Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did I buy wrong sized bike?

• 16-08-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi lads,

I ordered Carrera Virtuoso bike (white and sky blue one) from Halfords recently. Have not picked up the bike yet as was trying to get cheque from work for bike to work scheme. After a lot of hastle I finally am getting the cheque but now I have just realised that the large Carrera Virtuouso bike is stated as being only 54cm on Halfords website.

I had cycled my friends Carrera TDF limited edition large bike beforehand and size was fine for me but I see on Halfords website that this is a 58cm bike. I cant understand why Carrera would have such a discrepency between the sizes of their large bikes and am now worried my bike will be too small.

I asked the lad in the shop would the bike fit me and he said "ya thats the large one" but he was just a young fella so I dont necessarily trust him. Anyone have any advise? Is frame size the only thing that matters on the size of a bike or is there other factors too? I am 6ft 3, would a 54 cm frame be too small for me? I am new to cycling and am not au fait with these things. After all the hassle getting the cheque at work I really dont want to have to cancel my order

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

WAY too small. The employees at Halford's don't have a clue what they're talking about. I'm afraid you absolutely have to change that bike. 54cm might just about count as large for a woman's bike. You should probably be looking at 58cm-60cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stephendoyle

Definitely way too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The virtuoso is a "compact" sized frame.
    On their FAQ Halfords say, that this is equivalent to a "normal" 60cm frame.
    If this the case, and if you are a "regular 6'3", the large should be right for you.
    I hope, I haven't confused you, if I'm wrong, It won't be long until I'm corrected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The frame has a sloping top tube (called compact geometry), so the large one is roughly the same as a 58cm bike although the actual measurement from BB to top tube is much shorter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

studiorat wrote: »
    The frame has a sloping top tube (called compact geometry), so the large one is roughly the same as a 58cm bike although the actual measurement from BB to top tube is much shorter.

I am confuse. :confused:

Does everyone do this or just Halfords?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DMGACC

Wow that was fast. Cheers lads.

Still slightly confused though. Too small or not too small? I really really dont want the hastle of changing now and having to go back to work getting cheque changed but I suppose it be better than getting a bike thats too small!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The top tube isn't horizontal, it's higher at the front. I suppose the trend started in the late 90's and seems to be going out of fashion now.

According to Sheldon :
    Compact Frame

Traditional "road" frames have been built with level top tubes since the early 1900s. The influence of mountain and BMX bike design has led to the increasing popularity of frames with sloping top tubes, higher at the front.
    "Compact" road frames have sloping top tubes, and are intended to be used with a long seatpost. Compact frames are a little bit lighter than traditional ones, but this is partially offset by the weight of the longer seatppost. Some riders believe these frames are stiffer.

When the down tube and seat tube intersect directly above the front axle, as is usual with a road frame, weight loading only tensions the down tube and compresses the top tube. When the intersection is farther back than the axle, the bending loads on these tubes require the front end of the frame to be of stronger construction.

Manufacturers like compact frames because they are more versatile in terms of fit. Usually 3 or 4 sizes are enough to fit 98% of customers. This saves a lot of money for a manufacturer who doesn't need to deal with so many different sizes.

You'll have more seat post showing but the handle bar height should be the same as a 58cm bike or thereabouts. I'd be pretty sure it'll fit. If not there should be the same model in your size, you can simply get them to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DMGACC

Thats great. Thanks for your help lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If it feels a shade small, you could put a longer stem on or flip it so its raising the bars a bit.

Advertisement