Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling colleague who cannot have children

Options
  • 17-08-2011 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've been on holidays for a few weeks and am due to return to work on sept 1st - i'll be 18/19 weeks so no chance of keeping it quiet.;) the thing is, I work in a small office, with 4 other women - one of who has being ttc for 10 years without success. I dread telling her - I don't want to be insensitive but this is my good news and I don't want to feel bad about being happy. Should I take her aside and tell her before everyone else or not make an issue of it and just announce to the whole office at coffee break ... Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Congrats :)

I think pulling her aside would be a bad idea, you'll make her feel more uncomforable that way :o, treat her the same as everyone else and share your good news with her in the group. I doubt she'll begrudge you your happiness tbh..

That would be my take on it anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Thanks xzanti, I think ur right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 5 penguins bars

I agree it definitely would be the best thing to say it to everyone together.

Someone took me to one side & told me recently they were pregnant (knowing that I have been trying myself for some time) and they said it in such an apologetic tone it made me feel terrible (for her).

I knew it had been hard for her to tell me (look of anxiety on her face said it all) and I felt like I was taking the good out of her excitement.
    The ironic thing was I was/am genuinely really delighted for her :)

Congratulations by the way!

Advertisement