Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad Monitor Set-Up

Options
  • 16-08-2011 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

I'm using the integrated graphics on an ASUS P8H67-M LE motherboard to run two 24" monitors.

If I add in a graphics card with two outputs will I then have four workable outputs? i.e. will the integrated graphics still be available after I install the card or is it a case of one or the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If it's anything like my AMD ASUS board, the PCIx GPU will override the Northbridge IGP and render it inoperable. It won't even be viewable under the Device Manager.

Having said that I don't believe I have tried to do anything with multiple monitors on this build, or for that matter play around between the MoBo DVI outputs and the GPU outputs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The Saphire 6770 Flex edition will allow up to four monitors, you would need to pickup an active display port adapter however to get them all working however (In eyefinity mode anyway, not absolutely certain if the adapter is nescessary to run four independent monitiors). Either way active adaptors are relatively reasonably priced nowadays at about 25-30 euros.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9842634/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-6770-flex-1-gb.html

5*770

Still a great card. The 6770 was essentially a reprint of the 5770 with a tacked on 3D display processor

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Facepalm, bit of a brain fart last night :o.

Obviously if you have no need for eyefinity the far cheaper option for four independent monitors would be dual HD6450 or something that if the two onboard outputs will not play nice with another single card.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Thanks for the info.

So using one card and the integrated graphics probably isn't a goer then? Hmm, I'm only gonna use it for poker not 3d gaming or any demanding stuff so I hoping to do it cheap/simple enough. I don't think I even have room on the board for two cards.

I can't remember the name of it but I've a device that adds a third monitor using a usb port, I might just have to stick to that.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info.

So using one card and the integrated graphics probably isn't a goer then? Hmm, I'm only gonna use it for poker not 3d gaming or any demanding stuff so I hoping to do it cheap/simple enough. I don't think I even have room on the board for two cards.

I can't remember the name of it but I've a device that adds a third monitor using a usb port, I might just have to stick to that.

TBH my problem with giving better advice is that I am reading conflicting reports as to whether or not is is possible to re-enable the onboard on a sandybridge H67 board when a discrete card attached (I was under the impression it wasn't). I have done a little more reading just there and interestingly I have see some places saying that the onboard gpu is reactivated if there is a monitor is attached, but I am not 100% certain if that is true or not.

If it is the case then I can't see any reason why four monitors wouldn't work. Anyone you can borrow a card off so you don't have to buy one without being sure?

Back in much simpler times motherboards used to just give you a bios option to turn onboard on or off as you pleased :).

TBH I would ask over on Overclockers.com - they have a frankly much more diverse community knowledge pool for these type of questions. I have an account over there for the tough questions ;) maybe they know how to tweak the BIOS to do it.

Got a slightly cryptic reply there!
    RGone wrote: »
    Since the forums are full of differing information on the question you ask it is best to go to the motherboard manual for your answer. That answer in their manual gives you recourse with the motherboard maker but possible hearsay will not hold water with the motherboard maker.

ASUS P8H67-M LE and manual E6188_P8H67_M_LE.pdf on page #45 and section 2. 5. 2 and Initiate Graphic Adapter has the information you seek.

But yeah I just had to tweak my mobo settings and there's an option to allow igpu and pci.

I had a spare card and monitor, and when I plugged it in it worked straight off the bat.

Thanks for the help!

I realised my network card uses my only pci-ex though, but is there still a decent passive pci card I could get?

You have your Network card in a full size PCIx slot or an x1 slot?

If it's taking up your full-size 8speed or 16speed slot, **** it out of there and replace it with a PCI network card. You won't find a decent PCI GPU anywhere.

Overheal wrote: »
    You have your Network card in a full size PCIx slot or an x1 slot?

If it's taking up your full-size 8speed or 16speed slot, **** it out of there and replace it with a PCI network card. You won't find a decent PCI GPU anywhere.

Silly me, didn't notice I had a x1 slot. Card's in there now.

Asus 512MB GeForce 210 HDMI Silent DDR2

This an ok card to go for? Just want a cheap passive card with two outputs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Soulful you better off buying 6850 which cam have 5 monitors and cut all the guessing?

It does not need super power psu and can be picked up for less then 150 quid.

It will be less stress, less software issues too.

Of you

If you don't mind me asking: why the hell you need 4 monitors?!

Silly me, didn't notice I had a x1 slot. Card's in there now.

Asus 512MB GeForce 210 HDMI Silent DDR2

This an ok card to go for? Just want a cheap passive card with two outputs.

Should be spot on. Since you have proved that the IGP and a discreet card can work together then any old card at all with 2 outputs will do the job. The cheaper the better :p

Decent card since you arent exactly trying to take over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

marco_polo wrote: »
    Facepalm, bit of a brain fart last night :o.

Obviously if you have no need for eyefinity the far cheaper option for four independent monitors would be dual HD6450 or something that if the two onboard outputs will not play nice with another single card.

Quick Question for you. Do both cards need to be in a PCIe 2.0x16 slot? Or will a x8 or x4 do for the second card? Obviously they need to be physically sized as a x16 but only wired for the above.

They will not be used in SLi or crossfire. Just used to run multiple displays.

Thanks.

Opinicus wrote: »
    Quick Question for you. Do both cards need to be in a PCIe 2.0x16 slot? Or will a x8 or x4 do for the second card? Obviously they need to be physically sized as a x16 but only wired for the above.

They will not be used in SLi or crossfire. Just used to run multiple displays.

Thanks.

No the PCIe slot doesn't matter at all. It would probably be slightly better if both cards were the same make AMD or Nvidia (not nescessarily same model) so you only have to install one set of drivers.

99.9% of the time mixing vendors will work just fine but there is aways a small chance of driver conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Much obliged MP thanks!

Advertisement