Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fail 3rd year?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Anyone know what happens if you fail your final year (one or two modules).

Do you still get a cert of any kind to say you've wasted three years of your life passed everything before that??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

If you mean fail as in fail in the repeats as well then no, you get nothing unfortunately. You need to repeat those modules again, or one of your subjects the next year or perhaps the whole year again to try and pass. In Science you can take a level 7 degree if you fail in 4th year but for 3 year degrees in NUIM I'm not sure that's a possibility.

You still have your official transcripts though which indicate all modules and years you passed. But to be brutally honest, in the current climate I wouldn't even present a semi-completed degree at a job interview as you'd never get the job. There's too many people competing out there with degrees never mind incomplete ones.

My advice is to talk to the Academic Advisory Office people, talk to your departments and find out your options for next year. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kris44

Hmmm gosh darn.

Doesn't seem to be any way around it so. You're right, Ill have a chat with the Advisory office and see what they say. Hopefully theres some magic way out of it other than paying ten grand for the year (which wont happen)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

You won't have to pay the full fees, you'll only have to pay for each module you repeat :)

Well only if he repeats modules externally. If he internally repeats modules or subjects or the whole year he'll have to pay part fees or full fees depending on what he decides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Well only if he repeats modules externally. If he internally repeats modules or subjects or the whole year he'll have to pay part fees or full fees depending on what he decides.

I meant internally, they work it out on a per module basis, depending on how many credits they are, plus the registration fee obviously. :)

The only way you have to pay the full fees is if you repeat all subjects/modules for the year, otherwise it's discounted depending on the number of credits you take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Well if he wants to repeat externally, it costs the same as normal repeats and you just sit the exams you've failed when they come up in either January or May. Technically this means you can't go to the lectures again, but I've heard of some departments not minding if you turn up anyway.

Repeating internal means you just take the module again, lectures, CA and all then sit the exam. For this you only need to pay for the modules you have to repeat, which AFIAK depends on the amount of credits it's worth and the course. I repeated a few Math physics modules and it cost ~€400 for a 5 credit module. And on top of that I had to pay the usual levies and stuff.

But since this is concerning a final year, repeating more than 15 credits worth of modules or repeating a module twice means that you don't get an "honours" on your degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭locked_out

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    If you mean fail as in fail in the repeats as well then no, you get nothing unfortunately. You need to repeat those modules again, or one of your subjects the next year or perhaps the whole year again to try and pass. In Science you can take a level 7 degree if you fail in 4th year but for 3 year degrees in NUIM I'm not sure that's a possibility.

I understand where you are coming from, but your transcripts require a release with your own signature. Third Level educational records aren't publically accessible. What is to stop the OP from simply transferring/repeating with their own money and improving their predicament while simply brushing off the failed year if asked? I hardly beleive employers would ask for transcripts of a failed/deferred year. Enough info right there imo. If the OP has a 2.2/2.1/1.1 average for the first three years, is it really a big deal? Would make for a good turnaround story.

What you are suggesting would be akin to asking a Mature Student why they didn't finish their studies at 21. It's none of their business, really.

Em, ok. Except all your transcripts are printed on the one document and you can't hide the fact you failed to a prospective employer. Also, I'm not sure why you're addressing that to me because I didn't even really make that point...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I would definitely recommend repeating internally rather than externally if repeating is the plan. It doesn't look good to have to repeat your degree year so if you're going to do it, you want to make sure you give yourself every chance to get as high a mark as you can.
    Repeating internally means you'll have the same access to the faculty as the non-repeats do. As has been said, a lot of the time, they won't mind you sitting in on lectures and tutorials and they'll probably still be happy to help out but they'll still be required to prioritise the full-time students over those working externally.

Advertisement