Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ouch me toes!

Options
  • 17-08-2011 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi there- I am not sure if I am doing something wrong I keep cutting my toes on the edge of surfboard (yes total newb here). I cant manage gripping with booties on at all.Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,498 ✭✭✭✭ted1

taake off the booties, no need for them this time of year....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

Thanks -sorry I wasn't clear- I don't wear booties as I cant grip with them so just bare feet but my toes are getting cut.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

lizgal wrote: »
    Thanks -sorry I wasn't clear- I don't wear booties as I cant grip with them so just bare feet but my toes are getting cut.

How are they getting cut exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I thought you were talking about a problem I had this year in that I stubbed both of my big toes on the sea bed and 4 months later they still hurt if I bang them off something!

Being a relative newbie myself the only advice I can offer is that you should try and hop straight up onto your feet. When I was a beginner I had trouble with dragging my feet across the board while getting up. Practice has made it a little easier though.

Thanks- that's the prob. I think Im dragging my feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

dermo909 wrote: »
    I thought you were talking about a problem I had this year in that I stubbed both of my big toes on the sea bed and 4 months later they still hurt if I bang them off something!

Being a relative newbie myself the only advice I can offer is that you should try and hop straight up onto your feet. When I was a beginner I had trouble with dragging my feet across the board while getting up. Practice has made it a little easier though.

Had that too, just have to get on with I'm afraid, it's the cord of the leash scraping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I know its kinda lame but I've taken to wearing booties all-year round. After various cuts from rocks and weever stings I figure I'm better off "wearing protection" despite the drawbacks.

OP if you don't want to wear booties I suppose your only other option is to be conscious of avoiding foot/board contact til you are standing up, as others have said.

yes Ive suffered weever stings too- can you recommend light weight booties?

I use 5mm split-toe rip curl boots. I'd say try on a few pairs in a shop, make sure they are a snug fit and go with whatever is comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Have to say I struggle to surf bear foot, I tend to graze the skin off just below the knuckle of the foot and it gets inflamed.

Trying to man up ever seems to help...

• Advertisement

yes i am surprised that noone has invented some kinda decent water proof plasters!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

If you want to avoid weaver fish, stay out of the shallows / shore break. They prefer to be in the whitewater areas in relatively shallow water.

Hate hate hate booties, will wear them for at most a month or so of the year the last few years, when you are in the water you are fine, the water never really drops that low in temp. It is the walking to the water and back again that can be the coldest when there is frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Surfing barefoot is nice, ive done it everytime while surfing abroad but I wear booties all year around in Ireland. It's just way less hassle all round...never have to worry about weaver fish, glass and most importantly the cold. I just wouldn't like a session to be cut short because my feet get too cold. Just stick em on and never worry!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I slways keep mine on too, my feet are really sensitive :(

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Outside of the winter months there is no excuse for booties.

I feel differently after spending months limping around on a cut that wouldn't heal. Torn neoprene is preferable to torn skin.

yes very true! weever stings not good either!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I always wear boots too because I like being nice and warm :)

I also hate standing on things that suddenly move or squirm away under my feet. Makes the walk from the car park a little easier too as they're nice and cushioned from the rocks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

It might take a bit of time to get used to having booties on, but after a while you wont even notice them anymore. I wear them all year around as well cause i absolutely hate seaweed and it even makes me cringe with boots on.
    I tend to plaster my board with wax and rough it up regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Hate wearing them, gloves and hat too. Has to be done though I suppose in certain months.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Hockey hurts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Was lucky I didn't cut my achilles tendon when I sliced my heel wide open with a fin cut. If I had been wearing boots I wouldn't have been out of the water for 6 months...

Also some of the breaks I surf have horrific long exits over pick marked mussle covered reef beds, impossible to get out bare foot, honest:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

i just rubbed vaseline on my feet, on the tops obviously. Stopped the wax burning my skin from rubbing it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Convinced, used by seasoned surfers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Machew

Booties shmooties haha most awkward things invented. Yes they do keep ur feet warm but 10mins without them ur feet will go numb and u wont feel any cuts to ur brittle little feet. Plus getting out of them after I believe u nearly do more damage to ur feet. But that's just me I would walk around barefoot all day.

For your problem op try stripping and changing ur wax regularly. Sand tends to stick to it and when ur dragging ur toes along it, it will hurt!

Advertisement