Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

river slaney 4.5 pound brown trout

Options
  • 17-08-2011 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

hi a mate of mine got a large 4.5 pound brown trout on the slaney tonight and i was wondering does anyone no any taxidermists around carlow, he wants to get it stuffed as it a fish of a lifetime on the slaney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Why not just take a picture and release to fight another day??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Looks like it's too late for that now. I wonder when he finds out what it's going to cost will he think it's such a good idea?

This type of fish is the exact genetics that should be preserved. Pity.

I never fished the Slaney. Any Slaney Anglers here mind telling me is a Trout this size really a once in a lifetime fish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

slaneylad wrote: »
    hi a mate of mine got a large 4.5 pound brown trout on the slaney tonight and i was wondering does anyone no any taxidermists around carlow, he wants to get it stuffed as it a fish of a lifetime on the slaney

Congrats on a fine catch. Ignore the catch and release Nazi's I'm sure your friend has returned his share of fish, as have we all.
    If your stuck PM me, I know a Taxidermist in Co. Dublin,great work but it might be little out of your way.

I'm generalising but in my personal experience I find that the greatest advocates of C&R have killed a lot of fish in their day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Octopus wrote: »
    Congrats on a fine catch. Ignore the catch and release Nazi's I'm sure your friend has returned his share of fish, as have we all.
    If your stuck PM me, I know a Taxidermist in Co. Dublin,great work but it might be little out of your way.

I'm generalising but in my personal experience I find that the greatest advocates of C&R have killed a lot of fish in their day.

Yep, You are generalising, but I won't hold that against you!

Your defination of a Nazi is different to mine if you think the above posts fall under that title.
    I have no problem with an angler lawfully killing a Trout.
    If it were me though, for the pan 1 1/2 or 2 lb or so. I have no interest in stuffing a trout but each to their own, again I will ask: Is a Trout 4 1/2 lb that spectatular?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Catch and Release Nazis? :rolleyes:

I'm also interested to know is a 4.5lb brownie considered to be a "fish of a lifetime" on the Slaney? Really?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Because "he wants to get it stuffed as it a fish of a lifetime on the slaney"

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

A 4.5lb brownie would be a fish of a lifetime on the slaney IMHO. I've fished it since I was a child. The biggest I know of was around 3lb(and thats 12 years ago).

Stuffing is supposed to be seriously pricey. It would be worth asking in Murphy's tackle shop on tullow street if they know anyone who does it.

Right... what fly and what breaking strain was your buddy using? I normally use 2-3lb breaking strain, wouldnt of had a hope of landing that fish.

Dont take this the wrong way(still a fine fish) but the seatrout get darker the longer they are in the river. It might be a seatrout. Might be worth checking out before he goes through the considerable expense of having it mounted. Up the himself of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Wouldnt it be better to take a lot of pics and measurements and then send the details to one of those guys that makes the fish from a mould and paints it ? they look great and at least you get to eat the fish if you killed it, normal taxidermy methods waste the flesh.

price list

http://www.taxidermy-uk.net/fish/album_fish/fish_pricing_page.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

stylie wrote: »
    Wouldnt it be better to take a lot of pics and measurements and then send the details to one of those guys that makes the fish from a mould and paints it ? they look great and at least you get to eat the fish if you killed it, normal taxidermy methods waste the flesh.

price list

http://www.taxidermy-uk.net/fish/album_fish/fish_pricing_page.htm

WOW that is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

stylie wrote: »
    WOW that is expensive

:eek:

prob looking at a grand sterling to get it stuffed by those prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

cheers for the replies lads, he got sorted anyway, but its going to cost around €300-350. i'l c if i can get a photo off him to upload, you can tell the trout is definately an old fish and was probally heavier at 1 time, his head is massive in porportion to his body, still its a lovely fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

not the best photo off my phone and had to edit it so i could upload it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Octopus wrote: »

Yes, but that was before their final solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

I'm tempted to give Godwin a mention :P

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

slaneylad wrote: »
    not the best photo off my phone and had to edit it so i could upload it

Lovely brownie, there goes my seatrout theory.
    He must have been in the Slaney a long long time to get that big.

Go on...let us know what fly he was caught on:D and where of course

Advertisement