Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

five county cycle challenge - anyone doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

ADHOnA21 wrote: »
    Hi there

This spin is coming up September 4th in Cavan, I did it last year. Really well run for stops, support and marshaled. It's about an hour down the road from Dublin on the new motorway so handy enough to get there.

Anyone thinking about doing it?

http://fivecountycyclechallenge.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Five-County-Cycle-Challenge-2011/243920025642172

Later.

I did it last year, good spin, well organised and will be back. I think the route is much the same as last year - undulating..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

think this is the next one on the calendar for me, glad to hear some positive feedback from last year. from monaghan originally so will just run over on the morning

what size field was it last year?

G rock wrote: »
    think this is the next one on the calendar for me, glad to hear some positive feedback from last year. from monaghan originally so will just run over on the morning

what size field was it last year?

Think there was about 50-60 who took part last year , I know that they were a bit disappointed with the turnout but there was a traithlon taking place on the same day not 10 miles away which would certainly have affected the numbers. The triathlon was already taken place this year and there is a new club after being set up in the area so I would imagine there will be an increase in the numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ADHOnA21

Yeah 60-80 last year. The fields were tidy and moved along nicely. Hope my legs can hold me in the front group this year :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭alan2348

There a few of us thinking of going down to this. how much is the entry fee? any word on the number's for this year? seen there was only about 60 last year hope that will be up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Lambretta

A mate and I are going to do the 100km option.

Hopefully it will be a nice day for it, weather forecast is looking reasonably good, sunny with odd shower ...

Would be nice if the numbers increased from last year....heard it is a well run event.

alan2348 wrote: »
    There a few of us thinking of going down to this. how much is the entry fee? any word on the number's for this year? seen there was only about 60 last year hope that will be up.

Entry fee is 20 euro paid at sign on, no word on numbers yet.
    Where are ye travelling from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭alan2348

Entry fee is 20 euro paid at sign on, no word on numbers yet.
    Where are ye travelling from ?

we are travelling from co louth about an hour and a half driving. 3 of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

Will give this one a go. Is there a mapmyride for the 150km? I'm wondering whether there is much climbing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ventoux

Hi, not sure what total climbing will be, but most of the second half
    is on quite testing roads, with the highest point at 120k and about
    300 mtr high after a 4k climb.The other bump is at 60k just after
    the first stop.Maybe a total of about 1000mtr altogether.

• Advertisement

ventoux wrote: »
    Hi, not sure what total climbing will be, but most of the second half
    is on quite testing roads, with the highest point at 120k and about
    300 mtr high after a 4k climb.The other bump is at 60k just after
    the first stop.Maybe a total of about 1000mtr altogether.

Profile can trick you with a flat looking course but it can be a bit up and down. You're in the drumlins county after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

I'm going to try to make the 100k.
    Found the Tour of Kildare fairly easy a few weeks back and that may have lured me into a false sense of security as it was so flat and plenty of groups to ride with.
    Not sure if it's orientated towards the more serious rider or leisure rider?

Edit.. How come there is no mention of this on the Cycling Ireland site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I wouldn't mind doing this but I'm moving house this week.

Is there some sort of calendar for all these events in one place anywhere? I'm quite new to this and have done one event this year which I enjoyed and so I want to do more next year, but need to plan which ones I can do in between work and other commitments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I wouldn't mind doing this but I'm moving house this week.

Is there some sort of calendar for all these events in one place anywhere? I'm quite new to this and have done one event this year which I enjoyed and so I want to do more next year, but need to plan which ones I can do in between work and other commitments

Found the Tour of Kildare fairly easy a few weeks back and that may have lured me into a false sense of security as it was so flat and plenty of groups to ride with.

It was run for the first time last year prinicpally by a local cyclist in aid of the local national school. This year he decided to run it again with help of a number of cyclists but it was only recently that the date was confirmed as far as I know. I would say that it is geared more towards the leisure cyclist but having said that the 150k will be a good test for even the more serious cyclist.

Hi

It's aimed at both leisure and more serious (150k). It's a great ride and well organised. If you found 100k fairly easty, then you'll br grand.

No idea why its not on cycling Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

See the start has been changed to Virginia (Ramor GAA on N3 into the town) but no mention of start times/sign on times.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

I think it says registration is at 8.30 with 9.30 start for the 150km. No idea if there are food stops/support vehicles and if route is marked though. Don't really have a clue where I'm going so if those things were there I'd give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dotzciaran

The route is fully marked out and there are 2 food stops on the route for the 150k and 1 for the 100k and 50k.

http://fivecountycyclechallenge.com/default.aspx

Great spin today. Route good and very well marshalled. Food stops also very good. Hot shower was brillant and badly needed after the rain. if they could sort out the rain for next year, we'd be laughing :)

• Advertisement

ADHOnA21 wrote: »
    Great spin today. Route good and very well marshalled. Food stops also very good. Hot shower was brillant and badly needed after the rain. if they could sort out the rain for next year, we'd be laughing :)

Which route did you do ?

Which route did you do ?[/Quote]

Started out for the 150 but jumped out towards the 90K mark to get back a bit quicker. Finished with about 100K on the clock

Advertisement