Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does all my stuff go together?! And other stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Windows 7 German is €10 cheaper.
    You can download an English disc and use the license key you get with the German version.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28239

The Freezer Pro 7 is out of stock, maybe divert funds to the Freezer Pro 13.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49255
    This will definitely be a lot quieter than the stock.
    They probably won't install it at HWV. I've installed the freezer pro 7 with an AMD system. It wasn't too bad - I remember swearing at it because I kept dropping screws or something. It was a little difficult, but not because I didn't know how to do it. The intel install looks a bit harder... longer to do anyway, but you usually just need to follow the instructions carefully, have a bit of patience and maybe someone with long, thin fingers if you run into trouble!

As for the GPU, what do you mean by a "little" gaming? Any samples of what you intend to run? Minesweeper? Half-life 2? Crysis 2?

If you're looking for areas to save money - you could save €10 with the P67 version of the board. Both allow for overclocking but the Z68 will allow for integrated graphics - Maybe the integrated graphics would cover you until you have a bit more money? It would be good enough for older games - even source engine games would run well, I'd say.
    You could also save €10 by going with the 450W amazon PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Thank my post!

Monotype wrote: »
    Windows 7 German is €10 cheaper.
    You can download an English disc and use the license key you get with the German version.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28239

The Freezer Pro 7 is out of stock, maybe divert funds to the Freezer Pro 13.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49255
    This will definitely be a lot quieter than the stock.
    They probably won't install it at HWV. I've installed the freezer pro 7 with an AMD system. It wasn't too bad - I remember swearing at it because I kept dropping screws or something. It was a little difficult, but not because I didn't know how to do it. The intel install looks a bit harder... longer to do anyway, but you usually just need to follow the instructions carefully, have a bit of patience and maybe someone with long, thin fingers if you run into trouble!

As for the GPU, what do you mean by a "little" gaming? Any samples of what you intend to run? Minesweeper? Half-life 2? Crysis 2?

If you're looking for areas to save money - you could save €10 with the P67 version of the board. Both allow for overclocking but the Z68 will allow for integrated graphics - Maybe the integrated graphics would cover you until you have a bit more money? It would be good enough for older games - even source engine games would run well, I'd say.
    You could also save €10 by going with the 450W amazon PSU.
    Hi Mono,:) thanks for suggestions,

Gamewise...Elderscrolls and abit of Halflife, doesn't have to be eyebleeding FPS...to be honest I rarely have time for them..I really want something that will make light work of editing 1080p Movies, I think the 6450 should do with hardware acceleration enabled??

Is that the cheapest decent cooler I can get?

Would I have got away with 450W? The spec for the Radeon 6770 does say 450W or greater, but I thought I would have being pushing it with all the other components?

I picked the Z68 because the 6770 doesn't seem to have a VGA port in the HWVS pics, I have a pretty decent Monitor that only has that connector that I may need to use at some stage so I need to have one of them. Don't want the hassle of looking for adapters.

Anyone any idea about recording TV to the harddrive?

Half-life 2 would run on the integrated graphics at 720p. Settings turned down a bit in the later games, e.g., portal 2. Morrowind run easily on that too (settings at full).
    If it's TES oblivion, It would be quite playable 6450 with a few things turned down. Skyrim though, could do with a bit more power I'd say. You'd want at least the 6770 for around the 1080p resolution. It might run on the 6450 but it won't look nice and you'll have to have nearly everything at minimum.

They say 450W because people buy crappy PSUs. The SF Amazon is good quality. You'd have room for the 6770 easily and overclocking.

Processing power and RAM is what most programs want for editing video - at least on the encoding side. The integrated graphics will play 1080p without problem. Unless you if you have several playing at the same time or are dealing with very high resolutions, your GPU won't do much work for you except displaying what you see. You'd have to look into how your software works.

I think the Freezer Pro 13 looks good for a quiet cooler. I wouldn't go below the Freezer Pro 7. An alternative to the freezer pro 7 is the CM TX3.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28326

I think for tv use, you'll need a tuner card? I'm not sure about this as I haven't done this... at least not in a modern PC.

You could just get a VGA adapter for your card.

LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray Brenner Retail
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX
    Rechner - Zusammenbau
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro (changed)
    Super Flower Amazon 80plus 450 Watt (changed)
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)
    German windows
    Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz
    Sapphire RADEON HD 6450 (changed)
    ASUS PCE-N10

Ok, changed few things. Thanks for helping me out.:)

Just thinking there, the only real broadband option I have (at the moment anyway) is the mobile dongles so I can probably drop the wireless Asus....

Will there be much difference is the noise levels, by having the Cooler?

Your sure that the 450W is capable of running the 6770 and overclocking?? Would the 550W have being any harm or just a waste of electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray Brenner Retail
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX
    Rechner - Zusammenbau
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro (changed)
    Super Flower Amazon 80plus 450 Watt (changed)
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)
    German windows
    Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz
    Sapphire RADEON HD 6450 (changed)
    ASUS PCE-N10

Ok, changed few things. Thanks for helping me out.:)

Just thinking there, the only real broadband option I have (at the moment anyway) is the mobile dongles so I can probably drop the wireless Asus....

Will there be much difference is the noise levels, by having the Cooler?

Your sure that the 450W is capable of running the 6770 and overclocking?? Would the 550W have being any harm or just a waste of electricity?

don't quote me on it, but you could probably crossfire 2 of the 6770s comfortably on that 450W ;) it'll do fine.

• Advertisement

Is there much benefit between GDDR5 and DDR3?

What's the story with HWVS not working at night??:mad:

Hardwareversand just sometimes doesn't work no matter what time. Maybe they only paid for 23 hours of hosting and that hour is randomly taken off.

The GDDR5 card is likely to be capable of higher memory clocks. Here's a comparision. It does very well against the 6450 GDDR3. The one from hardwareversand is 625MHz on the core and 800MHz on the memory - slower than the one in the review, but you can overclock to match.
    http://alienbabeltech.com/main/the-battle-of-the-htpc-cards-galaxys-gt-520-vs-hd-5450-gddr5-vs-gddr3/33

If you want to get a 550W PSU, go ahead. It won't waste electricity much - i.e., it won't draw 550W. You might lose a couple of cents every year due to not picking the optimum PSU for your needs but that's negligible in this case (more of an issue if you were to pick a 1KW PSU) as PSUs are most efficient around centre loads.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Whoa! I thought that was just my ISP!

Does that mean half the Interwebs really is in bits this week? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Is there much benefit between GDDR5 and DDR3?

Solitaire wrote: »
    Whoa! I thought that was just my ISP!

Does that mean half the Interwebs really is in bits this week? :eek:

UPC? they've been balls for me for about the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

UPC here too, but HWVS does go down sometimes for me too, but when it does it usually doesn't work with my meteor phone either while on mobile internet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Burgo wrote: »
    UPC? they've been balls for me for about the last week.

Nope, Net1. First Google Group went tits up, then they had a big outage across much of the region, then after I came back online half the web was screwed up, but the other half (including Boards) was fine. Thought it was Net1 having server issues but if everyone else is suffering... :confused::eek:

HWVS seems to be working today btw :)

At least I'm not getting any 503 errors here this week. The past month had been very bad.

Ok, something here ain't compatible, that's the warning HWVS give me when I tried to install the Cooling Freezer anyway, it lets me put in the CM TX3 but under compatibility it doesn't list socket 1155, does it need that?. And there's only one Asus left.....:mad::confused:....:(I think I'll get a Dell. To much of a worry with this I think.

You can install 1156 fans to 1155 sockets. If you're looking for them to build it, they often don't install fans as they can be too much weight on the board when shipping.
    If you need help, there's a thread with a list of people who are willing to give it and you might find one in your area. Some heatsinks can be tricky, just keep calm and patient and you'll have your system running in no time.

Just pick a different wireless card.
    You have PCI and PCI-E x1 slots on that board so you can get either kind. They pretty much all do the same job if you pick a speed.

It wouldn't surprise me if dell charged €1K for that. I think you should hold out and not worry.

Did you want a tv card?

Monotype wrote: »
    You can install 1156 fans to 1155 sockets. If you're looking for them to build it, they often don't install fans as they can be too much weight on the board when shipping.
    If you need help, there's a thread with a list of people who are willing to give it and you might find one in your area. Some heatsinks can be tricky, just keep calm and patient and you'll have your system running in no time.

Just pick a different wireless card.
    You have PCI and PCI-E x1 slots on that board so you can get either kind. They pretty much all do the same job if you pick a speed.

It wouldn't surprise me if dell charged €1K for that. I think you should hold out and not worry.

Did you want a tv card?
    Hey again!

Found a installation vid for the CM TX3

looks easy enough.

Should I get a better one like your Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro I was looking at Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 From the configuator list?

big difference in noise there....or is the CM TX3 fine?:confused:

Found a good site for rating coolers, Tweaktown.com

The Asus is back in stock,:) I'm not great with computer specs/slots at all, I'm only reading up this last week or so, It can be tricky to find cards that are 802.11b/g/n with the bgn at the end, they have to have that, yes? And that are Windows 7 compatible.

Does the TV Tuner need to be MPEG 4/MHEG-5 for it to work right? I don't have sky so this would be handy.

For anyone that hasn't noticed when your looking at an item on HWVS....the second black bar with "Erweiterte Beschreibung" wrote on it...translated means "Extended Description", click it for great descriptions.

This would have saved me lots of googiling if I had spotted this earlier:rolleyes:

Don't worry too much about it saying that it's Windows 7 compatible. If it has Vista, that's fine too. n wireless is new so any card with it would be very likely to work with 7.

I think I remember reading that the xtreme wasn't great. Go for TX3 or Freezer 13.
    Either the TX3 or Freezer 13 will definitely show an improvement over the Intel heatsink. Note that the video is an installation with an AMD CPU and board so the steps might be different for the Intel.

Frostytech does a good comparison of CPU heatsinks. The Freezer Pro 13 is quite new so there aren't many reviews, but tweaktown have one.

It can be hard to get a direct with different setups across the tests, but you can get an idea of relative positions.

As for tv cards, I don't know about them, maybe you should ask in the Home Entertainment forum and someone might have a better idea.

Will do, thanks for all the help Monotype!

Advertisement