Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vegetable oil - is it the same as sunflower oil ?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

As the title says

I was about to bake something and went to get the oil and noticed that it's veg oil that I have but the recipe is calling for sunflower.

anyone know if this will make a difference or are they more or less the same?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

You can go ahead, it won't make a difference.

Sunflower oil is a vegetable oil the way I see it, rapeseed oil is another one (a/k/a canola oil), peanut oil etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I find here that most of what is sold simply as generic 'vegetable oil' is in fact rapeseed oil, and anything else is sold under it's proper name (corn oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil etc.), but in the end they're all vegetable oils.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You'll be grand using sunflower or canola (rapeseed) oil for vegetable oil.

I wouldn't recommend substituting peanut, or any other nut or sesame, oil for vegetable oil because they're quite strongly flavoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Thanks for the reply's, I'll go ahead and use it so, I'll let ye know if there is any major difference in the bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are interchangable, interms of flavour and cooking.
    They aren't exactly the same, sunflower is a specific oil, vegetable is a generic name of any of a number of sources.
    It's prob impossible to tell the difference when using in a bread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

fitzcoff wrote: »
    As the title says

I was about to bake something and went to get the oil and noticed that it's veg oil that I have but the recipe is calling for sunflower.

anyone know if this will make a difference or are they more or less the same?

Thanks for any help

I think taste-wise, it won't make any difference at all.
    But I tend to go for sunflower oil rather than vegetable because sunflower oil can be heated without degrading and releasing toxins. With vegetable oil, you can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Only getting around to letting ye know how it went now. I was making courgette bread and I can't taste a difference in it so all is good,

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to take better notice of what I pick up when doing the shopping :D

Advertisement