Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do & Places to eat Donegal Town

Options
  • 17-08-2011 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am hitting to the North west this weekend with the missus and would appreciate recommendations for things to do and places to eat. Would like to go for some grub Saturday night in a good decent restaurant. Not necessarily fine dining but wholesome grub. We both like seafood but are open minded on other options (Chinese, Indian).

Thanks

Finisklin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

'The Harbour' on Quay Street, across from the Tourist Office, does a bit of everything, seafood, steaks, pizza, chicken, etc. Really good food, nothing fancy.

'The Castle' on Tirconnell Street, although have never eaten there my self, always gets good reviews.

'La Bella Donna', on Bridge Street, down the hill from The Castle, does Italian.

If its Chinise your after, 'Kings Court' on Main Street is excellent.

If your about the next morning, or any time of day for the that mater, 'Lindas' in Main Street car par does the best all day breakfasts plus a huge range of lunches, sandwiches, snacks, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Thanks for that. We're staying in Harvey's Point, is the restaurant recommended? Good grub?

Any good seafood resturants outside of Donegal town - Killybegs etc? Goin for a spin Saturday so thinkin of a nice oyster lunch with Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Some good info here - see post no.'s 1 and 8 in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

chandpur - indian

manhattan steakhouse http://manhattan-steakhouse.com/menu.html
    (steak n stuff in barbeque sauce)

thai restaurant in the central
    edit -as for harveys havent eaten there in ages
    but it was always good
    menu - http://www.harveyspoint.com/dining/default.asp?id=13

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭elaine.rodger

Hey!

If your looking for good seafood you should try Castle Murray, its down in St. Johns Point on the way to Killybegs. Its lovely maybe a wee bit expensive but it is definitly worth it. I have ate in it once(and I live around the area)and it was lovely and I would def go back again. Even if didn't go into it, its a lovely drive down St. Johns Point.

http://www.castlemurray.com/site/index.aspx?ID=1 Hope the link works, check out the menu for the lunches will give you an idea of what they have on, a lot of seafood!

Hope you's have a nice weekend and get good weather! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Was in Harvey's point Sunday week ago, had fish n' chips @ €15.50...:eek: deffo not worth it, have eaten better from local chippers.

As mentioned earlier, Castle Murray has a very good local rep, haven't eaten there in a while myself to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Bar food in the Lough Eske Solis is good also the the Salmon leap is good Smugglers creek is great for seafood try the platter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am trying to book a table for Castlemurray for Saturday night...no reply on the phone, seems disconnected, but may be busy.

Will report back on the experience!

Thanks again,

Fini

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Food in the Central Hotel has supposedly improved, though I can't vouch myself.

Also worth considering would be Ard na Breatha restaurant, though bit more expensive.

Also, Village Tavern in Mountcharles gets good reviews, though not sure how good with regards seafood.

WRT Lindas: it's closed Sunday's so no good for the day after! Toni's Bistro would have to make do in that situation for similar food and I think Toni's is quite good, if a little cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

The Harbor Restaurant is about the best place to eat in Donegal at the minute you will not be disappointed all food is top class and staff are really helpful and friendly also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

byte wrote: »
    Also, Village Tavern in Mountcharles gets good reviews, though not sure how good with regards seafood.

Ate there a few times and the seafood is amazing

Just back from our weekend away to Donegal town. Fantastic weekend in Harvey's Point. The hotel is stunning, the room and accomodation wing was luxurious. Our room was 850 sq feet, plenty of space! We ate in the restauant on the Saturday night, three course dinner for €55. It was very good and what made it was the friendly and helpful waiting staff. In fact, the hospitality at the hotel overall was excellent. Every staff member we passed said hello!

Only gripe was that when we arrived we had the chowder. At €8 a pop I was looking forward to a real bowlful. It tasted great but was still hungry for more!

Went to Castlemurray on the Firday night. Brillant grub in a really atmpospheric dining room with a lot of character and atmosphere. The lobster starter was excellent. The seafood grill with different types of seafood -monk, scallop, turbot and cod was excellent. Mrs finisklin had scallops and they were kings and perfectly cooked. Definitely worth the recommendation. Thanks for the pointer!

Had lunch on the Saturday in the Castle Bar - really busy and the chowder and half club sandwich deal went down a treat. Mrs finisklin had the mussels and these were perfect.

Overall, thumbs up for grub in donegal town and thanks for the help in making it a gourmet weekend!

Advertisement