Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards page loading speed

Options
  • 17-08-2011 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I posted on this before but I don't think it ever made much headway. The issue with loading times is this...

boards.ie pages load first
    Then we have to wait for
    t.bmmetrix.com
    b-static.net
    google-analytics.com
    b.scorecardresearch.com etc etc

So yes the page loads initially quickly enough. But it does not get fully parsed until all the other stuff above has loaded. This is a big problem if you link to a boards page and bookmark to a certain position on that page. The page loads but it can take anywhere from 5 - 15 seconds to jump to the bookmark.

Practical example #1:
    You are reading a particular boards page. You click a link on it which brings you to another page. After reading that, you then hit your browsers back button. Browser goes back as boards.ie page is reloaded, but it takes an age for it to resume the position from which you left it. Extremely annoying and goes against usability fundamentals.

Practical example #2:
    I have a busy ongoing thread that I update regularly. I post links to the latest update on my facebook page. The link is usually a bookmark; i.e. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=nnnn#postnnnn.

People click my FB link, get to boards.ie where my page loads, BUT they are left wondering what they are meant to be looking at. After sometime (5-15 seconds), the page finally juimps to the correct position/bookmark. Only a few patient / techy / regular users know to wait. Now I know I could post a direct link to the individual post # as in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=nnnn&postcount=n but then my visitors only see my post in isolation, most do not have a clue that they can click a "view entire post" link.

So, is there anyway you can make boards pages load fully and be parsed fully and quickly before you invoke the bean counters?

I hope this post makes sense and that I am explaining myself clearly. Please don't anyone come back to me claining bandwidth issues or issues at my end. I have very fast bb. I have also tried and demonstrated the issue from other locations and other peoples computers / accounts etc. My own machines are clean as whistles, (ex IT bod etc), new and powerful.

Thanks for reading

d
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Not a technical error.

Moved from Help Desk to Feedback with redirect expiring in 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Shield wrote: »
    Not a technical error.

Moved from Help Desk to Feedback with redirect expiring in 7 days.

Are we sure this is not technical? And what does "with redirect expiring in 7 days mean" ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's not a techincal error. It's functioning as designed. Your feedback may be taken on board if possible. The link from the Help Desk which directs people to this thread will be automatically removed in 7 days.

Shield wrote: »
    It's not a techincal error. It's functioning as designed. Your feedback may be taken on board if possible. The link from the Help Desk which directs people to this thread will be automatically removed in 7 days.

My post is not feedback as such. I am reporting a usability error. Usability being an IT discipline (HCI etc). But look, I'm not arguing with you, just making the point. Many thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its not really a usability error either, as it barely (if even) effects the user. Its not a crticial error, so would be best suited for Feedback where the developers can consider improving the speed.

• Advertisement

It's very much a usability error, I'm talking about usability in the computer science sense. Its like pressing a remote control and having to wait a long time before the TV starts to react. It's one of the fundamentals of usability: - Interface feedback.

Here's a video I just made. It was awkward to make, trying to hide peoples names etc but it shows the issue. User clicks a link on facebook. Boards.ie loads the page, but then look doen bottom left at statusbar, we have to wait for all the beancounters. Only then when we are finished does the boards.ie page jump to its bookmark.

In this case the facebook link pointes to an update called "day 43". But an older "day 42" update lives at the top of the page. So my users are clicking my link, then they are presented with what they think is an old link. Some are giving up, I've even had one msg me pto tell me that day 43 is missing and that my link points to an old update.

Please also bear in mind my earlier point about page navigation (back button in browser). This site is now getting very awkward and annoying to use. Clicking the back button and then several seconds later, the pages jumps back to its original position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not much to add, but that is a fantastic thread dnme and I'd recommend anyone read it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dnme wrote: »
    It's very much a usability error, I'm talking about usability in the computer science sense. Its like pressing a remote control and having to wait a long time before the TV starts to react. It's one of the fundamentals of usability: - Interface feedback.

Here's a video I just made. It was awkward to make, trying to hide peoples names etc but it shows the issue. User clicks a link on facebook. Boards.ie loads the page, but then look doen bottom left at statusbar, we have to wait for all the beancounters. Only then when we are finished does the boards.ie page jump to its bookmark.

In this case the facebook link pointes to an update called "day 43". But an older "day 42" update lives at the top of the page. So my users are clicking my link, then they are presented with what they think is an old link. Some are giving up, I've even had one msg me pto tell me that day 43 is missing and that my link points to an old update.

Please also bear in mind my earlier point about page navigation (back button in browser). This site is now getting very awkward and annoying to use. Clicking the back button and then several seconds later, the pages jumps back to its original position.

Sorry, I studied HCI and I wouldn't have applied it but seeing the video, I see your point. For me, those extra loading links are not effecting the time it takes to load the site in full. For you, it is and probably others so.

Iv also found the "Back" VERY slow, but assumed it was my connection.

Saying all that, the mods are reporting countless times to the Dev Team that the site is VERY slow and dropping like a hat, but as of yet, there doesn't seem to be an answer or a solution. I can only assume that they are working on it.

Communication isn't Boards strong point :)

Sully wrote: »
    Sorry, I studied HCI and I wouldn't have applied it but seeing the video, I see your point. For me, those extra loading links are not effecting the time it takes to load the site in full. For you, it is and probably others so.

You may then be familiar with Nielsen's heuristics. No.1 states that the system shall keep users updated about what is going on through "feedback" in a timely manner. Bear in mind this is his No.1 of a long list. That's what I'm talking about.

Again I do not wish to argue but I find that you are making me struggle to make my point. The site has a usability problem. I have demonstrated it through examples and video. Could you just take my post on board, accept it and lets see what we can all do to solve this issue and make boards.ie once again responsive and a pleasure to use for its users.

Many thanks

• Advertisement

The mods were told this evening that they are aware of the problem, know the cause, but its not an easy fix and are working on a solution. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Also, the reason this doesnt belong in "Help Desk" is that you arent asking for help... Help Desk is for users who are saying "Help, I dunno how to make XYZ work, could someone tell me". Your post (and its a very fair point) doesnt fall into that catagory and Spear and Shield cant help you so they kicked it to somewhere where someone who MIGHT be able to help would see it.
    (Hope that explains things).

As it is the techs know of this and are looking into it, lets see what they come back with and if I can I'll communicate more about it tomorrow.

DeV.

Many thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Very good post dnme. I know what your saying about it lingering on the wrong post very frustrating at times specially someone like me were I take one glance and hit the back button in seconds if i don't see wat I want. Just cause I have one million and one things to catch up on. Hope the team solve the problem. If not seek IBM after all there building a human computer. Otherwise that newish internet 4 or5 might be the key. :pac: hope Ye solve it

Advertisement