Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheap large road bike advice needed

• 16-08-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭

HI.
    As i said in other post i used to be mountain biker, but at the moment i'm looking for road bike for myself (can be 2nd hand if not too old).
    I'm refraining from building it from scratch as i couldn't find reasonably cheap components to start with. preferable i would like to buy bike with good frame on cheap components to upgrade it gradually if possible but it is not a must at all

My budget is max around 600-700 e but i would rather spend around 300-400 if possible.

Im 187cm and 115kg use to have trek 1000 '08(in very big size 63?64cm? AFAIK biggest available) but i was stupid enough to sell it before ride it for real (made just few little trips maybe 200miles?).

i had quick look through websites and found only few bikes under 700e
    giant defy 4 in cycle superstore for around 700
    carrera TDF in halfords for 400e (is it worth something?)
    be one storm comp in crc for 636e (seems to be best choice?)

could someone recommend me :

a website/shop to look at (i already had a look on few advertising websites but most of the road bikes are 52-53cm).

correct size for me (inside leg around 88-90cm i guess 60 cm?)?

thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Have you looked into availing of the bike to work scheme if possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Have you looked into availing of the bike to work scheme if possible?

it would have to be cycling for dole in my case i'm affraid ;(
    this is main reason for looking for cheap bike (i can borrow some amount for a moment which is stretching my budget to 700e but this is it)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Had to convert to feet and inches.. You're only 6ft 1inch
    I'm 6'2 and ride a 58 Lapierre (it's the largest they make).
    Previous bike was a 60 Vitus.

Both were comfortable but definitely wouldn't go larger than the 60.

BeOne Storm looks like the best option to me
    Maybe the Boardman from Halfords? It's €809.99 but you can get a 15% AXA discount bringing it to €688
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_789261_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Decathlon bikes must be worth a look and can be bought on line,

http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/triban-5-170473715/

or

http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/triban-3-170478497/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

MarcinG, I'm picking up my new BtW bike this week so my current one (see here) is going to be relegated to spare/shed duty.

If you like to take/borrow it you are more than welcome. It'll need wheels but it'd fit you anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Idleater wrote: »
    If you like to take/borrow it you are more than welcome. It'll need wheels but it'd fit you anyway.

Very generous offer. (where's the thumbs up smiley?)

Both were comfortable but definitely wouldn't go larger than the 60.

i think i went for such a big trek for 2 reasons:
    lack of experience
    +on smaller ones in "bottom position" (sorry for my ignorance) i could touch my elbows by knees and thought this isn't ok (shop crew was suggesting smaller bike alright)

but maybe this sizing was a root cause of me selling bike ( i have big beer belly and found it uncomfortable to bend over if i ate anything) i believe smaller - shorter bike and i may not be that stretched?

BeOne Storm looks like the best option to me

thanks i'm 90% after it.

in the mean time i found " brand new road bike 2Danger" for 699 on adverts
    (on capagnolo veloce group + carbon fork)

Maybe the Boardman from Halfords? It's €809.99 but you can get a 15% AXA discount bringing it to €688

Whats the deal with axa discount? does it has to do anything with insurance?

Ps is this cheap 3xx euro bike from halfords worth something or should i forget it? I mean it is obviously a not top quality racing bike but with my weight and front area 1 or 2 kg aren't big deal i guess?
    I'm not pushing towards cheaper one just trying to wisely spend money.

MarcinG wrote: »
    but maybe this sizing was a root cause of me selling bike ( i have big beer belly and found it uncomfortable to bend over if i ate anything) i believe smaller - shorter bike and i may not be that stretched?

Not really. The problem going smaller on the frame size is that you have to extend the saddle so that your legs stretch properly. If you do extend the saddle to the same (say 72cm from the BB) on a (for example) "54" and "58" frame you will have to raise the handlebar 4cm further to the same handlebar position or drop 4cm extra creating more problems rather than removing them.

My bike that I offered is 58 I think and there is plenty of room on the fork to raise the bars to a comfortable level.

MarcinG, I'm picking up my new BtW bike this week so my current one (see here) is going to be relegated to spare/shed duty.

I did not expect something quite like it !
    Thank you.
    I'm interested in allright
    Can you tell me what is the condition of the cassette? Can it be still used? (I'm not too familiar with way the road equipment wears but on my mtb if one thing goes wrong i usually have to swap entire drivetrain (as old chain will not work on new cassette and chainrings)? - must say i usually was using low groups (LX max i ever had).

Is the bike still on the wheels or not?

I'm living in shankill (i'm currently away) will be back home next tuesday and i will be more than happy to have look at this bike (Where do you live?)

There is a 9 speed cassette (to match the 9 speed shifters) which is 105 I think - the rest of the groupset is duraace 7700. The wheels have pretty much given up the ghost now (the freewheel and bearings) but any wheels road wheels would work. I was looking at throwing a set of askiums on it but you'll pick up a set of wheels in the adverts section I'd say.

I'm in Lucan - can organise something if you'd like to meet up and take a look.

• Advertisement

Not really. The problem going smaller on the frame size is that you have to extend the saddle so that your legs stretch properly. If you do extend the saddle to the same (say 72cm from the BB) on a (for example) "54" and "58" frame you will have to raise the handlebar 4cm further to the same handlebar position or drop 4cm extra creating more problems rather than removing them.

My bike that I offered is 58 I think and there is plenty of room on the fork to raise the bars to a comfortable level.

I understand. Can you buy road stems with different (not variable don't trust them) angles to rise handlebar without need for longer steer tube on fork?
    I use to have quite sloppy position:
    cube.JPG
    but this was 6 years and over 30kg ago ;) i guess i wouldn't be able to ride such a bike just yet

There is a 9 speed cassette (to match the 9 speed shifters) which is 105 I think - the rest of the groupset is duraace 7700. The wheels have pretty much given up the ghost now (the freewheel and bearings) but any wheels road wheels would work. I was looking at throwing a set of askiums on it but you'll pick up a set of wheels in the adverts section I'd say.

I'm in Lucan - can organise something if you'd like to meet up and take a look.

ok thank you very much ! ;)
    i guess i may have look at those wheels first (i use to do plenty of tin and wire job around bicycles). if it comes to new ones crc has set for around 100euro with free delivery + I can replace hubs only (i use to build wheels) if only rims are sort of standard.
    Ok. i'll contact you on mon/tue and we will take it from there.

Advertisement