Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Torch Worldwide?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Would an unlocked Blackberry Torch accept PAYG sim cards worldwide like any other unlocked phone or do Blackberry's need special data plans to work properly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If the device is unlocked you can use it on any network but...The devices need a thing called BIS (Blackberry Internet Services) which not all networks offer on pre pay. Vodafone, meteor, O2 and emobile all offer pre pay BIS for varying prices. I think O2 are probably the cheapest. Without BIS the device can only act as a calling and texting one. It needs BIS to be fully functional with data, apps and email

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cheers for that. I got a Nokia N8 2 days ago but it seems to be buggy as hell. It wouldn't sync my emails for about 12 hours. I just assumed I didn't have any until I checked on my laptop. I'm thinking of returning it today for another device.

I'm really only looking for a sturdy device that has email, txt and calls. I'll be using it travelling next year. I currently have an iPhone sim card in my N8. If I were to change to a Blackberry would my current sim card do the job or would I need to get a specific Blackberry card? If I have to get a new card with a new plan I might leave it as it's a company phone on a company account and since I'll be unlocking it before I head off in October and leaving the sim behind, it would be a waste.

Yes the sim would be fine. You can get the bis provisioned onto the sim when you decide what you want to do although It depends on the company plan you have and who you're with (network).

Yeah I might leave it then. We're with O2. Not sure what plan we have and don't want to increase mine for the sake of 2 months. Ah well.

the blackberry add-on is 15 euro on O2 and wont increase your contract. If you're on an advance plan with O2 they can provision your account with BIS and that wont increase your contract. If you're on a corporate plan you'd need to contact your business manager or o2 directly to enquire.

• Advertisement

I changed to a Blackberry in the end. Didn't get a Torch as it was €249 on my upgrade which was the same price as an iPhone 4 and sure if I was going to spend that I would've gotten the iPhone. I was talking to the guy in the shop and he agreed that for what I need for the next year ie text, calls, email, a Blackberry would do the job. I'll miss a proper smartphone but if I brought one away it would only get wrecked/broken throughout the year's travels.

I ended up getting the entry model 8520 in black. It'll take a bit of getting used to coming from an iPhone for the past 3 years but it does what it says on the tin. I got it for €69. I didn't need to change or add anything to my data plan. Apparently that was abolished a few weeks ago, or so I was told anyway.

It doesn't have 3G (the sales guy actually said it did even though I queried him on it) but sure I probably won't really be using the web while I'm away, just calls and texts mostly with the odd facebook message.

In the process of trying to set up my email accounts (quite tricky, I might have to give them a call).

Advertisement