Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Recommendations?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if any of you have any particular recommendations for a watch. Was thinking of getting a smart phone to use for pace/routes but think I'd prefer the flexibility of a watch (don't really bother with mp3 at the moment, so don't think I'd be bothered carrying a phone).

Is there any particular module that is better, and what are the main differences? Looking for a cheap enough one at the moment, but should I spend a little extra? Where is the best place to buy? And at the moment I only really want it for pace and mileage for novice training for DCM but should I get one with hrt monitor for down the line?

Thanks a mill for any advice in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The obvious candidate for you is the Garmin 305. Its stg115 on Amazon at the moment.

It has every feature you should need for marathon training. It comes with a HRT. Personally, I use pace for training not HR, but once you have it, you can use it if you want.

THe more expensive Garmins ( 310xt, 405 etc) have more features for triathletes, or advanced features, but I cant think of a feature that your average runner needs that the 305 doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I have one and its very good. Problems with it are: Doesn't do laps/splits automatically. pace per mile aint super accurate. Some of the better ones work out an average which makes more sence. I got one as paying 3 times more for the above didnt make sence and it still doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

rom wrote: »
    I have one and its very good. Problems with it are: Doesn't do laps/splits automatically. pace per mile aint super accurate. Some of the better ones work out an average which makes more sence. I got one as paying 3 times more for the above didnt make sence and it still doesnt.

Not sure what lap feature you are talking about, with the 305 you can set auto-lap for 1m or 1km or any distance and it will record the time / pace for each lap.

It can tell you the current pace, average pace for this lap, or average pace for the entire run so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭boost creep

huskerdu wrote: »
    The obvious candidate for you is the Garmin 305. Its stg115 on Amazon at the moment.

It has every feature you should need for marathon training. It comes with a HRT. Personally, I use pace for training not HR, but once you have it, you can use it if you want.

THe more expensive Garmins ( 310xt, 405 etc) have more features for triathletes, or advanced features, but I cant think of a feature that your average runner needs that the 305 doesn't have.

what features for triathletes does the 405 have that the 305 doesn't? i use my 305 for training on the bike and running and it's ideal for the job, plus you can customise the screen to show up to 4 data fields, which comes in very handy on the bike, the 310xt has the advantage though as it is compatible with a powermeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

what features for triathletes does the 405 have that the 305 doesn't?
    Ehh.. It's lighter and more aerodynamic.. That's about it!
    The 305 has longer battery life, fits more data fields on screen, and I belive supports multi-sport, so the 305 would be a better buy for a triathlete than a 405. Also you save some money, so can afford more 'aero bits' for your bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i'm waiting for the 305 to be delievered to me. I've looked up a lot of stuff on-line and it seems the 305 is the best in terms of value. the 110 is a smaller watch with a lot of the features of the 305, but is more expensive and it is missing one major feature the 305 has (totally forgotten what it is now).
    My cousin has the 305 and does a lot of tri training and loves it too.

Problems with it are: Doesn't do laps/splits automatically.
    Yes it does.
    pace per mile aint super accurate.
    It's as accurate as any of the other watches.
    Some of the better ones work out an average which makes more sence.
    305 offers the same features as the other ones. I think you need to have a flick through the manual. What you might need to do (as Huskerdu has suggested):
    1) Set up the watch to lap every 1 mile.
    2) Change your data field from 'pace' to 'pace-lap'.
    Then you will get the average pace for the entire lap (a mile) which will average out and spikes or troughs.

miller82 wrote: »
    i'm waiting for the 305 to be delievered to me. I've looked up a lot of stuff on-line and it seems the 305 is the best in terms of value. the 110 is a smaller watch with a lot of the features of the 305, but is more expensive and it is missing one major feature the 305 has (totally forgotten what it is now).
    My cousin has the 305 and does a lot of tri training and loves it too.
    The 110 is missing a lot of features that that the 305 (and 405, 310xt etc.) have. It's designed to be as simple as possible, e.g. 'Press start and go'. The other watches support things like:
    1) A range of selectable data fields
    2) Simple and Advanced workouts
    3) tracks
    4) Intervals
    5) Bread-crumb trails/location bearings
    6) Real-time as well as average pace
    7) Connectivity to additional ANT+ devices
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Thanks guys, a lot of excellent and very helpful info. Think I'm sold on the 305 and am looking forward to getting one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

Just bought a 305 for myself today, got it from Amazon for stg£97 including free delivery. Can't wait to start using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Buck wrote: »
    Just bought a 305 for myself today, got it from Amazon for stg£97 including free delivery. Can't wait to start using it.

What??? :rolleyes: Paid 115 last wednesday from amazon. Ah well! Looking forward to getting it now though, think it's due in next day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

Mr abbey wrote: »
    What??? :rolleyes: Paid 115 last wednesday from amazon. Ah well! Looking forward to getting it now though, think it's due in next day or two.

Yep. Jumped on it when I saw it. :D
    Maybe this should be on the bargain alert thread too ???

Buck wrote: »
    Yep. Jumped on it when I saw it. :D
    Maybe this should be on the bargain alert thread too ???
    It's been that price for around a year now (with slight fluctuations for changing exchange rates).

Advertisement