Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN

Options
  • 17-08-2011 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Amateur at play here. I set up a VPN server on Windows 7 box. Can connect no probs with iPhone and laptop!

My question is this - how do I connect to something that is not the VPN host. For example, I have a NAS on the network. Can I access this from remote client without remote desktoping to the VPN host? Does the NAS need to be a VPN client to?

My VPN host's IP is 10.0.1.50 and it assigns clients 10.0.1.51~55. The NAS is 10.0.1.3.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Can you connect to Win7 from inside OR from outisde of your LAN !?

To test vpn ok,conect with laptop from inside and ping the nas ip address.
    then,repeat same process but from outside of LAN (from the internet)...
    If ping is ok,then map a network drive by using the IP address first and then you can try by device name,even if ip should be enough !

Make sure that all devices that needs vpn access has static ip address (you won't need an internal dns server).

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Yah... who needs DNS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

It works with the IP addresses! Thanks guys. Don't know what I was doing wrong before...probably typos.

Doesn't work with the computer domain names. Would a DNS server be the only way of solving this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

As long as you keep the IPs under control,with a map PC-to-IP,no real need of an internal DNS.
    I have a SBS2011 running in home,due to personal needs,but not really needed a full DNS...
    have fun.

Advertisement