Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question regarding stage progression

Options
  • 17-08-2011 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey everyone, I'm starting third year this september in UCD (hopefully). However I only got 45 credits in stage 2 since I failed 3 modules in semester 2 unfortunately due to difficult circumstances

So what's the deal? Do I stay in stage 2 and repeat the exams I failed this christmas while doing my stage 3 semester 1 modules (then progressing into stage 3 "officially" after I pass them)? I've heard people with similar stories doing this. Or does something else happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

i only got 40 credits in stage two and it says phase two registration not available. if you get less than 50 credits can you still go into your 3rd year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You need 50 credits to progress to the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

i got 40/60 credits in stage one however i can still do stage 2 modules in sept even though i officially wont be in stage 2 till after xmas? or would it be better just to repeat the module alone in sem1 in sept as i wouldnt have to pay the reg fee? if i was to do this when would i make up the modules frm stage 2 if i dont enter stage 2 till jan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 studious_stud

You need 50 credits to progress to the next stage.
    I'm aware of this but does this mean I still basically do third year modules and repeat the exams I failed this christmas? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Studious Stud indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

You repeat the exams you missed in Semester I and then in Semester II you go into Stage 3.

You still take the modules from Stage 3 in semester I, just you will have some from stage 2 aswell.

I don't know if its a resit or repeat. Depending on what you're registered for you may or may not have to go to the lectures / labs / tutorials for the repeat modules.

PS - I think where you will be in semester I is called stage X, but I don't know if that's an official term used by UCD.

I'm aware of this but does this mean I still basically do third year modules and repeat the exams I failed this christmas? :)

Your first task will be to complete the modules you need to finish the year. Some of those may be resits or repeats. It depends on your modules. You may be able to take modules from your next stage, but you should talk to your school and programme office about that. Some modules in your next stage may have your failed modules as pre-requisites.
    dublin daz wrote: »
    PS - I think where you will be in semester I is called stage X, but I don't know if that's an official term used by UCD.
    There's no such thing as a stage called stage x.

Its somewhere between stage 2 and 3 because on sisweb it won't show stage 3 until 50/60 credits have been successfully completed.

LUPE wrote: »
    Studious Stud indeed.
    :D
    You repeat the exams you missed in Semester I and then in Semester II you go into Stage 3.

You still take the modules from Stage 3 in semester I, just you will have some from stage 2 aswell.

I don't know if its a resit or repeat. Depending on what you're registered for you may or may not have to go to the lectures / labs / tutorials for the repeat modules.
    Your first task will be to complete the modules you need to finish the year. Some of those may be resits or repeats. It depends on your modules. You may be able to take modules from your next stage, but you should talk to your school and programme office about that. Some modules in your next stage may have your failed modules as pre-requisites.

Thanks for clearing this up for me guys. The modules all have resit exams in semester 1 so I assume that's all I'll have to do, then again I may be wrong

I'll go ahead and contact the programme office next week before registration just to make sure

• Advertisement

Its somewhere between stage 2 and 3 because on sisweb it won't show stage 3 until 50/60 credits have been successfully completed.

Believe me, there is no such thing. The stage you are talking about is still stage 2. You are just incomplete and carrying failed modules.

Best of luck, and with the rest of your studies too, Studious.

Thanks Parker Kent.

Best of luck, and with the rest of your studies too, Studious.

Thanks Parker Kent.
    You too :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Stage X was a thing for a year. Maybe 2. Then they stopped calling it that, and started calling it "still being in whatever stage it was you failed"

Thanks! I remember hearing people talking about stage x but wasn't sure what it was, or if it was official. Cheers.

Advertisement