Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job regrets

Options
  • 16-08-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

OK Started a new job recently and moved to Dublin for it from Cork. Its a two year contract and pays alright, but now beginning to regret taking it and can't shake this from my head.

When I was in cork was working about an alright job but was getting stressed out from the hours I was having to do, and other things with my family and GF that were going on. Heard about a job going in Dublin and applied for it. Thought "Great, I'll get the pressure off me, paid better, claim my weekends back, training and everything will be great. Will get great experience!". The job came up as a guy is retiring soon. Anyway got offered the job and grabbed it straight await.

Now for about the last three months I've been regretting it as I think now that I took the new job to get away from the pressures I felt were around me at that point.

In my last job I was Five minutes from work, my family was close and my cost of living low. In Dublin now I seem to be at a desk most of the time just dealing with complaints, I spend nearly an hour and a half each day travelling and realise that now I spend more hours a week working and comutting for 5 days then I did for six where I was.

The pressures I felt in my last job have gone but replaced by new ones I didn't see. Bottom line I think I saw this new job through rose-tinted classes and didn't think about the big picture of the two years in Dublin and the implications of this.

Now I'm wondering should I just keep working away and finish out my contract even though I still have a year and a half to go working in Dublin? or should I hand in my notice now and try and find work in cork? Problem is then that by the time they find someone else to fill in the guy I'm replacing could be retired. What are the implications of handing in notice for a contract and what else am I not looking at here?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

There shouldnt be implications

Your contract should state your notice period. If not, go by the State listing of notice for jobs

Only thing I can see happening is they withhold holiday pay owed if you dont give enough notice

Contracts are more for the benefit of the company, ie they dont have to take you on permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think that at most you should try to find work in Cork - and only hand in your notice if you can find another job.

If you quit a job voluntarily, you won't be eligible for welfare for 9 weeks (or similar), and that will be yet a different set of pressures.

But really, I think you should stick it out. Job-hopping after only three months looks bad on the CV. And from reading your post a few times, I have a feeling that you'll experience pressures (just different ones) wherever you go. I know this sounds kinda mean, and I had hoped that someone else would jump in here and says something ... but I really thought it needed to be said when I read your post yesterday, and had the same gut feeling from it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

just reading your post and I agree with Justmary that every job comes with its own pressure weather they be within the job or external. They come from the fact that you have been doing the same thing for a few years and now you have to adjust.

I was the same. I had a great job, job went bust( v v long story) but I was in a routine that I had adjusted myself to.

Got a job in the same industry with similar responsiblities but was at nights and by god did I have some sit downs with myself and question my sanity in taking such a job. but me and my family(wife & kida) At the end I love the job and are now a valued member of staff but it took 6 months or more to bed in properly

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that you could also be suffering the trauma of moving from Cork to Dublin. Speaking as a native Corkonian, they are different cities with different vibes, and a fair amount of Cork people never settle in Dublin. They head back home when they can.

I suppose one question to ask is - what are your career options like in the Dublin job? Does it have the potential to take you somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

A new job can be tough to settle in to for anyone, and you've had a double whammy of moving away and starting a new job simultaneously.

Was your old job the only reason you left Cork? I'm not sure when you talk about 'pressures' if there was something else going on but either way you've made a decision to move, and you're really not in a bad situation right now. It might help to try and separate the two issues in your head - if the job you have now was in Cork would you enjoy it more, or is the job and the commuting not your thing no matter where it was? Also, viewing being in Dublin as a solely work-related thing won't help to settle in and adjust.

You have options but as JustMary and gerrycollins said if you can it's better to stick it out for now, and look for jobs closer to home in the meantime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement