Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe insulation cost - Armaflex

Options
  • 16-08-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Right, now is as good a time as any to insulate the water / heating pipes up in the attic (I don't plan on tempting fate after getting away with it last year). Checked around this site and others and have decided to go with the Armaflex, even though it is costly, I plan to do this once and iirc there is not that much pipework up there (mix of 15mm and 22mm pipes).

The pipes out in the garage have this stuff on them and it seems to be doing a great job for many years.

Anybody have an idea of the cost of the Armaflex per 2m length (the self-sealing type) before the local plumbing stores "clap eyes on the novice".

I'd rather go with the self-sealing stuff as if I have to cut and seal the Armaflex myself, it might be worth spending a little bit extra, if that's all it costs. Insulating (upgrade) the attic itself is not an option at the moment due to funds, but it is on the cards in the future.

I'd like to have an idea before I go in there.

Thanks, druidhill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

well theres chaeaper and dearer.the black stuff is dearer but is a great insulation.if i was you id just get the grey stuff,,much cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

well theres chaeaper and dearer.the black stuff is dearer but is a great insulation.if i was you id just get the grey stuff,,much cheaper

Grey tubolite is much cheaper but IMO not as good. Infect I think if you go up thickness sizes to 25mm thick for 15/22mm pipe that tubolite works out more expensive. Can't remember the costs off the top of my head will check when I get to the office later. Armoflex (black stuff) 19mm thick could be about £6 for 2m for 15mm pipe and £8 for 22mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Grey tubolite is much cheaper but IMO not as good. Infect I think if you go up thickness sizes to 25mm thick for 15/22mm pipe that tubolite works out more expensive. Can't remember the costs off the top of my head will check when I get to the office later. Armoflex (black stuff) 19mm thick could be about £6 for 2m for 15mm pipe and £8 for 22mm.

Is this sterling or euro and is it the selfseal lengths. Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

sterling, no not self sealing, dunno if u can get that in armoflex? I cut mine with a knife then cable tie it once pipe inside. 15mm bore hole by 19mm thick is £2.52 per m (bought in 2m lengths) plus vat, up north, GBP. 22x19 is £3.27 per metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

Anyone know where I could get 35 mm armaflex in Ireland. It's online alright but they want 27e postage from across the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

irish international trading in cork is where i would get it , they have a good range of sizes , and thicknesses in the armaflex.

irish international trading in cork is where i would get it , they have a good range of sizes , and thicknesses in the armaflex.

Thanks outlast. Will they sell small amounts.

Could you PM me there details. Phone number, email, location

all you need for contact is on the website
    ya they will sell indivually they have a plumbing trade counter there but cash etc is accepted
    http://www.iitc.ie/

ya they will sell indivually they have a plumbing trade counter there but cash etc is accepted

Thanks OUtkast

Just looked at them on maps, are they down the road from musgrave park?

• Advertisement

ya the road is on one side of musgrave park , exactly on the same road is the main musgraves/supervalu depot and on the opposite end is Togher garda station .

Advertisement