistent with damage to the control unit, an engineer is due next week to examine it but also says that the power disruption could be the cause. Common sense would indicate that its not a coincidence that both pieces of equipment developed faults at the same time and directly after a disruption to the power supply.

I've emailed ESB Networks asking for information on the disruption and am awaiting a reply. In the meantime can anyone tell me what liability ESB Networks have for such damage and how difficult it is to pursue them for the cost of repairs to the equipment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I'd say you'll have a hell of a time getting ESB Networks to admit liability. The voltage range they undertake to supply at is quite wide at 207V to 253V, see here:

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/about-us/index.jsp

I suspect that your fridge / shower couldn't handle that wide a band?

Does your house insurance not cover these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

None of your neighbours experienced any problems?

If they had, then you would have a case, but if its one house from a group, you will find it hard I would reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

it's the switching voltage after a fault that could cause the problem.
    Check with a few neighbours as your immediate neighbours may be on a different phase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'd suspect that the problem with your shower is entirely coincidental, as it should have been isolated from the mains for the duration of your holiday when, presumably, it wasn't in use.

So...how can you blame the ESB for damaging something that was switched off and not even connected to the mains?

As regards the fridge freezer, you may have suffered a "brownout" which effectively means that you would have been receiving half of the voltage you should have, ie. 115V. This could damage anything with a motor in it (like the compressor in a fridge freezer)...

You'll probably find that the ESB has no liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

exaisle wrote: »
    I'd suspect that the problem with your shower is entirely coincidental, as it should have been isolated from the mains for the duration of your holiday when, presumably, it wasn't in use.

So...how can you blame the ESB for damaging something that was switched off and not even connected to the mains?

As regards the fridge freezer, you may have suffered a "brownout" which effectively means that you would have been receiving half of the voltage you should have, ie. 115V. This could damage anything with a motor in it (like the compressor in a fridge freezer)...

You'll probably find that the ESB has no liability.

The shower has an electronic control unit with a built in pump that has permanent mains power, a remote unit in the bathroom then activates the pump. The shower control unit is in effect always on.

None of our immediate neighbours have reported any faulty equipment, but a friend in an adjacent estate that experienced the same power disruption had her dishwasher running when the power went, the dishwasher hasn't worked properly since, so it would seem we were not the only people to have appliances damaged.

ESB Networks have provided details on the cause of the power failure and have given details of the department that deals with compensation claims. I'm roughly €1000 out of pocket at the moment which appears to me and the fridge freezer engineer a direct result of the power disruption. Once I have a resolution I'll post an update here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Thanks for the clarification...any word back from ESB as yet?

Advertisement