Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New owner, new problems

Options
  • 17-08-2011 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been working in the same place for 3 years now. I've never had any problems with my job until about this time last year, when we got a new owner. Let me clarify:
    -Unreliable hours. My hours are really unpredictable. Granted, I'm working shifts, but I used to go in at roughly the same time each day. In the past 3month my hours have also reduced. This would not bother me so much if the management didn't keep bringing in new people. It seems ridiculous to be giving the hours of reliable employees to trainees.
    -Ridiculous expectations. This new owner picks at everything and I mean EVERYTHING we do. To the point where a regular customer actually complained about him to headoffice. Why is he still in charge?
    -My holidays. And not just mine, I'm just speaking about my personal experience. In the past 12months I have requested just SIX days off. In each case, I came into work and found myself scheduled for that day (I always give at least a month's notice). When I went to management I had been conveniently 'forgotten', or this owner had told the shift manager I was not to get that day off. I requested these days off because I NEEDED them off. Either there's something important going on (such as a friends wedding), or I have booked flights somewhere (money I would never make back in a shift), yet I'm told only a week prior to the event that I have to work?? Is that even legal? In each case I've told managers that I simply can't work, but I'm afraid this new owner's going to hold it against me.
    What's the best way to deal with this guy? Should I talk to the other managers about him, or just go straight to headoffice? Has anyone else had to deal with anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is he an owner or manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

He's the owner. He only speaks to me through the managers though. Sorry if that was unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Franchise owner, unless I'm very mistaken.

You could complain to head office, but it's unlikely that they will be able to change him significantly. And it may backfire.

OP, a pragmatic approach would be to look for a job in a different branch - is this possible? It might be that he's decided he doesn't like the staff from before he took over, and is working on annoying 'em all into leaving.

Advertisement